Still waiting for LoRs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

welcometo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone still waiting for their teachers to finish their recs? It's been almost two months yet two of my professors haven't submitted anything. I've sent them reminders but they haven't responded yet - I'm starting to get worried. Is there anything I can do?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone still waiting for their teachers to finish their recs? It's been almost two months yet two of my professors haven't submitted anything. I've sent them reminders but they haven't responded yet - I'm starting to get worried. Is there anything I can do?

I am in the exact same boat. It BITES. Here's what I'm planning to do-- purchased 2 stamped Express envelopes, addressed them, stuck Interfolio release forms in them. Will go down to campus on Tuesday to track down the profs and give the envelopes to them.

I had already given them SASEs, but I figure this time if I track them down and give them prepaid Overnight shipping envelopes, that should send a message. Don't you think? One of the profs I know teaches a summer course so I know where to find her after the class ends :smuggrin: The other prof, unfortunately, is not teaching any summer courses so it's going to be hard to track him down.

Anyway, I guess the best thing to do is just to somehow track these people down in person. Good luck... I know how awful it is worrying about them. :luck:

It took about two months or so for my profs to get my letters in and I received them about a week and a half ago. Even though I told them to get them in early, both forgot within the week, even after they said they'd get to them.

What it really took to get them finished was to go in person and remind them. Both of them practically live on their computers, but talking to them face-to-face seemed to work faster and get a better response.

Members don't see this ad :)
if it makes you feeling any better, I'm in the same boat. Gave them all the info months ago, and have been peppering them with gentle reminders every 2-3 weeks or so. The last e-mail I wrote was more clear, basically something like, "I got my application submitted earlier than expected, and at this point, I'm just about ready to submit all my materials--including the recommendations--to schools so they can begin to review my application. Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide you with to help make the process easier and smoother on your end."

I got guarantees that it would be "done by the end of the week" (that was last week). At a certain point, you just have to wait. As long as mine come in this week, I'll be ok--I think another important thing though is to go back to your original communication with them and review the deadline you set. My deadline was "July 20th would be great, but no later really than the beginning of August." (I only submitted my primary two weeks ago..) So, if they've really missed the deadline, that's when you should start sending them more frequent reminders..

I asked my profs for letters a little over a month ago, and still none. I'm pretty disappointed because I knew my professors pretty well. Argh- I'll be sending out reminders this week.

The best thing you can do is to send them reminders and set firm deadlines. Unfortunately, I'm in an equally frustrating situation. Despite having all my letters in since 7/14, I've been waiting on my committee letter (I gave them all the materials they needed at the begining of April, including 3 of my LORs). My advisor finished writing the letter about a week ago, but her secretary was on vacation and hasn't uploaded the letters to VirtualEvals yet. She says she'll do it today... hopefully she'll keep to her word.