Stock market 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now approaching $1200/share.

LCID is now a WSB meme stock too. Just starting deliveries now.

Looks more probable that it is going to double in the next 2-3 years. Lots of potential for growth outside of EV vehicles plus its got the brand recognition and charger network. Don't see the masses buying the other brands much sort of like the iphone branded itself. Calling 1500 by q1 2022 and 2000 by eoy 2022.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Things might become more interesting once Lucid introduces less expensive versions - Air Touring ($95,000) and Air Pure ($77,400), which should have a range of 406 miles (653 km) - on par with Tesla Model S LR AWD, at a similar or lower MSRP. This chapter needs to be written still... meanwhile the Mercedes-Benz EQS is coming too.
More about Lucid Air
lucid air epa range efficiency Lucid Air EPA Range And Efficiency Results Compared

lucid air epa range ratings Lucid Air EPA Range Rating Amazes At Up To 520 Miles
1635825041161.png

Reactions: 3 users
Looks more probable that it is going to double in the next 2-3 years. Lots of potential for growth outside of EV vehicles plus its got the brand recognition and charger network. Don't see the masses buying the other brands much sort of like the iphone branded itself. Calling 1500 by q1 2022 and 2000 by eoy 2022.
Clearly you weren’t investing in stocks 1999-2000.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is Rivian continuing to fly under the radar? I have been watching it for some time now and see it as more than a contender...maybe a game changer.

How is Rivian continuing to fly under the radar? I have been watching it for some time now and see it as more than a contender...maybe a game changer.

They are not cheap 70K Plus. Tesla cybertruck is going to be somewhere in the 40-50k range. They are also going to release a 25k electric in 2023. If they actually follow through with those 2 things it will be even tougher for the competition. I dont own an electric as they are too costly but even i would be tempted if a 25k version comes plus tax incentives.

Tesla cybertruck is going to be somewhere in the 40-50k range
Rofl at this. The cheapest (rwd white and black interior lfp battery) model 3 is now $45,490 . And I'm sure that if they start getting tax incentives again Elon/Tesla will steal more money from the tax pater.

Also, any of you crypto peeps following Loopring? There's expected to be more increased price action when they officially announce/release their project.

I like hifi and started noticing power amps using GaN chips about 2 years ago. Thought it was interesting but it’s a very small market. Then I noticed compact rapid chargers also using GaN chips. GaN chips are apparently smaller and much more efficient than silicon.

Cree research was a blue LED and silicon company that was a high flyer during the first tech boom. It switched gears into GaN and rebranded itself as Wolfspeed. It recently had blowout earnings. GaN is a high growth area.

So what exactly happened to the democrat tax plan? Are we likely staying at 20 percent Capital gains, top income tax rate unchanged, backdoor/mega all intact ?

So what exactly happened to the democrat tax plan? Are we likely staying at 20 percent Capital gains, top income tax rate unchanged, backdoor/mega all intact ?
As with literally every other budget in history, wait to see what is passed because it is never what they initially say it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing concrete yet.

Rumor is the SALT deduction limit may be raised to $72500 which would be nice.

That is massive. Would be very popular in my old, eastern, tax happy neck of the woods. But would it change the incentive that much for someone considering moving to Florida or Texas or Tennessee anyway? Any state tax is more than zero even if some of it gets discounted.

I'm going to keep riding that VTSAX train or similar for the year of 2021.

For those who’ve been paying attention the S&P is up 43% over the past year and 24% year to date. I juiced my returns with some riskier bets but that works in a bull market fueled by stimulus money.

That is massive. Would be very popular in my old, eastern, tax happy neck of the woods. But would it change the incentive that much for someone considering moving to Florida or Texas or Tennessee anyway? Any state tax is more than zero even if some of it gets discounted.

Popular in Ca too.

For those who’ve been paying attention the S&P is up 43% over the past year and 24% year to date. I juiced my returns with some riskier bets but that works in a bull market fueled by stimulus money.

we have posters here that put all their savings into buying S&P puts back in April/May last year. I do not think they came out very well on those trades. Unfortunately they deleted user profile so I cannot link to it (looking at you Kevin Durant).

But yes, stocks have been on a rip roaring run for 18 months

makes perfect sense during a pandemic. Just like it makes perfect sense that Apple went from $1 trillion in market cap to $2 trillion in six months. Or that Tesla is a $1.2 trillion company.

makes perfect sense during a pandemic. Just like it makes perfect sense that Apple went from $1 trillion in market cap to $2 trillion in six months. Or that Tesla is a $1.2 trillion company.
Tesla added most market cap (400B) of any company in last 12 days apparently. I think we all see a crash/correction coming, but it could be in a week, a month, a year, 5 years etc.

That’s why for most people the “winning move” is to shovel $ into the market on a regular basis and not even treat it as real money.

Tesla added most market cap (400B) of any company in last 12 days apparently. I think we all see a crash/correction coming, but it could be in a week, a month, a year, 5 years etc.

That’s why for most people the “winning move” is to shovel $ into the market on a regular basis and not even treat it as real money.

Don’t forget to rebalance back to target.

Just a quick reminder: current ibond interest rate is 7.12%. I believe the inflation rate 6 months later will still be high. So you should be able to get at least one year high rate. Good place to put emergency fund.

Just a quick reminder: current ibond interest rate is 7.12%. I believe the inflation rate 6 months later will still be high. So you should be able to get at least one year high rate. Good place to put emergency fund.

you can only purchase $10,000 of i bonds per year so won't really cut it for most emergency funds

Reactions: 1 user
Can’t be cashed for 1 year, lose 3 months interest if cashed before 5 years. Not ideal for emergency fund.

Actually, you can buy $15,000 per year using tax return refund to purchase additional 5k per person.

you can only purchase $10,000 of i bonds per year so won't really cut it for most emergency funds
If you're so motivated, you can get a tax refund paid in i bonds. I think the limit is $5K per year? You'd just have to deliberately overpay your taxes.

So up to $30K per year for a couple filing jointly, $10K individual purchase for each, and $5K tax refund for you and spouse? Seems easy enough to shift cash in that direction over a couple or three years.

I don't personally see a need or benefit to having an emergency fund into six figures, so the i bond thing seems doable.

Can’t be cashed for 1 year, lose 3 months interest if cashed before 5 years. Not ideal for emergency fund.

Actually, you can buy $15,000 per year using tax return refund to purchase additional 5k per person.

It's not ideal if you're in the habit of needing/using the emergency fund. :) I'd wager that for most of us that cash just sits there year after year after year.

It's not ideal if you're in the habit of needing/using the emergency fund. I'd wager that for most of us that cash just sits there year after year after year.
Most anesthesiologists at least a few years out of training really don't need an emergency fund. A home equity line of credit, plus other borrowing power should be more than enough. I have been buying the max in I-Bonds for self and spouse for awhile and it does add up. I think that you can also put in the name of a living trust, so if you and spouse each have a trust you can put $40K per year into them. Also, as far as the tax refund thing goes, it is $5K per tax return. So unless you and spouse file separately you can only get $5k per year. Also they are given as paper Bonds. Lots of small denominations. I did the tax refund thing for a few years, it was a bit of a pain so I gave it up.

Note how suddenly lots of people are talking about I-Bonds while prior to the last year or two nobody had an interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inflation as noted in the Ibonds is at the highest rate but the chart only goes as far back as 1998. You can clearly see a big spike in inflation by reviewing the chart.

We are gonna see more fiat printing than ever. They will not taper. The treasury and US central Bank is trapped. Taper and the interest rate goes up and equity market crashes. Best to print and Hope hyperinflation doesn’t occur.

I’ll believe a taper when it actually happens and not talk of it.

We are gonna see more fiat printing than ever. They will not taper. The treasury and US central Bank is trapped. Taper and the interest rate goes up and equity market crashes. Best to print and Hope hyperinflation doesn’t occur.

I’ll believe a taper when it actually happens and not talk of it.
sorry, the trickery is not that simple. The fiat printing is targeted, meaning only goose up those that are clogging and seizing up. Interbank lending, Libor , USD Index, Oil price , stock market are all price fixing rigged schemes to hide the inflation. Unfortunately Health care is very labor intensive and you cannot hide inflation so easily without serious dislocations/ bankruptcy/reorganization .

Health care demand which is inflationary is targeted by Rationing it. Taper is not going to happen . Wall Street darlings get easy money, so much so one company increased its net worth by 400 billion dollars in a few months.
Hiding hyperinflation So the mainstream joe cannot see it

I think One should just not fight the markets rather invest in a few well known companies. I think Blade has a good sense of moderation and lot of smart advise here

sorry, the trickery is not that simple. The fiat printing is targeted, meaning only goose up those that are clogging and seizing up. Interbank lending, Libor , USD Index, Oil price , stock market are all price fixing rigged schemes to hide the inflation. Unfortunately Health care is very labor intensive and you cannot hide inflation so easily without serious dislocations/ bankruptcy/reorganization .

Health care demand which is inflationary is targeted by Rationing it. Taper is not going to happen . Wall Street darlings get easy money, so much so one company increased its net worth by 400 billion dollars in a few months.
Hiding hyperinflation So the mainstream joe cannot see it

I think One should just not fight the markets rather invest in a few well known companies. I think Blade has a good sense of moderation and lot of smart advise here

LIBOR? You've got less than 4 weeks left to complain about that one.

S&P closed today at all time high so 2021 turned out to be another very good year for equities continuing a long, long bull run

They are not cheap 70K Plus. Tesla cybertruck is going to be somewhere in the 40-50k range. They are also going to release a 25k electric in 2023. If they actually follow through with those 2 things it will be even tougher for the competition. I dont own an electric as they are too costly but even i would be tempted if a 25k version comes plus tax incentives.

Elon Musk is manic, and as history shows I wouldn't trust a word of what he says in terms of pricing.

Tesla stock is way over priced. Reminds me of dot com stocks in 2000. Great for trading or short term hold but way too high a valuation for long term

Tesla stock is way over priced. Reminds me of dot com stocks in 2000. Great for trading or short term hold but way too high a valuation for long term

I was still in high school qt the time but I was really into computer technology then and j remember the dot com boom very well. Plenty of companies that had no short or long term plan for generating revenue and where the strategy was to spend spend spend to gain more users and presumably the market share. No big surprise when so many went bust. Is it really the same? I wouldn't even say it is similar.

It seems pretty resilient considering daily youtube videos of FSD trying to kill people, massive recalls, and Elon Musk unloading $11bil this month. But that’s only a small percentage of its $1.1T market cap.

Reactions: 2 users
I was still in high school qt the time but I was really into computer technology then and j remember the dot com boom very well. Plenty of companies that had no short or long term plan for generating revenue and where the strategy was to spend spend spend to gain more users and presumably the market share. No big surprise when so many went bust. Is it really the same? I wouldn't even say it is similar.

That’s Amazon

• Haha
It seems pretty resilient considering daily youtube videos of FSD trying to kill people, massive recalls, and Elon Musk unloading $11bil this month. But that’s only a small percentage of its $1.1T market cap.
This is the exact reason I have not purchased a Tesla. The fit and finish is generally crap, and I’m not massively overpaying for an electric car so that King Elon can fly to Mars. In the next year or two we should have much more affordable options for electric cars.

This is the exact reason I have not purchased a Tesla. The fit and finish is generally crap, and I’m not massively overpaying for an electric car so that King Elon can fly to Mars. In the next year or two we should have much more affordable options for electric cars.
BMW/Audi/Mercedes are all coming out w/ EV vehicles in 2022 meant to compete w/ Tesla, seeking to regain some of the huge number of customers Tesla has taken from them. I'm sure they'll sell a decent amount of cars. But when you look at what you're getting in terms of range and performance and compare the price points, Tesla still has them beat IMO. They're still gonna do extremely well. And you also gotta factor in Tesla's supercharger network across the globe which is already pretty vast and still growing. No one can really compete with that at the present time

BMW/Audi/Mercedes are all coming out w/ EV vehicles in 2022 meant to compete w/ Tesla, seeking to regain some of the huge number of customers Tesla has taken from them. I'm sure they'll sell a decent amount of cars. But when you look at what you're getting in terms of range and performance and compare the price points, Tesla still has them beat IMO. They're still gonna do extremely well. And you also gotta factor in Tesla's supercharger network across the globe which is already pretty vast and still growing. No one can really compete with that at the present time

Especially in the large sedan category, Tesla ate them alive. At least in Ca, nobody buys big Audis, Mercedes, or BMWs any more. Their SUVs do a bit better though.

Especially in the large sedan category, Tesla ate them alive. At least in Ca, nobody buys big Audis, Mercedes, or BMWs any more. Their SUVs do a bit better though.

The q7s, x5s and glses I see in the doctors lot argue otherwise. See some cayennes too.

The q7s, x5s and glses I see in the doctors lot argue otherwise. See some cayennes too.

I said the SUVs do okay. But do you see any Mercedes s class, Audi a6 or a8’s, or bmw 5 or 7 series? 10 years ago they were fairly common but they’re now all replaced by teslas.

I don't think ppl realize how big of an impact Tesla made and how hard they hit other car companies. They put BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc all in scramble mode to significantly expedite their EV timelines

Reactions: 2 users
Tesla has the batteries and the chargers. The cars overall are relatively cheap and crappy compared to luxury brands. Can Tesla upgrade the feel of their vehicles faster than the luxury car makers can upgrade their batteries?

B2C27723-00E9-41AB-B3C9-71FE05AF7546.jpeg

But the $100-150k BTC by EOY predictions did not pan out. Can’t win them all.

I said the SUVs do okay. But do you see any Mercedes s class, Audi a6 or a8’s, or bmw 5 or 7 series? 10 years ago they were fairly common but they’re now all replaced by teslas.

Woops I read your post wrong. Pretty true. I see a lot of audi s class but yeah other ones are harder to see. I am against tesla as musk is a dbag who got so much help and government handouts for his company but now acts like he built it all himself.

Woops I read your post wrong. Pretty true. I see a lot of audi s class but yeah other ones are harder to see. I am against tesla as musk is a dbag who got so much help and government handouts for his company but now acts like he built it all himself.

But you have to give him credit that he did disrupt and accelerate transformation of the auto industry. Remember this and how it went nowhere?

3E7DB91D-1151-4067-AB89-B58CE2717B85.jpeg

The EV1 and the MOOC​

Lessons for higher education from the demise of GM’s 1990s electric car.

By​

Joshua Kim

October 3, 2018

EV1 electric car
What to do with the MOOC?
That is a question that many schools that began programs to build and run open online courses in those heady MOOC bubble days of 2012 are asking themselves six years later.
In answering the question about what to do with our MOOC programs, we might want to look to the story of the General Motors EV1.
Remember the EV1?
Maybe you saw the 2006 documentary film Who Killed the Electric Car? Our collective memory is that GM killed the EV1 to protect the company’s insanely profitable business of selling gas-guzzling SUVs. Remember the Hummer?
We remember how GM refused to renew the leases on the EV1, and how they sentenced the returned electric vehicles to the crusher. GM didn’t just stop selling the EV1 -- it destroyed them.
The real reason that GM killed the EV1 was not some diabolical plot to protect a business built around gas guzzlers. Instead, the reasons were far more prosaic and depressing. GM killed the EV1 because it was too expensive -- the car had a fully loaded development cost of nearly $1 million per vehicle. In the face of little demand for a two-seat car that could only go 50 miles on a charge, GM could not justify continuing the program.
Why did GM refuse to allow EV1 owners to keep their vehicles? The reason is that the company was afraid of liability. It didn’t know if the lead-acid batteries would be safe.
Why did GM crush those cars that they repossessed? Chalk that one up to the dysfunction of GM’s management circa 1999.
The fascinating question is where would have GM been if it had maintained its investment in the EV1 experiment?
A convincing analysis of the mistake that GM made in killing the EV1 appears in the new book Autonomy: The Quest to Build the Driverless Car -- and How It Will Reshape Our World, co-written by Lawrence Burns. Burns was GM's vice president of research and development for 30 years and today is an adviser to Google’s (Waymo) self-driving car initiative. He writes that:
When we halted EV1, General Motors was likely five years ahead of everyone else on battery-electric vehicles. We had two generations of improved batteries in the pipeline, including nickel metal hydride for production development and, a little further off, lithium-ion in technology development.
In hindsight, we should have pivoted the EV1 program into a hybrid vehicle. A few years later, with the hybrid Prius, Toyota is said to have accepted that the first round of vehicles were going to lose money -- and then they improved on that first generation.
Had we accepted that profitability wouldn’t come until several vehicle generations down the road, had we accepted that this was something worth doing for the long term -- then we could have engineered a hybrid gas-electric powertrain, put it in the EV1 platform, added a backseat and been on the U.S. market years before the Prius. Meanwhile, Toyota got a few more generations’ worth of learning ahead of us, and they became known as the industry’s green automaker.
Even from the vantage point of the late 1990s, it was clear to many that the auto industry would have to change eventually. And that the environmental, economic and security implications of relying on foreign oil to make gasoline to run our automobiles would exact an increasingly high price.
Today, Tesla is valued higher than General Motors ($52.5 billion vs. $47.5 billion). Every car company is scrambling to bring out hybrid and electric models. GM could have been way ahead of the game.
We should think of today’s MOOCs as yesterday’s EV1.
When compared to traditional online courses, today’s MOOCs are not very good. Open online courses do many wonderful things. They are a marvelous way to bring lifelong learners together around educational content. The ability of MOOCs to reinforce learning through simulations and formative assessment is improving rapidly.
Today’s MOOCs, however, have not succeeded in the goal of providing quality learning at scale. MOOCs have done very little so far to bring down the costs of postsecondary credentialing. There are some interesting experiments with low-cost online degrees from highly regarded institutions, such as the $22,000 iMBA from the University of Illinois and Georgia Tech's $10,000 online master of science in cybersecurity program. These programs, however, do not seem to be driving the overall cost of education downward.
But we are early in the open online learning game.
The online courses that we have today that can scale at low marginal costs are in their infancy. The goal of personalization at scale has not yet been reached.
We should think of today’s MOOCs as opportunities for educational experimentation. To try new things out to reach the goal of delivering a high-quality education at lower costs.
The global demand for postsecondary education will follow a similar trajectory to the worldwide demand for automobiles. Our current system of small-scale education and fossil fuel-based cars will not be sustainable.
Today’s open online courses may be as ungainly as the EV1. But imagine what might happen if we resist the temptation to crush them.

Read more by​

Joshua Kim