Stimwars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aether2000

algosdoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Boston Scientific sent out this Dear Doctor letter today:

Dear Doctor,

We have recently received inquiries about developments in the patent case between Nevro and BSC. I am writing to provide some basic facts to help clarify some of the misinformation circling around this topic.

Nevro issued a July 25, 2018 press release stating that the Court "ruled in Nevro's favor" and "upheld," certain of Nevro's patent claims. This is both inaccurate and highly misleading because the Court did not rule in Nevro's favor or "uphold" any of Nevro's patent claims.

The fact is Nevro sued BSC for patent infringement and the Court ruled in favor of BSC on every single claim asserted by Nevro, eliminating the need for a jury trial. Specifically, the Court ruled that some of Nevro's patent claims are invalid as indefinite, and that BSC did not infringe the remaining claims. Nevro has stated that it plans to appeal.

Nevro also stated that it "believes" the Court's ruling would "preclude" BSC from development of unspecified future commercial products. This is also misleading as federal courts do not address unspecified future products.

Finally, this ruling has no impact on the cases BSC has brought against Nevro in Delaware. BSC believes that Nevro infringed more than a dozen BSC patents, including patents directed to core components of Nevro's devices as well as the misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential intellectual property. BSC will vigorously defend our patents and the intellectual property that allows us to provide world class technology to our customers and the patients they serve.

We look forward to continuing to advance the science and thank you for trusting us to provide you with the products and services you need to improve the lives of your patients.

Most sincerely,

mail

Allen Meacham
Vice President, US Neuromodlation

Members don't see this ad.

I hear different things from both reps. Bottom line- did Nevro lose exclusive rights to 10kHz stimulation? I can't get a straight answer

I hear different things from both reps. Bottom line- did Nevro lose exclusive rights to 10kHz stimulation? I can't get a straight answer
https://www.law.com/therecorder/201...-device-suit-for-now/?slreturn=20180702134040

I haven't seen the actual ruling/patents but the reports suggest that Nevro's patents loosely cover 1.5 - 10 kHz stimulation

Boston's system, like others, can do it and BoSci is doing it with their own hardware in a US clinical trial. BoSci currently can't open it up and sell a 1.5 kHz+ system though

Based on the latest, it looks like BoSci has decided it doesn't need to do 1.5 kHz+ right now so they're going to quit fighting about it.
https://www.massdevice.com/nevro-boston-scientific-bury-the-hatchet/

Members don't see this ad :)
Chhabria Snuffs Nevro's Medical Device Suit, for Now | The Recorder

I haven't seen the actual ruling/patents but the reports suggest that Nevro's patents loosely cover 1.5 - 10 kHz stimulation

Boston's system, like others, can do it and BoSci is doing it with their own hardware in a US clinical trial. BoSci currently can't open it up and sell a 1.5 kHz+ system though

Based on the latest, it looks like BoSci has decided it doesn't need to do 1.5 kHz+ right now so they're going to quit fighting about it.
https://www.massdevice.com/nevro-boston-scientific-bury-the-hatchet/
Do the surgeons deal with this same crap? Device companies flat out lying to their faces? Companies withholding access to technology (like St Jude withholding DRG and Vertiflex withholding Superion) to give your competing docs an advantage over you? Add that to the fact that in Pain Medicine there are a boat load of unaccredited fellowships (soon to have their own "certification") and a half dozen ways to get a string of initials after your name (DABPM, FIPP, CIPS, etc) that are outside of the ABMS. Does this exist in any of the other specialties? What an effen circus we are part of.

Reactions: 3 users
Somewhat in this vain, check out the documentary on Netflix " The Bleeding Edge" about medical devices companies and their power

Reactions: 1 user
Did you see $NVRO drop Tuesday last week without any released news?

Last edited by a moderator:
Venture backed companies tend to be very aggressive on the PR spin