Stock Market 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You not noticing shouldn't give you reason to whine about the content of posts. Also "the more positive indicators a stock has, the higher likelihood of success"? According to what rigorous academic study have they proven to forecast long term returns in the future? None that I have seen. Now if you want to start a thread about short term trading, please feel free to do so. I do not believe that has any relevance in a discussion of investment.

Charts are great for determining what you should have previously done. As for me, I will continue to regularly pour money into low cost funds on a regular schedule at a predetermined asset allocation. The rest of my fun money will be value invested into individual holdings and held for decades. This strategy has worked well for me through multiple market cycles and I see no reason to doubt it now.

Good. Now stop losing sleep over the way people choose to invest. I'm glad your strategy is working out for you. I don't think it is a bad strategy. It's just not the best one.

Members don't see this ad.

Good. Now stop losing sleep over the way people choose to invest. I'm glad your strategy is working out for you. I don't think it is a bad strategy. It's just not the best one.

I'm not losing sleep, I'm ridiculing those that don't know what they don't know. It's a fun habit of mine. Those that can't produce evidence of the long term benefits of their strategy probably shouldn't tout that strategy. We can bump this 10 years from now and chuckle.

edit: and I don't really want to be mean spirited, mostly just trying to help people invest more wisely. If people want to trade based on charts and momentum and what not they can feel free. They just shouldn't pretend it will provide any superior return long term going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm more interested in following what's going on in the market

Don't follow what's going in the market - at least in terms of investing your retirement funds. Low cost index funds. Set it and forget it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is best to wait until the market stabilizes. Once we have a stable market, we need to go in aggressively before the bargains are gone.

Our job during the next few days/weeks is to determine what securities are well positioned (good technical and fundamental parameters) so when stabilization occurs we can buy them quickly before the price goes up again. Time to read and deploy your stock screeners!
Buy quickly before the prices go up... Wait until the market stabilizes...

Sure seems like timing the market to me.

You don't have to make it simple. I can keep up. Thanks for thinking of me, though. Ad hominem's don't work too well against a philosophy major, BTW.

You are saying this like you are performing asset rebalancing, which is interesting because most proponents do that based on time (checking your allocations every 1-3 years) or by band (if it swings outside a certain percentage of your desired asset allocation, say 5% above or below). I am all for rebalancing assets.

What you are describing to me sounds more like a technician or chartist who is trying to guess where the numbers will "hold" or "gather more strength."

As I literally sit on my couch reading "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" I just have to laugh at the irony of this conversation.

For what it's worth, Blade, I have actually followed your comments for a while and think you add a bunch of really good insight to the forum in multiple ways. I am not trying to attack you. I am just questioning the name of what your are describing. It doesn't sound like rebalancing to me because yours is based on where you perceive the market to be "strong or weak" or "up or down." Thats technical analysis of the market at best. At worst, it's speculation.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Stocks now risk retesting February sell-off lows on trade-war fears
  • March rolled in like a lion, taking a big bite out of stock market gains, and it may be a sign of more to come as investors consider a more aggressive trade policy from the White House, analysts said.
  • The S&P broke an important threshold Thursday but held its 100-day moving average.
  • However, some strategists said the threat of a trade war could mean stocks could retest the lows of February.

• March rolled in like a lion, taking a big bite out of stock market gains, and it may be a sign of more to come as investors consider a more aggressive trade policy from the White House, analysts said.
  • The S&P broke an important threshold Thursday but held its 100-day moving average.
  • However, some strategists said the threat of a trade war could mean stocks could retest the lows of February.

@BLADEMDA you love antagonizing me haha.

In all honesty, I wish you and your technical analysis all the best. I'll never be a believer, though. It's been debunked too many times.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Unknown.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user