Stonybrook(SUNY) or Hunter(CUNY) for post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gegogi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I've already have a BA of engineering, and I've worked for 2 years in IT company.

BUT!!! I want to change my major to dental surgery, so I am taking classes,BIO1&CHEM1, in BMCC(Borough of Manhattan Community College in CUNY).
It's too easy to study in there...I did not study so much, but I got a top score in there. So, I want to transfer to another university.

Could you recommend b/w Hunter college and Stonybrook??
I hear that Hunter college is quite good because there is a pre-health program and a linkage program(isn't it right that let students get chances to experience about clinical thing??)

And what about a cost of living?? im now in Manhattan. is it quite same though?

Members don't see this ad.

Im not sure about a linkage program.. especially with a dental school (perhaps with a medical school).. I did my postbac at City College. Although i was a "top student" in the classes i took, i do feel i was challenged enough to learn the materials necessary and the rigor of classes at CCNY hopefully this is evident to Admissions Committees through my 21 on the DAT..

Hunter college Pre-med office is now run by Lolita Wood-Hill, who defected from City College.. I can say, most experienced problems in here office unless you were chummy with her. So if you're at hunter, be prepared to kiss some fanny.. She also knows very little about dental school and refuses to write comitee letters for dental schools..

dont know much else about hunter.. or SB. I would suggest you taka look at City College and do some further research.. but start as soon as possible. many Dental schools will not be thrilled about courses taken at Community Colleges

When I was checking out post-bac programs (check out the post-baccalaureate forum on SDN) the only one that I remember with a DENTAL school linkage was Tufts -- and they're mad expensive and very competitive. Also, if you've already started taking some of the pre-reqs, I would recommend just taking classes at a cheap 4-year CUNY or SUNY and develop your own program. I know it sounds a little more intimidating that way, but I've really liked not being stuck into a time-line. Just make sure that wherever you go will write a committee letter for you -- that's important!

Oh, and FYI, dentistry isn't a "major"... it's professional track graduate school.

Mack