Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paumera

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Does anyone have an opinion about Stony Brook Med?

Members don't see this ad.

It is my opinion that they should interview me. And they gotta get on that, because they have had my completed secondary since mid-august. Those bastards.

brown...do you have a particular interest in SB?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Long Island, thats about it. And I put some time in, to write what I think were some pretty good essays.

From what i can gather, Stony brook seems to have the best rep out of the suny's, I'm applying there and if I get in, theres a good chance I'd go. The main issue for me is if I think I'd enjoy living out there, I'm a non-trad, 29 and right now live in a cool apt in queens so it may be an adjustment to be all the way out there, especially since my friends/family r mostly in nyc. But I do think its a good school overall, espcially if u plan on applying to residencies in ny. By the way, paumera, I checked out your profile, and my kaplan instructor just completed a ms in nutirition at columbia, is name's Chris Xavier, nice guy. I also went to Hunter, graduated in 99 from the PT program. anyway, best of luck

hey VM26...you sound alot like me....non-trad, from queens..went to hunter...I am 35, live in astoria. i really liked stony brook. the students seem very pleasant and helpful, plus i would love to be out of the city for awhile - too many people! and i love the ocean... i got in last year, but because i had 5 back surgeries over the course of fall/summer semesters, i wasn't able to complete some courses, and the took back the offer and guaranteed an interview for this year...i had it last thursday and it went really well...hopefully, they will have me this year...it was a crazy interview with questions like "say pres. bush outlawed medicine...what would you do, and say he allowed only one school - in your name - how would you keep the students interested wanting to help people," etc.
chris xavier...sounds familiar...we have probably crossed paths. i like the program there, it's interesting.

its funny, I'm contemplating some knee surgery-osteotomies, i guess we're old;) , anyway thanks for the heads up on the interview, if I get one, maybe i'll email u for more info, if thats cool, best of luck

i was actually quite impressed by stony brook. i got a sense that the school wants you to succeed as a student and will do anything in its power to help your medical school experience as least stressful as possible. i was talking to one of the third-years there and she said that when she was a first-year, the students told the dean that having exams on mondays really destroyed their weekends, so the faculty decided to move the exams to fridays. it's certainly the best suny school imo.

Originally posted by vm26
From what i can gather, Stony brook seems to have the best rep out of the suny's, I'm applying there and if I get in, theres a good chance I'd go. The main issue for me is if I think I'd enjoy living out there, I'm a non-trad, 29 and right now live in a cool apt in queens so it may be an adjustment to be all the way out there, especially since my friends/family r mostly in nyc. But I do think its a good school overall, espcially if u plan on applying to residencies in ny. By the way, paumera, I checked out your profile, and my kaplan instructor just completed a ms in nutirition at columbia, is name's Chris Xavier, nice guy. I also went to Hunter, graduated in 99 from the PT program. anyway, best of luck

hey vm26,

I'm from LI (near Stony Brook) and its really not that far from NYC, especially Queens. All my relatives live in Queens or Manhattan and it only takes me 35 minutes to get to Flushing and 50 min to get into Manhattan via the 59th St. bridge, so you're not really far out there if you go to SB. Plus the school is excellent and there is a lot to do depending on your taste.

Anyway, just wanted to put my 2 cents in! Good luck.:)