Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe that once you get to the interview point, the odds of acceptance are roughly the same as IS (about 1:6 according to medschoolready) interviews. Of course, medschoolready's numbers are a bit off from what the dean tells you, but Dean Agnetti also included people accepted off the waitlist.

Actually, odds of acceptance are 1/2 post interview (this might count waitlists that get in though). This is according to the #'s US News has (yes, I paid, and in fact, I also bought that stupid book, so I have paid for these #'s twice. Yes I am a *****, thank you).

Probably 1 in 6 people end up ATTENDING, so don't get too paranoid.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, odds of acceptance are 1/2 post interview (this might count waitlists that get in though). This is according to the #'s US News has (yes, I paid, and in fact, I also bought that stupid book, so I have paid for these #'s twice. Yes I am a *****, thank you).

Probably 1 in 6 people end up ATTENDING, so don't get too paranoid.

As I posted earlier in this thread, SB accepted 350 of 550 or so interviews last year, including the waitlist acceptances, and that the class size would increase by 8 students this year. So while I bet 1 in 6 attend, like you said, the US News figure is probably more accurate, also like you said.

However, I brought up the 1:6 number because it was an OOSer asking, and I figured that while the number given by the dean sounds pretty good, it's probably slightly less for OOS. I have no idea if OOSers have equal post-interview consideration with in-staters, but the medschoolready numbers seem to suggest they might. My personal bet is that it's more difficult both to get an interview and to sell them that you really want to be there.

i called friday and noone picked up, haven't tried since.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess they likely meet next week....

So I guess they likely meet next week....

Ha, no proof of that yet. Monday was a holiday...so Thursday could be the new Wednesday. And every SDN member currently waiting could be straight accepted.

I'm going to go pretend I have more of a life. :D

These med school mind games may very well be the end of me :).

well, i interviewed only two weeks ago... i've got a bit more waiting ahead of me i suppose. :scared:

and ladies and gentlemen, I thought you'd like to know they met this week.

(unfortunately for me, that means I'll be on the waitlist; but some of you might be lucky enough to get the shiny DHL envelope tomorrow).

Good luck. :luck:

and ladies and gentlemen, I thought you'd like to know they met this week.

(unfortunately for me, that means I'll be on the waitlist; but some of you might be lucky enough to get the shiny DHL envelope tomorrow).

Good luck. :luck:

How do you know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because the waitlist email showed up today in my inbox.

Thanks for letting us know. When did you get the email, my inbox still has nothing, but rather then jump to a conclusion i think I may have still not been reviewed :(. I guess Ill wait till tomorrow....

Thanks for letting us know. When did you get the email, my inbox still has nothing, but rather then jump to a conclusion i think I may have still not been reviewed :(. I guess Ill wait till tomorrow....

Around 10:30 this morning. You should call -- save yourself a whole day of waiting for the mail. You don't have to ask for their decision, just if you were reviewed. They've always been nice enough to tell me.

Since I interviewed the second week of January, there's a very good chance you were reviewed this time around. :D

anyone else hear anything today? Or contacted the office maybe. Apparently I still havent been reviewed, and this was 6.5 weeks. More waiting i guess, somewhat distraught since it seems people do hear by the 6 week mark.

Hang tight...I have a friend who interviewed on November 30th and STILL has not heard.

I emailed the office today and received a very quick response. I quote:

"You were sent correspondence on February 20. You should be receiving it
shortly.

Good luck."

Sounds like bad news to me , especially if they email those who they want to interview. They never even emailed me to say if my application was complete (which they said they were going to do once they received everything). I'm guessing they reviewed some files earlier this week and made decisions so keep a look out in your mailbox the next few mail days if you haven't heard anything yet.

:thumbdown:

Hang tight...I have a friend who interviewed on November 30th and STILL has not heard.

That is crazy, feell sorry for your friend and hope i dont go through that long of a wait.

I beat your friend. I interviewed in early November, and STILL have not heard. Did they lose my file? or Am I going to be rejected but they have not told me? I don't know.....I called the office many times but was told to just wait (ugh almost 4 months!). I hope she/he feels better.....

do they send rejections (post-interview) with the same speed they ship out their acceptances?

no email for me. i interviewed recently but praying i was reviewed and accepted lol. one can hope...

I just got my wait list e-mail today and I interviewed 12/7 :( I'm hoping that a large number of students will withdraw from the wait list because they've already received acceptances somewhere. Then maybe those of us who really want to go to Stony Brook will be accepted. Or maybe I'm just telling myself this to keep from going nuts. Do they wait list everyone post interview who don't get accepted or do rejections get sent out?

Whats with most people hearing within 6 weeks, and some 3 months (or more)? Any guesses?

march 7th maybe... perhaps this clandestine committee will meet sooner?

march 7th maybe... perhaps this clandestine committee will meet sooner?

If they keep to their every two week schedule, next should be Wednesday, March 7th-ish (Wednesdays they send out WL, Thurs/Fri everyone receives the DHL acceptances).

Sometimes they have met on the third week, but it seems like that only happened because of winter break.

And yeah, I suspect they don't reject anyone post-interview unless you really manage to screw up the interview. I'm also going to be one of those lingering on the waitlist in the hope that the rest of the class was freakishly accepted to Harvard. :D

Hang in there guys.

It sucks that you have to wait so long for any word, but hopefully you will find that it's worth it. I'm a neighborly second year student at SB, and I love it here. FWIW, a *huge* part of our class came in off the waitlist - in fact, many of the student interviewers that you guys have had were members of the waitlist crew that made it in (I can think of 3 that immediately come to mind).

Again, keep your heads up, and here's to good luck for you all!!!!

dc

I'm signed up for the very last week of interviews. Anyone know how full their class is? I'd be bummed to interview for a waitlist....

I'm signed up for the very last week of interviews. Anyone know how full their class is? I'd be bummed to interview for a waitlist....

How were you invited for an interview? Did they email you or send a USPS letter like they did initially?

they sent it by email and told me to call in for scheduling.

Got accepted off the waitlist today.

Secondary submitted 8/18/06, invited 9/14/06, interviewed 10/13/06, waitlisted 11/28/06, got the acceptance 2/28/07.

Congrats eternalrage! I was waitlisted same day as you. How did you find out about the acceptance? Do you think you're attending? :)

came in DHL. I dunno if I will matriculate there yet. Still waiting.

Oh and I didn't write any LOIs or anything.

You anticipated my PM questions! Thanks for the info, good luck with your final decision.

Got accepted off the waitlist today.

Secondary submitted 8/18/06, invited 9/14/06, interviewed 10/13/06, waitlisted 11/28/06, got the acceptance 2/28/07.

Zoiks. This is new, unexpected, and somewhat cheering news, especially since they more or less outright told us we'd be stuck on the waitlist for months.

Thanks for sharing.

SB doesn't tell you your position on the waitlist, right?

DrCurious- you still waiting?:luck:

SB doesn't tell you your position on the waitlist, right?

DrCurious- you still waiting?:luck:

Yup, dunno whats taking them so long. I dont mind the wait as long as they accept me, otherwise all this wait was for nothing :(. I interviewed back in early Jan, so I find i odd, but other have been waiting longer.

BTW for those who have been waiting a while now, do you guys rememebr who you interviewed with? Maybe we all had the same person and they never show up to the meetings :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So the committee might meet this week?

does anyone know if the stony brook adcom met this week?

anyone get a response from them?

I have no idea if they met, but was wondering the exact same thing.

I have no idea if they met, but was wondering the exact same thing.

If they did, and you didn't get a waitlist email this morning, maybe you'd better watch your mailbox this afternoon and tomorrow. ;)

If they did, and you didn't get a waitlist email this morning, maybe you'd better watch your mailbox this afternoon and tomorrow. ;)

Well my mail goes home not to school, so Ill be waiting all day till someone gets home. Meanwhile I have an exam that will likely destroy me in about 30 min :)

does anyone know if the stony brook adcom met this week?

anyone get a response from them?

A friend of mine is an undergrad at stony brook...he said they meet every wednesday.

Hmm i didnt think they met every week, but every other. Plus I dont think they met last week, I may be wrong though. No one received any news last week on SDN or amongst people I know that were expecting.
I hope they meet this week instead ...... I just want that damn DHL guy to show up, he's gonna likely think Im crazy. Till then I remain in limbo, which is strikingly similar to purgatory...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Talk about a long wait at stony brook...

another friend of mine (i swear, its not me.. lol) interviewed in SEPTEMBER as an early decision applicant. Got deferred in october, got waitlisted at the END OF FEBRUARY. lol. That'd be hilarious if after all that he gets accepted.