Stinky food in class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abilene85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what snack foods people eat in class that you absolutely cannot tolerate. Please feel free to vent and inform the rest of us so we do not torture those who sit around us.

I’ll start…

Broccoli. I like the vegetable, but I never realized how much it smells when you aren’t eating it. I almost had to move, because every breeze through the lecture hall would send a wave of stench to my nostrils.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious what snack foods people eat in class that you absolutely cannot tolerate. Please feel free to vent and inform the rest of us so we do not torture those who sit around us.

I’ll start…

Broccoli. I like the vegetable, but I never realized how much it smells when you aren’t eating it. I almost had to move, because every breeze through the lecture hall would send a wave of stench to my nostrils.

The only thing I don't like in class is when a student in the row behind me unleashes an 8-course meal at like 10 o'clock in the morning, crunching on cantalope, stinking the room up with hard-boiled eggs, and spilling their goddamn trail mix on like half the class. On the day we were learning about Maple Syrup Urine Disease, I swear someone behind me must have had the disease, only to realize they were chowing down on a Denny's Grand Slam French Toast / Eggs / Bacon / Hashbrowns from the school cafeteria or something like that.

Please follow this rule: If it can't be held in a ziploc bag AND eaten with your hands, do NOT bring it to class. Period.

Chips, fish, apples, carrots, celery, popcorn, nuts.

Anything with a strong smell and crunchy sound. There is no way to eat chips or celery politely during lecture.

Also, anyone who eats anything that can't chew with thier lips together.

On another note...why is it that people have to eat all the time and everywhere? Can't we eat our food during breakfast, BEFORE class; eat our lunch and snacks INBETWEEN class; eat our dinner AFTER class?

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing I don't like in class is when a student in the row behind me unleashes an 8-course meal at like 10 o'clock in the morning, crunching on cantalope, stinking the room up with hard-boiled eggs, and spilling their goddamn trail mix on like half the class. On the day we were learning about Maple Syrup Urine Disease, I swear someone behind me must have had the disease, only to realize they were chowing down on a Denny's Grand Slam French Toast / Eggs / Bacon / Hashbrowns from the school cafeteria or something like that.

Please follow this rule: If it can't be held in a ziploc bag AND eaten with your hands, do NOT bring it to class. Period.

Preach it brother, preach it. :thumbup:

Well, I for one like to bring my george foreman grill along with a small cooler with my daily T-bone along with some onions. :laugh:

Chips, fish, apples, carrots, celery, popcorn, nuts.

Anything with a strong smell and crunchy sound. There is no way to eat chips or celery politely during lecture.

Also, anyone who eats anything that can't chew with thier lips together.

On another note...why is it that people have to eat all the time and everywhere? Can't we eat our food during breakfast, BEFORE class; eat our lunch and snacks INBETWEEN class; eat our dinner AFTER class?

seriously. you'd think some of these folks were going on a day hike with all the food that they bring. anything crunchy should be outlawed.

Tuna.

Why?? Do you feel the need to torture the rest of the class?

Maybe this is just me, but I think eating warm food in class is just plain rude to others. If I'm absolutely starving, I'll just stick to a cold sandwich or something. Obviously not everyone is this observant.

I would say the worst is sea food (tuna, fish, etc...). After that, tacos, bean burritos, etc.

There's a Chipotle across the street from my school, and people actually go out, buy a burrito and bring it in to eat during exams...makes me a little ill.:thumbdown:

When class starts at 8 AM there is no way to eat breakfast unless I get to bed before 11.

I really hate when people bring fast food into lecture, the greasy smell just overwhelms me.

White cheddar popcorn. Possibly the most obnoxious smelling snack food in the world.

There's this girl in my class who was completely obnoxious. She'd come to school dressed in basically lingerie, then she'd have a grocery bag full of food that she'd hit people in the back of the heads with as she walked into class late, then she'd rummage through it for her food. Her food didn't generally smell bad, but she was highly annoying and distracting.

This other girl sat near me, and she'd eat cucumbers. I can't stand the smell of cucumbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
The lingerie girl sounds intolerable. I seriously wonder how these people will behave in clinic when they graduate from med school. Although every year there are a few *****s who lose their licenses because they were caught having sex with a patient in the ER or something else equally inappapropriate, and I am guessing there were warning signs all the way back in med school.

Ughhh I HATE smelly food! Just last week it STANK like tuna fish, and I was chatting with my friends about it, and looking for the culprit, when someone a few rows behind yells out, its salmon!! EW, doesn't make it any better does it? Who the hell brings a meal to class? Its definitly rude.

The lingerie girl sounds intolerable. I seriously wonder how these people will behave in clinic when they graduate from med school. Although every year there are a few *****s who lose their licenses because they were caught having sex with a patient in the ER or something else equally inappapropriate, and I am guessing there were warning signs all the way back in med school.

I for one wonder how people will handle clinics and the accompanying stench of blood, urine, and vomit when they get their panties in a twist over a few vegetables and burritos. My sister hates the smell of coffee. Thank God she didn't go to med school.

I for one wonder how people will handle clinics and the accompanying stench of blood, urine, and vomit when they get their panties in a twist over a few vegetables and burritos. My sister hates the smell of coffee. Thank God she didn't go to med school.

I'm doing fine on the wards with those smells you listed, and I did fine when I worked in a lab as a phlebotomist/lab assistant doing sputum/stool cultures, etc. Fortunately, those smells don't give me migraines, some food (and perfume) smells do. Coffee also smells/tastes bad.

I for one wonder how people will handle clinics and the accompanying stench of blood, urine, and vomit when they get their panties in a twist over a few vegetables and burritos.

Sick people can't help bleeding, peeing, and vomiting, but classmates can certainly be considerate and try to avoid eating stinky foods when everyone is trapped in the same room all day.

How can someone take a test while eating a Chipotle burrito?

And on a semi-related note: A few days ago I took out some greasy-good Long John Silvers and the bag smelled like cadaver. Something in the plastic. Appetizing!

Who the hell brings a meal to class? Its definitly rude.

Now that I'm on the wards, I eat in noon conference every single day. I'd never get lunch if I didn't!

What the hell, we are not allowed to eat during classes. We are only allowed to drink water.
I guess the discipline in your schools is low.

at our school ur allowed to eat anything, anywhere (unless its during an exam).

and i don't mind the food smells usually, unless i'm really hungry and it smells really good.

sometimes, it's not even that the food smells bad, but it's the annoyance that someone's imposing their odors all over you.

at our school ur allowed to eat anything, anywhere (unless its during an exam).

We're even allowed to eat during exams. There are certain restrictions - like exam food must be quiet (so no chips - open granola bar wrappers before the test begins, etc).

Sick people can't help bleeding, peeing, and vomiting, but classmates can certainly be considerate and try to avoid eating stinky foods when everyone is trapped in the same room all day.

haha, but hungry people can't help eating, and i certainly never would have foreseen brocolli or cucumbers being offensive. but heck, i'm the sort of person who brings my hot pocket to class, and i don't really see a problem with that.

my school HANDS OUT snacks during exams lol

it's not so bad when it's cookies (the prof walks around with the tray handing them out) but it's often granola bars, rice crispe squares and other wrapped things lol

my school HANDS OUT snacks during exams lol

it's not so bad when it's cookies (the prof walks around with the tray handing them out) but it's often granola bars, rice crispe squares and other wrapped things lol

earplugs are a WONDERFUL thing!

haha, but hungry people can't help eating, and i certainly never would have foreseen brocolli or cucumbers being offensive. but heck, i'm the sort of person who brings my hot pocket to class, and i don't really see a problem with that.

If you overcook the brocolli or brussels sprouts you release a whole lot of sulfur. It's not good.

Tropical Mix is sooooo much better. That's usually what I have in my ziploc bags during class. I am very careful about avoiding anything crunchy, because I get really self-conscious and feel like everyone can hear me eating. Although I sometimes do take banana chips.

But, I do agree, anything smelly (eggs, fish, broccoli, popcorn, etc) is offensive and shouldn't be allowed. Of course, then we get into arguments as to what is a "bad" smell for each individual, and then we end up banning all foods.

Of course, then we get into arguments as to what is a "bad" smell for each individual, and then we end up banning all foods.

Maybe there needs to be a limit on foods of a certain scent intensity/distance from source.

i can't imagine eating anything during an exam. can't you eat BEFORE the exam??? what if you shlopped some refried bean from your burrito onto your scantron. would you get it replaced?

:rolleyes:

this is why i don't go to lecture. i don't have to smell anyone's food and i can eat anything i want without offending anyone.

Not so bothered by food in class (mayeb where I sit has something to do with it) but i really hate how our "house rooms" smell after 2 months into M1.... in one room, opening the fridge = must leave the room!

I have a good friend who I once made the mistake of sitting next to during an exam. She left the exam to go to the cafeteria, BOUGHT a sandwich with red onions on it, and proceeded to return to the exam to eat it, rustling sandwich-paper and all. If it weren't a pass/fail course I might have smacked her.

i havent really smelt anyone's food in my class...it hasnt been really anything over the top (like fish...i swear if someone brings fish i will smack them)....it really hasnt been anything too bad.

Haha. I did notice there were a number of interesting foods that people would bring to class, of course this issue became irrelevant when I promptly stopped going to class.

its not so much the smell of food as the number of cups of coffee that seem to get kicked over in lecture...and the lecture hall slopes forward :laugh: coffee flood!