Stories about times you’ve caught fraud / fake prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, anyone want to share times you’ve identified fake prescriptions? Controls or just RX’s. Love to hear them. Doing some research! How often/prevelant of the problem do you think this is? Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks, anyone want to share times you’ve identified fake prescriptions? Controls or just RX’s. Love to hear them. Doing some research! How often/prevelant of the problem do you think this is? Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.
I've spotted quite a few. Off the top of my head...

One was "written" by a PA who graduated from my school. I texted her. She said it was fake.

One was accompanied by an ID that had the mag stripe and chip printed on.

One was on serial numbered prescriptions where the numbers were too close together to have been issued by the office (Rx 12345 issued two weeks ago followed by Rx 12347 written today).

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a big problem.

The best way to fix it would be mandatory e-prescribing.

Fake prescriptions aren't as much of a problem as irresponsible prescribing by dentists, urgent care, and ERs that never bother to check their state's prescription monitoring program.

Almost all of the pages in my "refusal to fill" binder are of doctor shoppers who didn't need to write a fake script because the prescriber was more than happy to oblige.

Reactions: 1 user
I never caught a fake script. I guess I am not any good at spotting them. My partner spotted someone calling in their own scripts. Someone else was caught writing them on fake pads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

I never caught a fake script. I guess I am not any good at spotting them. My partner spotted someone calling in their own scripts. Someone else was caught writing them on fake pads.

Really?! I could post some tips, but as posted above, I don't want this to turn into a "how-to".

Reactions: 1 user
Really?! I could post some tips, but as posted above, I don't want this to turn into a "how-to".
Well thankfully I don't think LTC has to worry about this quite as much as retail. But thanks for the offer. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Had a BNDD number instead of a DEA number. The Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs has not existed since like the 70's.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
currently lots of fake prometh/codeine scripts. be on high alert when u see phone in, or written plain paper, after hour. also oxycodones. call the office phone on the script, its invalid. call office phone on another script, doctor said its fake.

Fake prescriptions aren't as much of a problem as irresponsible prescribing by dentists, urgent care, and ERs that never bother to check their state's prescription monitoring program.

Almost all of the pages in my "refusal to fill" binder are of doctor shoppers who didn't need to write a fake script because the prescriber was more than happy to oblige.

I forgot to add, "crappy pain management PAs/NPs & old doctors that have been seeing the patient for 30 years and don't have the guts to act on a serious emerging addiction problem." To the list

I forgot to add, "crappy pain management PAs/NPs & old doctors that have been seeing the patient for 30 years and don't have the guts to act on a serious emerging addiction problem." To the list
This is probably the number one issue I ran into. The number of times I ran into 'this is what the patient has always got' is incalculable. As if being on something medically inappropriate for years is a justification to continue it.