Stony Brook Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlephiLLy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Stony Brook lately who have interviewed in 2007? They didn't say how long it takes for a decision, but i have heard it can take a while.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed last week and received an acceptance yesterday. However, I think this is abnormally quick.

The Stony Brook adcom appears to meet every three weeks, barring a major holiday like winter break. You can cross-check MDApps against the acceptances thread here; they met 1/25ish and then this week. Acceptances appear to arrive on a Thursday or Friday, while the waitlists are sent out on the same day (so the acceptances arrive a day later). Therefore, since they met this week, the next meeting should be the last week of February.

So you can guess: either you were reviewed on that meeting, or not. I interviewed the second week of January and was not reviewed this week or the week of 1/25 (confirmed by calls to the office). If they plan to get back to me in six weeks, I should be reviewed in the last week of February. When you get reviewed can depend on 1) if your interviewers are present at the closest meeting and 2) if they make a decision on you at that meeting (CanalofSchlemm shared that it can sometimes take multiple times). There appears to be no correlation with how soon you are reviewed and acceptance vs. waitlist.

So if you hear back in 1.5 weeks, it really just means that you were very lucky.

Hope this helps as you wait for a decision. For me, it means that I don't need to stress about DSL deliveries for another two weeks, which is nice. That's why I tried to figure it out.

thanks... you have quite the detailed knowledge of their admissions behavior :)
on a side note, was anyone interviewed by a student? i liked that interview, but i was wondering if if carries as much weight as that with the physician.