stopping anti psychotic drugs and increased sex drive/dopamine receptors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

welp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if after stopping an anti psychotic drug like risperdal / resperidone, or perhaps another like abilify, zyphrexa, etc. Does the sex drive increase for a male since the number of dopamine receptors probably d2 receptors have increased overtime due to blocking.

Members don't see this ad.

There's probably little to no data on this, since antipsychotics are intended to be used chronically and not to be discontinued. The most I suspect you'll find, if anything at all, is rat studies somewhere.

I know of no studies in this and if there are any, someone please let us know. From clinical experience I haven't seen this phenomenon happen. If anything I've seen people taken meds (antipsychotic or antidepressant) and their sex drives went down, but when the meds were stopped, it never came back quite the same. This phenomenon is extremely rare but I've seen it happen and it has been documented in journals.

most of the lack of libido from antipsychotics is probably related to hyperprolactinemia rather than blockade of mesolimbic dopamine receptors. for this reason you would not expect an increase in libido from norm in those d/c antipsychotics.