jclarke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Status
i applied to approximately 8 schools in NYC, half of them state schools. I was rejected from one state school and interviewed at 3 others plus one private school. two others, i'm on hold, the others i'm assuming i've been rejected or received a rejection letter. i have a 33 (2nd MCAT, 30 the first time, with the difference going from a 9 in BS to 13 in BS) and a 3.49 science GPA and just a slightly higher overall GPA from a non-competitive school.

Although I haven't been rejected post-interview, I've been put on "HOLD at 1 and just waiting to hear from the others.

Now, looking back at my interviews, I thought they went OK but I realize I could have done better. I hate talking about myself!

Also when I applied I did so really late, like November, December.
I also need to do more current volunteer work.

I've been thinking, however, long and hard if I want to reapply again or if I should go to the Caribbean, specifically St. George's. My boss' wife went there years ago and did extremely well and had absolutely no problem coming back here and opening her own practice. My mom is also IMG from the Philippines and has been practicing here as well with no problem. I realize there is a stigma, but I believe I can be one of those people that can do well on the USMLE no matter where I go.

I also don't want to go into anesthesiology or derm. I'd like to do Physical Medicine, which I don't believe is that desirable to residents in the US.
I guess the last thing everyone should know is that I already took a year off after college to work. So in my head, I feel like I'm already behind in this imaginary race to do something with my life.

Any thoughts on my situation--reapply without a guarantee of being accepted or try to get into SGU for August/January?

eulogia228

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Status
Personally, I REALLY don't think you should go to the caribbean. Your stats are solid dude, there's no reason you should have to go to St. George's, the Universidad de Colombia-Bogota (yeah, I know...it's south america..not the caribbean), Ross, etc. I really think that if you just apply to more schools, apply EARLIER, and work on some of the intangles in your app (essays, ECs, LORs, etc)...I really think you can be admitted to a decent American school. We're talking about 4 years of your life dude. You're right, being a Caribbean grad won't necessarily preclude you from getting a US residency, but do you really want to spend 4 years of your life in the Caribbean? A 33 MCAT is really solid and I think if you just did some planning (did some more research into schools with averages around yours) and applied earlier in the next cycle, I think you would definitely be admitted somewhere.

Regardless of what you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck wherever you go. I'm sure you'll be a great doc and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I think your stats are solid, don't know what hapened, but then again I believe you'll get in this year...keep the faith. :thumbup: I'd reapply next year while putting in some solid volunteer, shadowing etc etc. And most of all apply early! if you are reapplying you can always add St George's into the mix and maybe even a DO school but I really think if you pad the app with some new activities you'll ge tinto a good US allo school...and I woudn't give up for this year yet. all the best.

diosa428

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
Also, don't count on not wanting to do anesthesiology or derm, or wanting to do physical medicine. If you don't have a lot of experience in different medical areas (which may be an incorrect assumption, and if it is, I apologize in advance) you never know what's going to really grab you once you get to medical school, and you don't want to have to jump over any additional hurdles to get into the residency that you really want. Especially with stats like that. IF you don't get in this year, I would say the same thing as the others: reapply earlier, get some more volunteer work/clinical experience going for you, and maybe look into some other schools with stats close to yours, and you should get in. Good luck!

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
jclarke said:
i applied to approximately 8 schools in NYC, half of them state schools. I was rejected from one state school and interviewed at 3 others plus one private school. two others, i'm on hold, the others i'm assuming i've been rejected or received a rejection letter. i have a 33 (2nd MCAT, 30 the first time, with the difference going from a 9 in BS to 13 in BS) and a 3.49 science GPA and just a slightly higher overall GPA from a non-competitive school.

Although I haven't been rejected post-interview, I've been put on "HOLD at 1 and just waiting to hear from the others.

Now, looking back at my interviews, I thought they went OK but I realize I could have done better. I hate talking about myself!

I've been thinking, however, long and hard if I want to reapply again or if I should go to the Caribbean, specifically St. George's. My boss' wife went there years ago and did extremely well and had absolutely no problem coming back here and opening her own practice. My mom is also IMG from the Philippines and has been practicing here as well with no problem. I realize there is a stigma, but I believe I can be one of those people that can do well on the USMLE no matter where I go.

I also don't want to go into anesthesiology or derm. I'd like to do Physical Medicine, which I don't believe is that desirable to residents in the US.
I guess the last thing everyone should know is that I already took a year off after college to work. So in my head, I feel like I'm already behind in this imaginary race to do something with my life.

Any thoughts on my situation--reapply without a guarantee of being accepted or try to get into SGU for August/January?
One year off hardly puts you behind. The average age of most med schools is a few years older than the typical college grad age, and there are lots of much older nontraditional folks attending these days. Also, if you are good enough to be getting interviews this year, you are not very far from the mark with respect to getting in to a US school. Do a little upgrading of your ECs, get updated LORs, and practice your interviewing skills, and you will be in good shape for next time around.
I have no idea what you mean by "physical medicine", but note that the desirability of residencies is not only necessarilly by specialty but also by school and geography. Thus even if you will have the ability to get into the specialty you want from the carribean, you may have to take what you can get in terms of location and quality of program. I also agree with the prior poster who suggested that people change their minds as to what fields they like while doing med school rotations. Why preclude yourself from a better chance at a competitive or surgical specialty if you don't have to?

AmateurChef

Health policy consultant
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2001
Washington, DC
Status
1. Don't give up on your chances this year quite yet.
2. If you have to, reapply! Seriously. It's not the end of the world, I promise.

jclarke said:

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
if you want to be a physician, just reapply. You've already identified your weaknesses and can work on fixing these things for next year. Stay away from the Carribean as the schools suck and you'll be stigmatized for the rest of your career.

SteelEyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
jclarke said:
I also don't want to go into anesthesiology or derm.

FYI, anesthesiology is not hard to get into, although it is trending back to more competition, it is still pretty much a buyer's market. Derm on the other hand, prolly is the most difficult match.

Don't ever sell yourself short.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
If you're interested in PM&R, DO schools could be a really good fit for you.

Even if you're not interested in DO schools, I would reapply if I were you. One year goes by pretty quickly if you're busy. I think it's worth one year delay to stay in the US.

If you are serious about going Caribbean do some serious research on it. Read through the Caribbean forums, ask Caribbean students about their experience studying abroad, etc. Don't go to a Caribbean school just because you don't want to wait another year; go to a Caribbean school if you feel it is the best choice for your situation.

NPursuit

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Southern CaliFornIA
Status
eulogia228 said:
IWe're talking about 4 years of your life dude. You're right, being a Caribbean grad won't necessarily preclude you from getting a US residency, but do you really want to spend 4 years of your life in the Caribbean?
That sounds terrible! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'd be afraid of not wanting to leave if I went to school in the Caribbean. Especially on St. Martin/Saba.

That slow lifestyle. Perfect weather. Scuba diving when you want to. Cooling off in a waterfall. Vibrant Sunday mornings. Happening Friday nights. I'd trade big-city life for that anyday. Not as monetarily rewarding, I guess, but not a bad way to be.

But professionally speaking, I don't think I'd give up on the US match, and you significantly limit your options of out the Caribbean.

DHMO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2004
Status
I wanna echo what others have said about changing your mind for a desired specialty while in med school. When, I started med school, I also wanted to do PM&R, and I was pretty sure that I wouldn't change my mind. But, like most med students, I changed my mind about a hundred times during the first year as I talked with doctors from different specialties. I ended up doing some research in radiology in the summer after my first year and fell in love with the field. So, don't count the competitive fields out of the picture at this point in your training. If you end up deciding that you do want to match into a competitive field, I think you will really regret going to a Caribbean school.

OP
J

jclarke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Status
OK, I'll start posting in the Reapplicant forum, but anyone know if you're on hold/waitlisted this year, can you still submit AMCAS to those schools simultaneously?

And, I'm still crossing all my limbs for an acceptance from the three other schools I haven't heard from. I'm especially hoping for one of them where I felt my interviews went best.

It just gets discouraging seeing that "Accepted" thread grow longer and longer... :oops:

Thanks everyone! :luck: :luck:

malumd2b

uncouth donkey
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
chicago
Status
you know what, unfortunately the medical school competetion that a majority of furture MD's present will try to give you a stigma no matter what school you go to. Even if you get into a US medical school theres going to be some morons who try to make you feel downgraded based on which school it is. its ridiculous. Obviously it would be more advantageous to attend a medical school in the US however you have to look at what your needs are. If you cannot foresee stalling another year based on your own circumstances than its your choice to go the carribean or DO route. Carribean definitely carries a huge stigma, but most are two years or less there and the rest in the US and if your smart and a hard worker which I assume you are, you can succeed anywhere. A great deal of the best physicians that we have seen or heard of did not originally graduate or even reside in the US for their education. So if you can apply again otherwise make the best choice you can based on what you feel and disregard the stigma that anyone tries to give you.

OP
J

jclarke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Status
good luck to everyone whose lives are waitlisted

Cryptonacious

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
hey man, I really think u still have a terrific chance of getting in this year so take some initiative and call up some of the schools to let them know that you really loved their school and wanna go there! or maybe a letter in the mail would work too. goodluck!

jclarke said:
good luck to everyone whose lives are waitlisted

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jclarke said:
OK, I'll start posting in the Reapplicant forum, but anyone know if you're on hold/waitlisted this year, can you still submit AMCAS to those schools simultaneously?

And, I'm still crossing all my limbs for an acceptance from the three other schools I haven't heard from. I'm especially hoping for one of them where I felt my interviews went best.

It just gets discouraging seeing that "Accepted" thread grow longer and longer... :oops:

Thanks everyone! :luck: :luck:
It really does sound like an issue of you applying so late. The fact that you got interviews this year means that you are competitive. There is still a very good chance that you'll get in this year. I haven't even had an interview yet, but even I believe there's still a chance since some of the schools I applied to interview until May. So, if you don't get in this year, just apply in June this year. And yes, you can apply to the same schools that you are still waitlisted on. They won't be interviewing anybody until September at the earliest, after medical school for the previous year has already started.

Unless you want to go to the Caribbean for some reason, definitely don't do it. A 3.5/33 is actually above average for U.S. medical school matriculants (well, 3.5 is average, but 33 is higher). Don't let SDN throw you, most medical school people don't have such a high average GPA/MCAT as this site does.

Seahawkhopeful

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
Status
jclarke said:

Your MCATs are solid, dont sweat it if you have to put off going to med school a year....I wouldnt go to the Caribbean. Just remember 10 years from now you wont care if you had to wait a year if it meant getting in to a good school.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
jclarke said:

Reapply next year to MD and DO schools....

Going out of the country would be a bad idea, especially since you are a qualified applicant at the osteopathic medical school in New York.

cpatel301

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
Status
I think that it really doesn't matter where you go to medical school- its what you learn and how you use it. There are many great doc's who graduated from the US, and many great doc's who have not.

One example:
Dr. 90210- Dr. Raj Kanodia- did not graduate from a school in the US. but still got a residency in plastic surgery, and now has a very successful practice and if you want to call it- a sucessful entertainment career as well.

Although this is one extreme example- I am sure that there are plenty of other individuals who have studied medicine abroad and come back to practice successfully in the US.

kwc1979

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
cpatel301 said:
I think that it really doesn't matter where you go to medical school- its what you learn and how you use it. There are many great doc's who graduated from the US, and many great doc's who have not.

One example:
Dr. 90210- Dr. Raj Kanodia- did not graduate from a school in the US. but still got a residency in plastic surgery, and now has a very successful practice and if you want to call it- a sucessful entertainment career as well.

Although this is one extreme example- I am sure that there are plenty of other individuals who have studied medicine abroad and come back to practice successfully in the US.

That's funny. Where did he go?

YzIa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
cpatel301 said:

One example:

I have no idea who Dr. Kanodia is, but I assume he is Indian and did got his medical education in his home country, may have practiced there, and then came over here and got his residency and position. There are some good medical schools in India and other foreign countries, so that could be a very different situation than leaving the US to obtain a medical education.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
YzIa said:
I have no idea who Dr. Kanodia is, but I assume he is Indian and did got his medical education in his home country, may have practiced there, and then came over here and got his residency and position. There are some good medical schools in India and other foreign countries, so that could be a very different situation than leaving the US to obtain a medical education.
There is a big difference between being a foreign citizen and attending medical school in a foreign country and being and American and attending medical school in a foreign country only because your performance was too poor for any American school.

In most cases, the prestigious foreign medical schools don't accept American applicants anyway. These aren't the schools that litter your mailboxes after you register for the MCAT. These schools are the ones that send out mass mailing along with the podiatry school. Yes, you will often find them in the Caribbean.

cpatel301

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
Status
in your opinion is the percieved difference in thier reputation or thier performance as a doctor?

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
cpatel301 said:
in your opinion is the percieved difference in thier reputation or thier performance as a doctor?
I obviously can only account for reputation. Perhaps someone else has knowledge of performance.