Stony brook vs Nassau?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReesesDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, am having a hard time deciding on these two programs..

Can anyone offer their two cents?

Thanks a ton!
RD

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Nassau already. I don't know anything about Stony brook but Nassau was pretty much awful. No formal lectures, grand rounds occasionally happens in a restaurant. The residents were super proud of their clinical and surgical experience despite the fact that clinic basically winds down at 3pm and their phaco numbers were quoted around 100-110. There is basically no attendings at clinic so you mostly learn from the senior residents. Granted it sounds like they are very strong in retina so there is some appeal there. The facility was a joke, the wet lab is basically a nasty room in the corner. There was no formal presentation for their interview day, the residents gave an impromptu powerpoint that was made 3-4 years ago. The program director asked multiple illegal interview questions during my interview. In my opinion, good place if you don't really want to work and don't want to be in an academic environment.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at Nassau already. I don't know anything about Stony brook but Nassau was pretty much awful. No formal lectures, grand rounds occasionally happens in a restaurant. The residents were super proud of their clinical and surgical experience despite the fact that clinic basically winds down at 3pm and their phaco numbers were quoted around 100-110. There is basically no attendings at clinic so you mostly learn from the senior residents. Granted it sounds like they are very strong in retina so there is some appeal there. The facility was a joke, the wet lab is basically a nasty room in the corner. There was no formal presentation for their interview day, the residents gave an impromptu powerpoint that was made 3-4 years ago. The program director asked multiple illegal interview questions during my interview. In my opinion, good place if you don't really want to work and don't want to be in an academic environment.

haha like what? Where else you're interviewing at? Everyone asks you that. You basically have to answer or else you look like you're hiding something. Pretty awkward

Members don't see this ad :)
haha like what? Where else you're interviewing at? Everyone asks you that. You basically have to answer or else you look like you're hiding something. Pretty awkward

what kind of "illegal" questions are you referring to, rocketbooster?

what kind of "illegal" questions are you referring to, rocketbooster?

They're not supposed to ask you where else you are interviewing. Or at least that's what my school told us.

They're not supposed to ask you where else you are interviewing. Or at least that's what my school told us.

yeah, true. but I was thinking that studentny could be referring to "illegal" questions like asking where you are going to rank them... or whether you are planning to have a baby during residency... etc... or not

I didn't think Nassau was horrible. Yes there are definitely some cons mentioned above. However residents were happy, they get plenty of autonomy and all of the faculty I met seemed very friendly. Quite frankly the idea of not having lectures sounds awesome to me... I don't find lecture helpful and usually end up sleeping/dozing through them. They didn't ask me any illegal or trick questions.

I've actually been comparing those two programs and I'm not sure which is a better fit for me either...

Nassau
-pros: medium sized program, front-loaded, plenty if autonomy, residents were happy, 4 9-day weeks of vacation, avg cataract # for ny program, close to the city

-neg: not academic, no funds for supplies/books, 9-wk lecture series in Maine you have to find your own housing for

Stony brook
-pros: lecture series well planned out, funding for books/supplies, residents were happy

-neg: very little autonomy, have to commute to VA which is a 40 min commute 6 mos out of the year, tiny program so frequently on call