Stony Brook (OOS) vs. Pitt (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparkledoc44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in state for Pitt and OOS for Stony so both schools end up being about 240k total since Stony I can get in state tuition after 1 yr...I know that SBUSDM is really good at placing students into their top residency choice however I don't know if I will be happy living in a suburban/rural area in a smaller class size (but it's closer to NYC, where most of my friends are). But, on the other hand Pitt is farther west of PA and also not in an amazing location (not a fan of the city of pittsburgh) but their class size is larger which I like better. Not sure if Pitt is competitive for specialities? I know that Pitt is P/F and stony will be A/B/C/F (they used to be p/f?) I think both programs are really good, it's just im more so worried about the location and class size I think at this point. Can someone at either school give their experiences on the community aspect of each program? Does Pitt have new technologies/do they keep up with that?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't give you input on anything that you asked, but just to let you know that Stony ends up being $305k after interest is calculated, not including the tuition hikes if you are able to get in-state tuition after a year ($403k if you don't). Pitt ends up being $295k after interest is calculated again not including tuition hikes.
Really a negligible difference, but the costs listed on dental school websites do not include interest which adds up quite a bit

Pitt is ABCD unless they changed it for C/O 2022. Stony will have the better location for sure, but you can't beat the resources available at Pitt if you wanna specialize. Pitt students are pretty competitive. The technology is pretty manageable. Not super high tech like some expensive schools, but who cares cause you graduate in 4 years.

Stony brook is a phenom at specializing. 5/5 into ortho this year and most likely 5/5 omfs as well. Out of 44 kids usually 20 are specializing. Also I’m from stony brook so I rep it real hard.

Also no way pitt is p/f.