Stony Brook Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if Stony gave out any merit scholarships?

not that i know of, but I don't really know.

Members don't see this ad.

So i think im pretty set on Stony Brook. I was going to wait for waitlist decisions to make a choice, so I was trying not to commit too much, but I am 98% sure I will be at Stony next year. just a couple more months!

Ok so now im 100% sure im going to Stony! Now a question, I noticed medical Spanish on the stony brook website, is this a required course? I have never taken a day of spanish and really dislike languages. So if it is required what is it like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so now im 100% sure im going to Stony! Now a question, I noticed medical Spanish on the stony brook website, is this a required course? I have never taken a day of spanish and really dislike languages. So if it is required what is it like?
I don't think it's required.

From what little I know of medical school Spanish courses, they're usually not geared to get you into fluent conversational speech, just enough to help you with say a history or something. I'm not the best person to ask though.

I'll ask around about this though.

Hey everyone,
Just came to say goodbye to this thread, because I got off the waitlist today for my top choice school. Good luck everyone and i hope this opens up a spot for someone on here who's waitlisted and really wants it. And if anyone has any questions about long island or living in that area, just let me know. I grew up near there and worked in the area for years.

I don't think it's required.

From what little I know of medical school Spanish courses, they're usually not geared to get you into fluent conversational speech, just enough to help you with say a history or something. I'm not the best person to ask though.

I'll ask around about this though.

Thanks Eternalrage.

thanks to sdn....I am coming to stony brook (unless i get off the waitlist at ucla).

Can't wait to meet my cool classmates. Now the hunt to find housing...

by the way I am from cali..

thanks to sdn....I am coming to stony brook (unless i get off the waitlist at ucla).

I see you made the right decision. I saw your other thread. Hopefully everything works out for you!

I see you made the right decision. I saw your other thread. Hopefully everything works out for you!

thanks..i am glad i posted my concern and got great feedback.

Has anyone received financial aid info yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey!

i just found out today that i got into stony brook from the wait list. i can't wait to meet everyone!

Alright, current Stony Brooker here, I just finished Year 1 a few days ago (hell yeah!), and figured I'd chime in with my 2 cents. First off, congrats on getting into Stony Brook. I'm guessing most of you made it here for Pre-Orientation the other day to meet some of your classmates and current students, and get some info. Hope it went well.

Let me reassure you that you have made a very wise choice to come here. I am not sure what may or may not have been emphasized by those who advised you all on where to apply to medical school, but something that is not emphasized nearly enough in pre-medical discussions is COST. For you NYS residents, you will be saving a lot of money over 4 years, and even for the OOS students, I believe you'll get NYS residency status after your first year. Medical school was the first time I had to ever take out loans, and I definitely underestimated the impact of borrowing such a huge sum of money until I started here. I can't imagine what it'd be like to be borrowing $65-70K per year to attend some of the private schools! Back in the spring, I got a little notice in the mail telling me how much interest accumulated on the $40K I had taken out just 6 months ago and I nearly crapped a brick in my pants when I saw the number. I quickly wrote the check to pay it off... but obviously if I had borrowed a higher amount of $, that number would be much bigger. It will take many years to pay off medical school loans, and a difference of $50-100K in loans over a 4 year time grows into something MUCH bigger than that when you pay it off, once you include interest and stuff.

Simply put, a less expensive medical school education buys you the freedom to pursue the path you want to take. Some of you may be gung-ho about getting into certain specialties, but you may fall in love with a much lower-paying specialty once you hit years 3 and 4, and it's definitely a plus to not have such a huge chunk of money forcing you into a specialty you won't enjoy simply to pay off your debts.

That, and as you will discover once school starts in the fall, Stony Brook (students/faculty/etc.) is made up of good people by and large. The profs ask for our feedback constantly on everything. Suburban Long Island may be an adjustment for some, but always remember that change can definitely be a good thing. In the meantime, enjoy your summers while you can. I'll be stopping by every now and then if you have any questions for me or my classmates.

Later.

I don't trust anyone whos a fan of foundations.

I know that they usually put aside a $1000 or so for textbooks in our budget...but I definitely am not going to spend nearly as much. We got a list of textbooks at pre-orientation. Should I start looking for them online now or should I wait until the second-years are selling them? I heard that I should get Lipincott's biochem book instead of the textbook. Any advice about textbooks and how to save money on them?

I know that they usually put aside a $1000 or so for textbooks in our budget...but I definitely am not going to spend nearly as much. We got a list of textbooks at pre-orientation. Should I start looking for them online now or should I wait until the second-years are selling them? I heard that I should get Lipincott's biochem book instead of the textbook. Any advice about textbooks and how to save money on them?

Even if you got a list of recommended textbooks, etc., it's probably a good idea you wait until classes begin to see what method you want to use to help you learn best (textbook, textbook/review book combo, review book only, transcripts only, etc.). You wouldn't want to waste any money now on something you won't be using, and anything we could recommend about what books to use or not to use would be useless to you because everyone's study method is very individual, as you will find out.

But to answer your question, there will probably be lots of 2nd and 3rd years sending out emails to sell their old books once you 2012'ers get here.

Enjoy the free time while you have it. Worry about textbooks once you get here. Trust us.

Make friends with second and third years.

I only spent 20 bux the entire year on books. Borrowed the rest from friends, which was a grand total of 3 books. Only used Core Concepts for Anatomy, and Abbas/Robbins for Path. In retrospect, even that little textbook usage was a total waste of time.

Transcripts ftw.

Hey everyone,

I will be sharing a house with a bunch of first and second year med students. We still have two spots left open, so if anyone is still looking for a place to live, PM me!

hey guys, what would you suggest for living arrangements if I wont have a car for at least the first semester

I received the call today!!!! I will most likely be attending. :)

I am very clueless about Long Island, so if someone could PM me I'd love to AIM chat. I'm also going to join the Facebook group. This is so exciting!!!

hey guys, what would you suggest for living arrangements if I wont have a car for at least the first semester

if you dont have a car you can live on campus housing "Chapin" or very close by. you get by with a bike or so for a bit, until the north eastern winter storms come into play. Best bet-live on campus if you don't have a car. I know there is a deadline for that application.

I was wondering if anyone has the URL link to the medical requirements necessary to start school.

Also I am looking for a place to live and a roommate. If anyone has any openings please let me know. Also, is there a roommate search list? Thanks!!!

I was wondering if anyone has the URL link to the medical requirements necessary to start school.
Medical requirements? Are you talking about vaccinations and stuff? Or like required undergrad courses?

Also I am looking for a place to live and a roommate. If anyone has any openings please let me know. Also, is there a roommate search list? Thanks!!!
They should send you that with your acceptance package.

buddy up with someone with a car, live close so you can ride/walk, live in dorm - tho I think it's probably too late to secure a spot by now

but really get a car quick. suburbia can be very boring without a car.

we could always use more people from california (im from norcal myself). of course the nobrainer is ucla if u get in. But yea despite the fact that stony is in suburbia at its worst, ive found it to be a suprisingly good fit. my class is really chill and cooperative, and im sure your class will be as well. there isnt much of a cutthroat feel here, and the staff, classmates, and 2nd years (yours truly) will be doing a lot for u to make sure ur adjustment is a smooth and successful one.

im still pulling for you to get into la tho, stay in california if you can...if not, come to stony =)

Make friends with second and third years.

I only spent 20 bux the entire year on books. Borrowed the rest from friends, which was a grand total of 3 books. Only used Core Concepts for Anatomy, and Abbas/Robbins for Path. In retrospect, even that little textbook usage was a total waste of time.

Transcripts ftw.

before i say anything about books...try to get things from you big sib or from 2nd/3rd/4th years before hitting up the bookstore...it will be a much better deal. here we go...

core concepts and clinical sidelights...and a netters atlas...are what u need for anatomy. that being said, u could still pass the class with just a netters and studying from old exams, but the trio will make u safe for sure. dont bother trying to read essentials of gross anatomy, it will just make your head explode.

u dont need any textbooks for biochem, in fact i dont even remember there even being an assigned book. transcripts are fine...go thru the powerpoints at the same time if u want to solidify things, and lipincott is a good review book for practice problems and further clarification.

dont buy anything for neuro...transcripts/powerpoints/the prof's reviews are all you'll need.

buy costanzo's book for physio; you could technically get away with the professor's primers, but its nice to have that good base first so the primers and any extra reading he hands out will go much faster and you'll have a better grasp of it anyway.

path could be done all from transcripts and powerpoints. u could buy the abbas/basic immuno for reference but i read chapter 1 and that was about it. robbins' pathology book is a good reference (they assign reading from that book) and you'll need it for 2nd year for sure, so u might as well get it for path. again, u can still honor the class from transcripts, powerpoints, and the primers/handouts they give you.

BUY NOTHING FOR FOUNDATIONS. OUR FOUNDATIONS TA'S WILL MAKE REVIEW SHEETS OF ALL YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW FOR THAT CLASS. of course if this makes you feel really uncomfortable, u can buy the baby bate's guide to the physical exam...it can come in handy for when u do ur clinical sessions.

one thing to note...if u do buy all the books they tell u to buy, u actually have to actively retain the material; its one thing to have the book and read the stuff once, but since stony loves cumulative exams, it wont work too well. Constantly be reviewing stuff. this sounds like common sense but trust me, once the reading piles up, you'll be tempted after reading things once to not read them again. but again, if ur gonna buy all that stuff anyway, do it the right way.

i didnt buy much, so i tried to make it easier on myself and saw how much i could get away with before reading anything and I also championed transcripts. 2nd semester i basically stopped going to class as well. i am also probably an even worse slacker than eternalrage, but we'd both agree that we came out more than ok this year (sorry to give you such a cynical take on things). the point im longwindedly trying to make is: for each class, its basically knowing what you need to know for the exams. dont waste all your time reading every single thing they hand out, going to every lecture, or doing a million practice problems...save yourself some grief by prioritizing. though i was a major slacker by med school standards, i still worked a helluva lot harder than i did in undergrad, and its not like i went to a party school in undergrad either. you will have to work hard in med school, so despite what eternalrage and i have said, this will be no cakewalk. but u shouldnt go out of your way to make it harder on yourself than it already will be.

IF you buy the books i mentioned, do old exams, actually read the assigned reading, and review/retain it (read the material multiple times), you will honor all of your classes, guaranteed (notice i didnt mention anything about going to lectures..except for mandatory ones). i will probably come find you so you can help me study for my boards.

Hah yeah we're slackers. But not because we never went to class, or didn't read any of the books, or because we only relied on old transcripts and old exams to study. That's just common sense smart studying. We're slackers cuz he plays alot of bball and stays up till 5 am watching tv and I spend most of my nights on the mat grappling and playing computer games.

I was talking to another one of our classmates today, and he was feeling guilty about not going to class all year and just memorizing off transcripts then playing bball and Xbox all the time while other people were hanging on every word lecturers spoke and camping out in the library for like 16 hrs a day. I had to talk him out of that nonsense. Believe it or not you do not have to be a soulless toolbag with a deep ass groove molded into the library chairs to do reasonably well, least not at Stony.

Some of it does depend on what your goals are, like if you want to be 100% sure you honor all your classes. Even then you don't have to go over half the material they throw at you, and you certainly don't need to attend every lecture.

Hah yeah we're slackers. But not because we never went to class, or didn't read any of the books, or because we only relied on old transcripts and old exams to study. That's just common sense smart studying. We're slackers cuz he plays alot of bball and stays up till 5 am watching tv and I spend most of my nights on the mat grappling and playing computer games.

I was talking to another one of our classmates today, and he was feeling guilty about not going to class all year and just memorizing off transcripts then playing bball and Xbox all the time while other people were hanging on every word lecturers spoke and camping out in the library for like 16 hrs a day. I had to talk him out of that nonsense. Believe it or not you do not have to be a soulless toolbag with a deep ass groove molded into the library chairs to do reasonably well, least not at Stony.

Some of it does depend on what your goals are, like if you want to be 100% sure you honor all your classes. Even then you don't have to go over half the material they throw at you, and you certainly don't need to attend every lecture.

yes yes yes i think i will love things at SB

hey!
can someone tell me anything about the stony brook gym? someone had mentioned something about extended hours for med students.... any info?

thanks in advance! :oops:

hey!
can someone tell me anything about the stony brook gym? someone had mentioned something about extended hours for med students.... any info?

Get a membership a local gym instead. Usually some good deals around back-to-school time. You'll get some good info about local gyms in your First Year Survival Guide when you come here.

hey!

Some people got some kinda deal goin with World Gym but I've heard alot of complaints since then about it.

Theres a huge LA fitness being built on 347, about maybe 5-10 min away from the med campus. That might be nice.

Other than that the Stony Brook gyms include the Wellness Center thing in the SAC, which is often packed and is not big at all. THere's the main undergrad gym, which is really old.

So yeah get a membership someplace else

I do not have a car, and I know that Stony Brook gives an auto loan. Does anyone know how the process works? Is it a seperate loan from the stafford loan? Do you buy the car and it gets refunded? etc... thanks.

I do not have a car, and I know that Stony Brook gives an auto loan. Does anyone know how the process works? Is it a seperate loan from the stafford loan? Do you buy the car and it gets refunded? etc... thanks.

No idea.

Contacting the Student Affairs Office:

By mail:
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
Office of Student Affairs
Health Sciences Center
Level 4, Room 147
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8436

By phone: 631-444-2341

By e-mail:
Mary Jean Allen: [email protected]
Diane Piscitelli: [email protected]
Angie Benavides: [email protected]
Burke Kincaid (Registrar): [email protected]

Yo. I'm Daniel, a current 4th year. Congrats to all that are about to start.

First, the car purchase thing gives you a one-time allowance for $8500 to purchase a car; you may have to give supporting documents to show you aren't putting the money towards a trip to some remote island. You *WILL* need a car, since it'll take a vehicle to do ICM or whatever.

Second, as for gyms, I currently go to Fitness Plus in Port Jefferson - like $500 per year. Nice gym, good space. There's another one on Rte 25 that is like $10/month, but I haven't been there and it might be a smidge grimey, but I'm gonna join it anyway once the Fitness Plus membership runs out. The "school gym" is across campus in the SAC, and was ALWAYS crowded when I used to try to go as a first year.

Third, any lurkers looking for housing still should hit me off - I just moved out of a place that has 3 residents in it (all guys) and are looking for my replacement.

Again, congrats to all, and good luck.

dc

1) DC, what's up my man, congrats on the CS pass and hope things are well.

2) the car loan is a private (read: higher interest that is unsubsidized) loan you take in addition to your normal loans. You have to buy the car first, get a receipt, then apply for the loan with a sheet in the FA office. The process is the same for the computer loan that can also be taken X 1. As most Long Islanders will tell you, a car is all but essential, and even more so for Medical School. As Dan said, if your ICM site is not at SBUH, you will have to beg, borrow and steal your way into someone else's car, which from experience as a driver becomes very annoying when you get out early and have to wait for someone.

If you're not going to have a car, I'd strongly suggest living on campus for the first year, b/c your options otherwise would involve at least a 20 minute walk from the closest possible off-campus housing.

3) Welcome to the Family.

jC

Nice to see you back 'round these parts, J.

'member when you and I were crawling thru these forums looking for advice? Man - how time flies!!!!

dc

haha yep, all nervous about starting, trying to figure out how to make it through...I think we did ok no?

Okay? We did great! And we're still, IMHO, reasonable human beings. YOU might change, going into EM and all....(jk).

For the 2012'ers - when do you guys start?

dc

it was STRONGLY recommended we get clickers before orientation, is it necessary from past years?

wait, what are clickers and where would you (or i) get one? i must have totally missed that as something we need to get early on...any other things you recommend getting asap? thanks!

wait, what are clickers and where would you (or i) get one? i must have totally missed that as something we need to get early on...any other things you recommend getting asap? thanks!

You will need clickers to answer the MC quiz questions at the end of each biochem lecture; if i remember correctly u go up to the 4th floor and speak with bonnie or someone in the back near mary jean's office and just tell em u want to pick up ur clicker. they should have them all up there. make sure u document any problems with ur clicker before u sign off for it, mine had the back casing missing.

Also if u havent done it already, go ahead and pay for ur parking permit at the hsc lot. in addition to the hsc, ull be able to park in the covered lot on the undergrad side as well (comes in handy when u gotta go there and pick up checks and do admin stuff.

hold off on buying scrubs and dissecting kits; scrubs should go on sale for cheap from the surgery club either at the end of ur orientation week or def by the time dissection starts. once u find out who ur big sib is, see if u can get a hold of their old one. dissection groups are either assigned or picked by urselves, so if u find ppl ud like to work with during the course of next week, let the anatomy scheduling ppl kno.

for orientation week, itll be nice to have something to do on ur laptop during the day sessions...a lotta the admin stuff could be shortened quite a bit and as such there will be quite a few times when u will get bored. If u are already certified in AHA Healthcare Provider CPR, make sure u bring ur card so u can get out of the CPR day. Also, go out to all the social events, theyre a great way to get to know your real class and enjoy yourselves before med school starts.

Dont Read Ega

If I See Another One Of U Walking Around The Library With Ega Im Going To Ram It Up Your Poopshoot.

damn anti caps function

**** vbulletin

If I See Another One Of U Walking Around The Library With Ega Im Going To Ram It Up Your Poopshoot.

Not only do I agree with e'rage, but it might be worth spending some time in the library to see the ramming.

There is not, in the history of Dr. Stern, a question tested that does not come from Core or Clinical Sidelights. Do the old tests.

It's this simple: Core + CS + lab time = Honors

dc

Last edited:
I have attended only like 1.5 hrs of lecture so far second yr.

Stony Brook is AWESOME.