Stony Brook Med vs. Penn State Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slumberseeker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating between the 2 schools above. Right now I'm interested in anesthesiology and maybe OB/GYN, although both aren't definite, want to keep my options open. Also I would prefer a more diverse class.

Stony Brook

Pros:
-Went to undergrad there so I know the area and mentors there
-Match list shows that students match well in the NY area
-close to family/SO (1.5 hours driving), which provides a lot of support
-electives at Winthrop

Cons:
-went there for undergrad, can have a depressing vibe since many people commute and there isn't that much to do in Long Island
-Mandatory attendance/quizzes for biochem in the beginning
-anatomy taught in a single block
-have to find independent living situation on LI (can be expensive)
-H/P/F

Penn State

Pros:
-I like the integrated systems curriculum.
-quiet area so good for studying, but 20 mins from Harrisburg so I'm not too isolated.
-On campus housing (short walk to the school/hospital, convenient)
-P/F

Cons:
-Bit further from family (3 hours driving)
-patient-nav which can take away from studying (as per med students on second look day)
-harder to match into NY residencies although not impossible

For both cost is similar (maybe a 5k total cost difference/year) since rent in Hershey is cheaper compared to Stony Brook. Also both schools are strong in research, which is something I'm interested in.

The one thing that keeps pulling me to Stony Brook is the fact that I thought it was impossible to get into and it feels wrong to turn it down (which is a bit silly), although there are things I definitely don't like . Stony Brook feels like a safety blanket while Penn State is new and exciting.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm debating between the 2 schools above. Right now I'm interested in anesthesiology and maybe OB/GYN, although both aren't definite, want to keep my options open. Also I would prefer a more diverse class.

Stony Brook

Pros:
-Went to undergrad there so I know the area and mentors there
-Match list shows that students match well in the NY area
-close to family/SO (1.5 hours driving), which provides a lot of support
-electives at Winthrop

Cons:
-went there for undergrad, can have a depressing vibe since many people commute and there isn't that much to do in Long Island
-Mandatory attendance/quizzes for biochem in the beginning
-anatomy taught in a single block
-have to find independent living situation on LI (can be expensive)
-H/P/F

Penn State

Pros:
-I like the integrated systems curriculum.
-quiet area so good for studying, but 20 mins from Harrisburg so I'm not too isolated.
-On campus housing (short walk to the school/hospital, convenient)
-P/F

Cons:
-Bit further from family (3 hours driving)
-patient-nav which can take away from studying (as per med students on second look day)
-harder to match into NY residencies although not impossible

For both cost is similar (maybe a 5k total cost difference/year) since rent in Hershey is cheaper compared to Stony Brook. Also both schools are strong in research, which is something I'm interested in.

The one thing that keeps pulling me to Stony Brook is the fact that I thought it was impossible to get into and it feels wrong to turn it down (which is a bit silly), although there are things I definitely don't like . Stony Brook feels like a safety blanket while Penn State is new and exciting.

I am actually in a very similar predicament, even though I am on the waitlist for Stony. I have similar reservations and concerns, so would be interested to see what others say. Not too familiar with LI, but it is really that boring?

Also, just wanted to note this for Stony Brook for further consideration: "The official transcript reports one of three grades for each completed course: Honors, Pass or Fail. Almost all courses, however, use five grades -- Honors, High Pass, Pass, Low Pass and Fail -- which are recorded internally and may be indicated in the Medical Student Performance Evaluation, the letter from the Dean sent to residencies to which senior students apply." via Grading and Honors | Stony Brook University School of Medicine

You would definitely need a car for sure to get around in Long Island.

And that's interesting, didn't know that about the grading system.

As a long Island native I just feel the need to make a correction by saying LI itself mostly isn't at all boring, it's Stony Brook's location way out east in Port Jeff that is a bit on the "boring" side. If you like suburbs though you won't really find it all that boring.