Stony Brook Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm pretty sure I'm going to Stony Brook next year.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Strongly thinking I'm going to be there next year. Wazzuuup.

Just got a phone call from them, and if i end up wtih $$ there/it ends up being cheaper than other things, i could definitely see it happening

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks pretty likely that I'll be at Stony next year too.

Where is everyone from?
I'm from LI myself, Suffolk County, about 40 minutes from Stony Brook (but I will be living near school NOT at home!).

I am from LI as well, Suffolk also- more like 20 min from stony, in Bay Shore. But i also will be living near stony brook if i go there. Luckily i already have a car.

another LI'er here...I'm from Nassau, almost an hour from Stony. Right now I'm car-less and living in Queens, so I will need to buy a (very cheap) car :(

...or maybe a cardboard box on wheels

I just got the express mail yesterday on my way to Downstate interview.
First acceptance and definitely leaning towards it!
I'm from Staten Island (the other island).
Maybe i'll see you guys next fall...:D

got a phone call from Dr. Cinotti last night. I got accepted. I'm soo excited!!!:D

Does anyone know if Stony is going to have a second look in the spring?

Does anyone know if Stony is going to have a second look in the spring?

I think they do, but not totally positive...

Anyone thinking about the MD/MPH program?

Hey there guys,

Congrats on making it into Stony; feel free to shoot if you guys have any questions about classes/policies/housing etc.

Stony has a second look yeah.

I'd highly suggest doing it to make sure you want to come here...

Hey there guys,

Congrats on making it into Stony; feel free to shoot if you guys have any questions about classes/policies/housing etc.

keepitcomin27: i know this is a vague question but what makes Stony diff from other schools besides the crazy architecture?
Just wondering if there was anything that was really unique about stony.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd first say the really supportive environment of the student body and staff, but i'm pretty sure you've heard that multiple times elsewhere as well. but it is fantastic nevertheless.

I'd probably go with the early patient contact and clinical skills resources. From the very first semester you're already paired up with a preceptor (unfortunately you're assigned one instead of you selecting) and you apply the skills you learn in your clinical course. Typically we'll learn about a new part of the history or physical exam and the very same week we'll go to our clinical sites and apply that knowledge with patients. Every other month or so you will have clinical simulation sessions with standardized patients (actors) so that you can gauge your progress. So despite what you hear about MS1s being at the bottom of the totem pole, you do get to play doctor quite early compared with other schools. The clinical course and preceptorships continue through your 1st 2 years, so you'll get lots of hands on experience before jumping into your clinical years. Of course if you want extra practice, you can always schedule practice sessions at the clinical skills center.

Also stony is really trying to diversify the ways in which you can fill your time outside of class. whether you want to take a world health class, shadow surgeries, teach local schoolkids about proper nutrition, help run a student clinic (the logistics is in the works right now) you can do it and more importantly, you'll have time to do it.

Other than that, I'd say that Stony is a nice balance; it's quiet enough here for you to get your studying and work done, but you are just an hour away from nyc, so it's not like you're really out in the boonies. and we know how to party.

as you can probably tell i dont mind answering questions so if u got more, lemme kno. we're having finals this week so things might go dark for a bit however.

keepitcomin27: i know this is a vague question but what makes Stony diff from other schools besides the crazy architecture?
Just wondering if there was anything that was really unique about stony.

Aside from the things that he's mentioned, it's obviously cheaper and it's pretty easy to pass classes here. We're not entirely pass fail, we have an honors, but it's still relatively easy to have something that resembles a life while you take classes.

First semester, you have really only 2 classes to worry/study. Second semester is block schedule, so you only take 1 class at a time. Depending on what kind of student you are, you might prefer this to say taking 5-6 classes at once.

Our class is pretty nice, with the exception of a couple wackjobs and people who still think they're in high school, but you're bound to find that in any class in any med school. However, the class above us is gunner city, so it's luck of the draw what kind of people you end up with.

We have a noteservice system where people put up old exams and transcripts to lectures, which is pretty nice. And we are instituting a video recording system for lectures as well. However, the administration here really wants people to go to class, so they think up annoying little ways to make us come (ie "clickers" - basically remote controls where you type in answers to questions during class, thus you have to be there if you want those points...).

The buildings are nothing to write home about. Compared to some med schools in the US this place is space age. Compared to some other med schools (sigh Houston), this place is still Stone Age. However, they are building what looks like a nice surgical center - not that it means anything to med students. Also we have a decent clinical skills simulator center - but it's the same anywhere you go - paid actors + very expensive dummies in ER simulators.

The strength of this place are its instructors and administration. They actually care. Alot. So much that sometimes its scary.

Oh, and I'm just going to throw this out there now, you guys will hear it a million times, but some of you nutballs will still insist on studying every iota of material they throw at you:

CORE, SIDELIGHTS, OLD EXAMS.

as you can probably tell i dont mind answering questions so if u got more, lemme kno. we're having finals this week so things might go dark for a bit however.

good luck on finals!

Where do most students live? How expensive is rent? How do you find roommates?

thanks for the info!
i like how keepitcomin27 gave me tour-guide like info and eternalrage gave me an inside look. haha. :D
Both were helpful. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions soon, so I'll thank you guys again in advance.

good luck on finals!

Where do most students live? How expensive is rent? How do you find roommates?

Most students live off campus. It's hard to get on campus housing, you'd have to apply for it now to get it, which would look like it would suck for all the people who get accepted during the spring.

Except that school dorms are overpriced, they're ridiculously tiny, and filled with smelly FOBs who don't speak English. You're better off living in a cardboard box with a hobo who doesn't take his pants off to take a dump. Also there's been a string of muggings and robberies this year, the security on this campus is a joke.

If you come here, get a car, come to 2nd look or get in touch with other accepted people (they'll put your name on the class email list for housing before school starts so you can contact people), and find a place to live. Port Jeff is where most people are, some live closer to the Stony Brook campus. The off campus housing website for Stony has alot of postings, you can check there (don't know they link, should be in the packet they send you).

Again, I must stress to you all, come to 2nd look at make sure you want to come here. The last thing you want to do is be taking your midterms and exams and start regretting choices you made the night before and then get no work done and come onto SDN to respond to newbies to make sure they want to come here.

thanks, eternalrage.

That's the info I was looking for, i'm going to hold out and wait for an off-campus apartment.

Here's the website for Off Campus Housing listings:
http://och.vpsa.sunysb.edu/

You can meet people before the start of class through several venues:
1.) 2nd Look
2.) Facebook group for class of 2012 (if there isn't one, one of you should make it)
3.) SDN
4.) Your class's housing email list

We've had a few horror stories from our classmates who waited too long to find housing and made hasty commitments to contracts - some even without looking at the house beforehand.

Try to get it done ahead of time, you'll thank yourself later. Also, you don't necessarily have to room with first years, it's often the case that the year ahead of you rearranges housing so there might be openings in our class - you just have to get acquainted with some 2nd or 3rd yrs at 2nd look.

I used the OCH website at first, visiting listings on there, but I also had made friends with 3rd years thru my gf, and now I live with one of them and his grad school buddies. I happen to like this setup, since I'm pretty sure rooming with gunner first years would have just stressed me out.

Also it's nice to have a 3rd yr roomate because they give you books, advice on how to study for each class (which is uber important since knowing WHAT to study is the key to doing well here), and even equipment for ICM or anatomy.

Thanks, eternalrage.

Any idea when the second look is?

i think the second look was either at the end of march or beginning of april, and the pre-orientation was mid-june...help me out eternalrage

to chip in on the housing, everything eternal rage said about housing is true...stick to off campus housing. Port Jeff/Stony Brook are good options, with Coram and Setauket being other popular places as well. Some students pool their money to go buy a place out here as an investment; its up to you.

I made a facebook group. Join if you're likely to be at Stony Brook next year!

I walked through the admissions office yesterday to talk to financial aid and saw some DHL packages being set on the counter... looks like some good news went out!

Yeah i know some people got acceptances yesterday, where are they at? bumping this thread so they see it.

Oh also, did anyone else get nominated for the Turner fellowship? Just trying to figure out how many nominations they give/what chances are. If i actually get that, i would definitely withdraw all of my other acceptances so far. The only schools i would consider at that point would be cornell and mt sinai.

stony brook was my first interview, my first acceptance, and still at the top of my list... i figured i would add to this thread and keep up the excitement. :D

stony brook was my first interview, my first acceptance, and still at the top of my list... i figured i would add to this thread and keep up the excitement. :D

Yay for keeping the thread alive. :clap:
where are the others?

Yeah i know some people got acceptances yesterday, where are they at? bumping this thread so they see it.

Oh also, did anyone else get nominated for the Turner fellowship? Just trying to figure out how many nominations they give/what chances are. If i actually get that, i would definitely withdraw all of my other acceptances so far. The only schools i would consider at that point would be cornell and mt sinai.

i just found this section of sdn, i probably am going to be attending stony brook!

just wondering, how did you get nominated for the Turner fellowship? Did you apply for it or were you automatically notified.

And I know in the acceptance letter they said that they will mail us all the financial aid documents, has anyone recieved theirs yet?

i just found this section of sdn, i probably am going to be attending stony brook!

just wondering, how did you get nominated for the Turner fellowship? Did you apply for it or were you automatically notified.

And I know in the acceptance letter they said that they will mail us all the financial aid documents, has anyone recieved theirs yet?

I was notified by email that i had been nominated, and now i'm working on my essay for it. I haven't recieved financial aid documents yet, but i did recieve a packet on on-campus housing yesterday. I'd prefer to rent a place near there though, like a house with a bunch of students.

This morning I posted in other thread, but I'll comment here too...

I interviewed at SB in Mid Dec and was told this morning via email that I'm on the waitlist.

Can anyone who knows something of how SB works through its waitlist please share what you can. I'm getting mixed impressions.

Thanks!

This morning I posted in other thread, but I'll comment here too...

I interviewed at SB in Mid Dec and was told this morning via email that I'm on the waitlist.

Can anyone who knows something of how SB works through its waitlist please share what you can. I'm getting mixed impressions.

Thanks!

What kind of info are you looking for?

They don't have any movement until after May 15th. I was waitlisted last year in Jan. and was accepted off the list on May 16th. I sent an update letter in March or April letting them know I was still interested (I think they like that sort of thing). Don't quote me on this, but I think they've got pretty decent movement every year.

They don't have any movement until after May 15th. I was waitlisted last year in Jan. and was accepted off the list on May 16th. I sent an update letter in March or April letting them know I was still interested (I think they like that sort of thing). Don't quote me on this, but I think they've got pretty decent movement every year.

Thats the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you for the prompt reply.

BTW, did you ever find out what position you held on the waitlist?

That's not true, there is some movement before May 15th.

I interviewed on 10/13/06, was waitlisted 11/28/06, and accepted on 2/28/07.

And yes, we do have decent movement.

Just a heads up to everyone-- I got an email this morning from Stony Brook and their second look day is Friday April 11 from 10am-4pm. I hope to see some of you there!

Just a heads up to everyone-- I got an email this morning from Stony Brook and their second look day is Friday April 11 from 10am-4pm. I hope to see some of you there!

yea i got that email too.
who's going? I'll most likely be there. :thumbup:

I got the email too. I'll probably be there as well. I definitely want to get more of a feel of how the students like living on Long Island.

i will most likely be there. I'm totally out of vacation time at work, but i'm thinking i'll call in sick as long as i don't have to have any more surgeries and use up my sick time by then.

This thread definitely needs a bump so newer admitts can see it and join us. Is anyone on this thread a minority/thinking of going to the Stony Brook SNMA dinner in NYC march 1st?

Hi all,

From CA. I'm excited about the fall. Maybe i'll see you all during second look. Anyone else from CA?

hey so this thread is no fun. I need to know that my classmates next year are gonna be fun! let's actually get to know each other. Make a post and actually tell us about yourself!

Undergrad: Princeton
Interests in medicine: Cardiology, clinical research, pathology
Interests outside of medicine: Music (pretty much anything good, except country, just can't get into country even if the artist is talented), LGBT activism, archaeology and anthropology, working out/the gym, art, chillin at my ambulance corps, partying, my Wii, and jewelry.
Favorite books: Hitchiker's Guide, She's come undone, clockwork orange
Favorite movies: love and sex, the fracture, man on fire

anyone else?

Undergrad: CUNY Brooklyn College
Interests in medicine: General Surgery, Cardiology, Oncology, Translational research
Interests outside of medicine: Soccer (sports in general), chilling with friends and co-workers with occasional partying, Music (same as aaj117)
Favorite books: What is the What, From a hard life to a heart surgeon and anything by John Grisham.
Favorite movies: Great debaters, Coming to America, Oluwa lo ni ile
Favorite Show: The Wire

yo wats up everyone
this get to know everyone is a good idea, I'm virtually guaranteed attending stony this fall!
Undergrad: Stony Brook ==> I know the school/area/living in Long Island so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me
Interests in medicine: No idea, maybe EM
Interests outside of medicine: just chilling/doing nothing, music, friends, movies, sports (playing more than watching), etc.
Favorite books: Enders game, runaway jury
Favorite movies: uhh hard to decide
Favorite tv show: lost! and entourage

Anyways I'll be at the revisit day so hope to see everyone there

Not sure where I'll be next year...but it might be Stony Brook...

Undergrad: Emory University
Interests in medicine: Surgery, Ortho, Cardio
Interests outside of medicine: music, movies, sports...
Favorite books: The Namesake, Complications
Favorite movies: Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club
Favorite tv show: Greys Anatomy, Lost

I most likely will be at the revisit.:cool:

Undergrad: St. John's University
Interests in medicine: PM&R, pediatrics, ortho?
Interests outside of medicine: ice hockey, gymnastics, traveling, having fun
Favorite books: The Power of One, anything by James Patterson/Robin Cook
Favorite movies: I have a lot.
Favorite tv show: 24 and ER (the old ones)

i will definitely be attending Stony Brook next year...and looking forward to meeting you guys at second look day!

Not sure where I'm going but leaning towards Stony.

Undergrad: Tufts
Interests in medicine: Surgery
Interests outside of medicine: movies, outdoor stuff, sports
Favorite books: The Kite Runner, Calvin and hobbes
Favorite movies: a lot
Favorite tv show: How I met your mother, 30 rock, scrubs, entourage

Hey everyone! I'm pretty sure I'll be at Stony next year...

Undergrad: Colgate University
Interests in medicine: surgery, cardiology, heme/onc
Interests outside of medicine: hanging out, reading, TV, baseball, tennis, nutrition, craft beer
Favorite Books: I love Mary Higgins Clark, Robin Cook, and most thrillers/mysteries in general, Harry Potter, Gone with the Wind, Jane Eyre, Cold Lights Hard Steel etc etc...I read a lot!
Favorite TV shows: all the medical shows--Grey's Anatomy, House, and Scrubs, also Monk, Sex and the City

I can't wait to meet everybody at second look!

haha i'm glad this idea caught on, if no one answered i would have felt like some wierdo prying into other peoples lives and writing random things about msyelf for no reason...
just wondering again if there's anyone in here going to the SNMA reception for accepted students march 1st?