Stop Loss/Stop Movement for Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drevy143

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear from a reputable source in a command position that physicians should not be affected by the stop loss/stop movement;however, I cannot find any documentation to support this. We are suppose to ETS June 06, but there are rumors of a 1 year deployment starting in December. As we are planning on building a house, I want to make sure we know the rules. Anybody know where I could find specifics either way?

Members don't see this ad.

Drevy143 said:
I hear from a reputable source in a command position that physicians should not be affected by the stop loss/stop movement;however, I cannot find any documentation to support this. We are suppose to ETS June 06, but there are rumors of a 1 year deployment starting in December. As we are planning on building a house, I want to make sure we know the rules. Anybody know where I could find specifics either way?

Docs have not yet been tagged for stop loss. The operative word, however, is "YET." Like you, I am hoping to ETS in June 06, but I do wonder what the command is going to think when they see how many docs are splitting this coming june ('05). I won't be surprised if there is some kind of stop loss put into place by the end of this year (if not for all docs, then maybe just for "critical specialties" -- i.e., surgical). There are no "rules" or "specifics," and forget about finding anything anywhere in writing. Even if it's written, it can be changed based on "needs of the Army" (I'm assuming you're Army, if not, substitute Navy, AF, etc).

As for deployments, there's a lot of variables: your branch (army, navy, AF), where are you assigned, what's your specialty, are you PROFIS and to what unit, etc etc etc. I've heard through the rumor mill that the next big round of deployments will be in the September-October timeframe -- still able to screw up a planned June 06 ETS (unless you get lucky and only go for a short tour, as some people have).

The other thing I've heard, and perhaps someone can confirm or squash this one for me, is that if you've got less than a year on your committment (i.e., in your case if you haven't gotten any deployment orders before July 05) you won't be tagged for a deployment during your final year. Again, just a rumor, I have no idea if it's true or not.

RMD 1-4-11

R-Me-Doc said:
Docs have not yet been tagged for stop loss. The operative word, however, is "YET." Like you, I am hoping to ETS in June 06, but I do wonder what the command is going to think when they see how many docs are splitting this coming june ('05). I won't be surprised if there is some kind of stop loss put into place by the end of this year (if not for all docs, then maybe just for "critical specialties" -- i.e., surgical). There are no "rules" or "specifics," and forget about finding anything anywhere in writing. Even if it's written, it can be changed based on "needs of the Army" (I'm assuming you're Army, if not, substitute Navy, AF, etc).

As for deployments, there's a lot of variables: your branch (army, navy, AF), where are you assigned, what's your specialty, are you PROFIS and to what unit, etc etc etc. I've heard through the rumor mill that the next big round of deployments will be in the September-October timeframe -- still able to screw up a planned June 06 ETS (unless you get lucky and only go for a short tour, as some people have).

The other thing I've heard, and perhaps someone can confirm or squash this one for me, is that if you've got less than a year on your committment (i.e., in your case if you haven't gotten any deployment orders before July 05) you won't be tagged for a deployment during your final year. Again, just a rumor, I have no idea if it's true or not.

RMD 1-4-11

I think the key phrase in R-Me-Doc's response was "needs of the army." I think we all know that we can make "guestimations" at best as to what will happen.

Also which unit types are under the PROFIS system? TDA or MTOE? or are they both NOW subject to PROFIS based on the "needs of the army"