oddsbuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
I'm an American "IMG" and already have a categorical position for 2006 but I can't seem to get a prelim position in IM or transitional. Does anyone know if you can get a PGY1 position any other way? I've registered in FindaResident but they haven't posted any prelim's in IM or transitional years yet. Also, how will the scramble work tomorrow? There are about 33 positions left in both categories

LisaY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2004
Status
Hi, I'm sorry, this is not an answer to your question, I just wanted to know - I arrived here from Aust. too late for the match, so I am sort-of scrambling (haven't done all my exams yet). How do you know which spots are still unfilled for categorical/prelim IM?
Thanks,
Lisa

IndyXRT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
oddsbuster said:
I'm an American "IMG" and already have a categorical position for 2006 but I can't seem to get a prelim position in IM or transitional. Does anyone know if you can get a PGY1 position any other way? I've registered in FindaResident but they haven't posted any prelim's in IM or transitional years yet. Also, how will the scramble work tomorrow? There are about 33 positions left in both categories
I had a similar problem (matched advanced position but not for PGY1). There is usually some way you can find a first year. While there may not be many "official" TYs or prelim IM years out there, you should be able to find a spot of some sort. What will happen: at a certain time on scramble day, a list is released with unfilled programs. You call around to find a spot. You will need access to the internet, long distance phone line, and fax (to send and receive contracts). Start with the official programs, but also look for IM, surgery, or FP (if your advanced position allows FP first year, which many will grudgingly do) programs that are unfilled. Some of these will agree to a one year contract just to have a warm body in the intern class. You should be able to secure something. Best of luck - I know how stressful this is (and yes, I did get a PGY1 spot, and am happily into my residency - it can be done).

OP
O

oddsbuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
LisaY said:
Hi, I'm sorry, this is not an answer to your question, I just wanted to know - I arrived here from Aust. too late for the match, so I am sort-of scrambling (haven't done all my exams yet). How do you know which spots are still unfilled for categorical/prelim IM?
Thanks,
Lisa
The unfilled positions are posted on the NRMP website. You have to register and participate in the match and lose to the match to access this info. The thread before mine has programs listed. A lot of them are already filled, unfortunately. Also, after the scramble, you can register with FindaResident.com and access more positions available. It's chaotic and I'm still "scrambling" but am hopeful. I'm relying on God and clear fax and phone lines!

OP
O

oddsbuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
IndyXRT said:
I had a similar problem (matched advanced position but not for PGY1). There is usually some way you can find a first year. While there may not be many "official" TYs or prelim IM years out there, you should be able to find a spot of some sort. What will happen: at a certain time on scramble day, a list is released with unfilled programs. You call around to find a spot. You will need access to the internet, long distance phone line, and fax (to send and receive contracts). Start with the official programs, but also look for IM, surgery, or FP (if your advanced position allows FP first year, which many will grudgingly do) programs that are unfilled. Some of these will agree to a one year contract just to have a warm body in the intern class. You should be able to secure something. Best of luck - I know how stressful this is (and yes, I did get a PGY1 spot, and am happily into my residency - it can be done).
Thanks for the info. Did you keep in touch with your categorical year position chairman during the scramble process? I'm not sure a PGY1 in FP or surgery would be ok for a neurology residency. Also, how do I ask for a one year contract? I would be willing to do any PGY1 just to keep my contract for PGY2 in 2006!

swedcrip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
oddsbuster said:
Thanks for the info. Did you keep in touch with your categorical year position chairman during the scramble process? I'm not sure a PGY1 in FP or surgery would be ok for a neurology residency. Also, how do I ask for a one year contract? I would be willing to do any PGY1 just to keep my contract for PGY2 in 2006!
you need a prelim internal medicine or transitional year for neurology. but make sure your neuro program accepts transitional years and that the transitionaly year would give you the 9 months of medicine required by the neuro boards (some are only 6 months, most are probably flexible to your needs).

by definition these 2 categories are 1 year contracts. there are still unfilled positions on nrmp, you may have to pay them for the info as it's updated to remove programs as they fill. you can't do fp or surgery

GucciMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Status
Try prelim Surgery, there was some designated only positions yesterday.

swedcrip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
GucciMD said:
Try prelim Surgery, there was some designated only positions yesterday.
why should he go through that hell when it won't count as his prelim year that he needs to be eligible to start his neurology residency? anesthesia and radiology may accept surgery prelims, neuro doesn't.

if some programs out there can't fill their categorical medicine spots or their combined med/peds, med/psych, etc spots, they might be able to give you a 1 yr contract. You'll just have to call, talk to the PROGRAM DIRECTOR, and ask. There's a good chance some residents will bail on their spots just before July 1 so you should keep trying. try and focus on institutions that are friendly to caribbean grads. the school you matched neuro at may by July 1 have a med spot. The neuro faculty there might be your biggest help here since you don't have a dean's office in the US. use their contacts if you can't find a spot on you own over the next couple of days

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Talk to your future PD and get some help. He/she may be able to assist you in finding a position - after all, its a lot easier for programs to find some extra dogh to fund a 1 year Prelim position than a categorical one. Your future PD may be able to scrounge up just such a job for you at his institution.

Things will settle out over the next few days and you may find that, as mentioned above, some programs would rather fill a categorical IM position with a warm body for a year rather than let it ( and the call schedule) go unfilled.

cobb_599

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Dupont Circle, D.C.
Status
Call the program directory for your categorical spot, they may have some pull at that institution.

oddsbuster said:

OP
O

oddsbuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
cobb_599 said:
Call the program directory for your categorical spot, they may have some pull at that institution.
Well it's 5:18 eastern time and still unmatched. Have exhausted all my resources (including PD of categorical prog) and still nothing. Is anyone in the same plight? What happens if you don't match after the scramble? Do you lose your categorical spot?

Obedeli

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Did you try prelim surgery? All transitionals???

swedcrip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
Obedeli said:
Did you try prelim surgery? All transitionals???
again, why would he do prelim surgery since he then wouldn't be able to start his neurology residency? It doesn't fulfill the neurology board requirements of ~9 months of medicine in that year. In his first post he said he couldn't get prelim medicine or transitional.

I don't think you automatically lose your neuro spot, but the program may get worried. I'm not sure they can drop you but I'm sure they'd like to know if you're getting one. Since that's for 2006 they might after July 1 know that you can't fulfill the intern year requirement. I'm guessing a good bet will be to wait for some of the categorical programs to get nervous about filling their spot closer to July 1. I'd call them now though (have they all shot you down 100%?). It's a tough situation.

Vwvvwvw

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2004
Status
Do any of you here feel whether all this scramble unfilled-positions' business just a lip service? Do they just fill already pre-determined friends and family candidates only via this subjective process? Do you think even beggers get better treatment than a scramble applicant?

Obedeli

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
swedcrip said:
again, why would he do prelim surgery since he then wouldn't be able to start his neurology residency? It doesn't fulfill the neurology board requirements of ~9 months of medicine in that year. In his first post he said he couldn't get prelim medicine or transitional.

I don't think you automatically lose your neuro spot, but the program may get worried. I'm not sure they can drop you but I'm sure they'd like to know if you're getting one. Since that's for 2006 they might after July 1 know that you can't fulfill the intern year requirement. I'm guessing a good bet will be to wait for some of the categorical programs to get nervous about filling their spot closer to July 1. I'd call them now though (have they all shot you down 100%?). It's a tough situation.
My bad, I didn't know it was neurology for sure. Just trying to help.

B

Blade28

Vwvvwvw said:
Do any of you here feel whether all this scramble unfilled-positions' business just a lip service? Do they just fill already pre-determined friends and family candidates only via this subjective process? Do you think even beggers get better treatment than a scramble applicant?
Uh...no, since people Scramble into non-home-programs all the time. I did. :)

ResidencyDream

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Status
Vwvvwvw said:

I feel you, maannn!

cadoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
ResidencyDream said:
I feel you, maannn!
No. If a program wanted it's "friends and family" they would just rank these people high. There is a reason that (in general) the top programs fill and the bottom programs don't. People want to go to the top programs and these programs aren't saving spots for the scramble to give away to friends.
I know it sucks but try again next year.

OP
O

oddsbuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
cadoc said:
No. If a program wanted it's "friends and family" they would just rank these people high. There is a reason that (in general) the top programs fill and the bottom programs don't. People want to go to the top programs and these programs aren't saving spots for the scramble to give away to friends.
I know it sucks but try again next year.
I'm down to calling the last 4 places available for prelim and TY. Still no interviews or call backs. I'm only able to get filled voice mails. I've sent emails, too. What now? Do I just keep calling or go back to work today and pray it all works out?

tangents

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
call your neuro PD ASAP, find him/her-no matter how-and explain

OP
O

oddsbuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
tangents said:
call your neuro PD ASAP, find him/her-no matter how-and explain
Got a phone call this morning that I'm on the short track for a phone interview today for TY. This place has to sift through 500 applications and are looking for people that have categorical positions. I emailed my PD and asked him to send an email to that PD. I've talked to the program coordinator and pored out my life story practically and she was positive. This is the first bite I've had. Anymore suggestions out there?

LittleRock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
oddsbuster said:
Got a phone call this morning that I'm on the short track for a phone interview today for TY. This place has to sift through 500 applications and are looking for people that have categorical positions. I emailed my PD and asked him to send an email to that PD. I've talked to the program coordinator and pored out my life story practically and she was positive. This is the first bite I've had. Anymore suggestions out there?
did ya have any luck?
got my fingers crossed for u..
hope it works out...

but even if u dont find a spot today..
be persistent.. u have couple mths still to secure a spot..

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
oddsbuster said:
Good on ya. Excellent move to contact your PD and ask him to discuss you with the interviewing PD. If you haven't heard back from him, please make sure you call his office asap so that this doesn't fall through the cracks. Not much else I can think of to do at this point except to kick &^* on the telephone interview (which I know you will do).

Best of luck...

OP
O

oddsbuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
Kimberli Cox said:
Good on ya. Excellent move to contact your PD and ask him to discuss you with the interviewing PD. If you haven't heard back from him, please make sure you call his office asap so that this doesn't fall through the cracks. Not much else I can think of to do at this point except to kick &^* on the telephone interview (which I know you will do).

Best of luck...
Wow! I'm still in shock--I got the phone interview and I got the position!!!! This has been one of them most interesting couple of days in my life! Apparently, my PD hadn't seen my email yet and had not contacted the PD there, so I know some divine intervention played a role in this! This forum has been such a support during this process---Thank all of you and God bless all of you for your insights and positive vibes . For people that haven't matched yet: Keep trying, it's a weird chaotic game but something will give. It did for me so I know it can happen to others. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and say a prayer!

shahkg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
oddsbuster said:
Wow! I'm still in shock--I got the phone interview and I got the position!!!! This has been one of them most interesting couple of days in my life! Apparently, my PD hadn't seen my email yet and had not contacted the PD there, so I know some divine intervention played a role in this! This forum has been such a support during this process---Thank all of you and God bless all of you for your insights and positive vibes . For people that haven't matched yet: Keep trying, it's a weird chaotic game but something will give. It did for me so I know it can happen to others. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and say a prayer!
CONGRATS dude!!!! Yup, I too thought that I would be done for...but at 11:30 today (Thursday) I got the call for a prelim surg spot...damn I'm happy that at least I got a spot :)

drgirl

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2004
Status
oddsbuster said:
Way to go!!! I was following this thread and was really happy to see that it all worked out :)

Koko

Koko
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Jungle
Status
oddsbuster said:
Congratulations to you and everyone else who's had to suffer through this hellish process. Happy to hear things worked out for you. Good luck and make the best of the opportunity.