• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

littlephiLLy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
NY
Status (Visible)
Has anyone heard from Stony Brook lately who have interviewed in 2007? They didn't say how long it takes for a decision, but i have heard it can take a while.

Doc Martins

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Nueva York
Status (Visible)
I interviewed last week and received an acceptance yesterday. However, I think this is abnormally quick.

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
The Stony Brook adcom appears to meet every three weeks, barring a major holiday like winter break. You can cross-check MDApps against the acceptances thread here; they met 1/25ish and then this week. Acceptances appear to arrive on a Thursday or Friday, while the waitlists are sent out on the same day (so the acceptances arrive a day later). Therefore, since they met this week, the next meeting should be the last week of February.

So you can guess: either you were reviewed on that meeting, or not. I interviewed the second week of January and was not reviewed this week or the week of 1/25 (confirmed by calls to the office). If they plan to get back to me in six weeks, I should be reviewed in the last week of February. When you get reviewed can depend on 1) if your interviewers are present at the closest meeting and 2) if they make a decision on you at that meeting (CanalofSchlemm shared that it can sometimes take multiple times). There appears to be no correlation with how soon you are reviewed and acceptance vs. waitlist.

So if you hear back in 1.5 weeks, it really just means that you were very lucky.

Hope this helps as you wait for a decision. For me, it means that I don't need to stress about DSL deliveries for another two weeks, which is nice. That's why I tried to figure it out.

littlephiLLy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
NY
Status (Visible)
thanks... you have quite the detailed knowledge of their admissions behavior :)
on a side note, was anyone interviewed by a student? i liked that interview, but i was wondering if if carries as much weight as that with the physician.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.