Still waiting Pre-interview - Letter of Interest/Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbo

MS-4
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's late in the game and I know much of the interview bolus has passed, but I am still waiting for 7 MD/PhD programs to get back to me pre-interview.

Since my AMCAS, I've submitted abstracts and had 4 co-author abstracts get presented (and on their way to publication). So the question is - should I send a letter of interest to the remaining schools that I have not heard from yet in the hopes they'll extend an interview invite? What say you.

Members don't see this ad.

writing a letter cant hurt, though id call first to see whats going on. i know things were slow during the holiday, but they should start picking up soon. good luck!

I've had two papers accepted since the start of the process, and all my schools (except for Stanford) were very receptive to the pre-interview update, so I can't imagine that it would hurt you. Maybe give all the schools a call to check, since some wanted only the citation, while others were will to add the abstract to my file.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would one say if they were to call in?

I just called and said something along the lines of, "Hello, I'm an applicant to the MSTP program, and one of my papers has been accepted for publication. I was hoping that an abstract or citation could be added to my file, and I wanted to check in to make sure that you accept updates, and find out how you would like me to send it."

Everyone except Stanford was willing to accept the update, and they all wanted it via email. Some wanted only the citation, some wanted to full abstract.