Stony Brook Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other folks thinking of coming to Stony Brook in the Fall?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted at Stony Brook and other SUNY schools. Any advice for choosing among the NY state schools. The match lists look pretty comparable. I'm from Long Island, and that plus the much smaller class size makes Stony Brook more appealing. Any thoughts?

Drdrums said:
I have been accepted at Stony Brook and other SUNY schools. Any advice for choosing among the NY state schools. The match lists look pretty comparable. I'm from Long Island, and that plus the much smaller class size makes Stony Brook more appealing. Any thoughts?
I'm on the Stony Brook waitlist and really want to go, so hopefully you'll drop your acceptance there ;)
Anyway, to give you a more serious answer, I personally think Stony Brook is the best SUNY. It gives you a lot of really great exposure, especially in more competitive fields like surgery that SUNYs were traditionally weak in. The smaller class size also makes clinical rotations easier to schedule & gies you more personal attention. Last year I think ~10 out of their 100 students matched in surgery, which demonstrates a clear upward trend in that competitive field.
If you're from Long Island and love it there, I think your decision should be made. If, on the other hand, you want to go a little further from home for med school, then maybe Stony isn't right for you.
I know a lot about Stony Brook because I work for one of its teaching hospitals. I'm sure the other SUNYs are good too, but I am partial to Stony and I like what I see from it every day. Good luck in your decision, I hope I soon also have the option to choose Stony :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm an undergrad at stony brook and volunteer in the university hospital. it will be among the schools i apply to, but i'd rather get off the island and study in a new place. i have heard on many occaisons that it is the best SUNY med schools.

i've heard downstate is the best