Stony Brook University 2013 Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member3491

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just went on an interview this past weekend..so wanted to know whose been accepted and what your stats are. Also for those of you who were accepted how long did it take for them to contact you after the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Just went on an interview this past weekend..so wanted to know whose been accepted and what your stats are. Also for those of you who were accepted how long did it take for them to contact you after the interview?

I interviewed on 3/12 and was accepted via phone call on 3/19. My stats are:

-Undergrad GPA: 3.0 (BA degree awarded in 2006)
-Pre-requisite GPA: about 3.9
-Approximately 250ish observation/volunteer hours in multiple settings (hand, pediatrics, nursing home, hospital)
-No GREs
-This is also my second time applying to SBU. I was waitlisted last year as I still had 2 outstanding prereqs to complete (this was something I was told at the interview this year).

I interviewed on 3/12 and was accepted via phone call on 3/19. My stats are:

-Undergrad GPA: 3.0 (BA degree awarded in 2006)
-Pre-requisite GPA: about 3.9
-Approximately 250ish observation/volunteer hours in multiple settings (hand, pediatrics, nursing home, hospital)
-No GREs
-This is also my second time applying to SBU. I was waitlisted last year as I still had 2 outstanding prereqs to complete (this was something I was told at the interview this year).

Were they both important science pre-reqs? I'm taking A and P II right now

Members don't see this ad :)
@Gary - Yes, they were AP2 and Physics (I believe).

Don't freak out!! Their decision making process, I am convinced, is different for each individual candidate. I can tell you though that SBU's process, once interviews are complete, is to forward all application materials to the Dean of Admissions for SBU who then makes the final decision. It is not up to the OT department. They make their recommendations and then Dean Mendhelson's group makes the final call. Dr. Rodriguez told me that during the interview.

anyone else hear back from Stony Brook or decide that they will be attending??

Heard nothing yet :(

Talked to the Dean or assistant dean- not sure. She said it will be a few weeks for some apps bc they still haven't gone trough all of them. Now we just wait.

Just got the call from Dr. Rodriguez about 2 hours ago with an acceptance. So excited! Emotional time for me: wife and mom, career changer, 2nd year applicant (waitlisted last yr). Seems almost surreal. Looking forward to meeting other accepted students:thumbup::D.

Just got the call from Dr. Rodriguez about 2 hours ago with an acceptance. So excited! Emotional time for me: wife and mom, career changer, 2nd year applicant (waitlisted last yr). Seems almost surreal. Looking forward to meeting other accepted students:thumbup::D.

congrats to you too!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Nuvia and Dream! Are you guys going to attend? If so I'm looking forward to meeting you both!

And Nuvia, I am in the same boat as you! Wife and mom (to my amazing dog!! Lol) and a second year applicant AND a career change 7 years after my first go at college :). It's so exciting starting this new journey!

Congrats!! I'll probably see you there!

Congrats Nuvia and Dream! Are you guys going to attend? If so I'm looking forward to meeting you both!

And Nuvia, I am in the same boat as you! Wife and mom (to my amazing dog!! Lol) and a second year applicant AND a career change 7 years after my first go at college :). It's so exciting starting this new journey!

I'm attending unless I can't figure out my financial situation!

congratulation you all who accepted.

Unfortunately, I didn't hear anything yet....:confused:

Could you please share the questions that you were asked during the interview?

I want to prepare myself, just in case...

I wish I could see you in coming June!

I know when I interviewed we didn't all have the same people but from what I can remember I was asked: what's professionalism, how do you prioritize. I can't remember the other questions but I was surprised they didn't ask me why OT? What's makes you a better candidate... Good luck! Relax and be yourself is the best advice I can give you.

Differentiate Occupational Therapists from one other health profession that interested you in the past.... something like that was one of them.

Differentiate Occupational Therapists from one other health profession that interested you in the past.... something like that was one of them.

Oh yea I had that one too.

what day did you guys go for your interview/ hear from the admissions office about your acceptance?

I interviewed on 3/12 and found out 3/19

for those who received an acceptance call, have you received the official email they mentioned yet? wondering if I should call tmrw to make sure they have the correct email on file.

for those who received an acceptance call, have you received the official email they mentioned yet? wondering if I should call tmrw to make sure they have the correct email on file.

No email yet. Despite me checking every 10min! Lol. I'm hoping tomorrow considering we have to accept by Tuesday!

I know! I basically said yes on the phone but want to make sure its official. Also need to get my first aid/cpr certification asap..lol

It took me 3 days to get the email so you guys should be getting it today!

It took me 3 days to get the email so you guys should be getting it today!

That's good to hear! Especially because sometimes I reply the phone call and trying to convince myself I did get accepted but the email will make it official!

Hahaha I did the same thing. I wouldn't give my notice at work until I actually got the email!

Got the email!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Got the email earlier today. Just finished accepting it online while at work. Cannot wait. Looking forward to meeting you all in June.

Congrats to all accepted!

Would you guys mind posting your stats?