Stories from the Match: A non traditional path to competitive specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeawithMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Joyce and I'm a PGY-2 in dermatology residency. I recently wrote a blogpost about my path to dermatology that has gotten tremendous feedback from medical students in all stages of training. Since the match is coming up, I wanted to share my story so that I can possibly help others in a similar position I was in.

I was not a traditional applicant to dermatology and because I decided late in the game, the months leading up to the match were the most stressful times of my life filled with insecurity and self doubt. I really want to share my experience with you so you know that everyone goes through major ups and downs in this process (even if everything seems perfect and peachy on social media!) and that no matter what happens, everything does work itself out in the end. What struck me the most is that since posting this article, I've had countless people (in and out of medicine) come up to me telling me they felt the exact same way. Hope you find this useful, and I'd love to hear what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• my path to derm.jpg
    my path to derm.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 275
To summarize,
Step 1: Go to Stanford
Step 2: Decide late to do derm
Step 3: Get an away rotation at UCSF
Step 4: Match to one of big 4 derm programs
Insert some emotional strife between each step.

I like your positivity and attempt to reduce other applicants' neuroticism. Beyond helping people emotionally, however, I'm not sure there is anything to learn from your story to help people's real chances if they also decided late in the game but they do not go to a top 10 medical school, they do not have AOA at a school that does give AOA, and they do not have the connections to swing a last-minute away rotation at one of the big name programs. I mostly see a lesson for pre-meds: go to the best school you can.

Reactions: 31 users
To summarize,

I like your positivity and attempt to reduce other applicants' neuroticism. Beyond helping people emotionally, however, I'm not sure there is anything to learn from your story to help people's real chances if they also decided late in the game but they do not go to a top 10 medical school, they do not have AOA at a school that does give AOA, and they do not have the connections to swing a last-minute away rotation at one of the big name programs. I mostly see a lesson for pre-meds: go to the best school you can.

lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Lesson: you chan apply to derm if you have top tier med school, awesome grade, AOA, rotation at top tier hospital, connection to people in high places.......yeeeeep guess I'm not matching derm lol

Reactions: 1 users
Do superstars from Stanford actually worry about the match? If I was a pd, I'd be writing them love letters and sending flowers to their mothers

To summarize,

Thanks for your comment. I think switching late is definitely risky and I would not recommend it. My point was that if you really think derm or any other competitive field is really the one for you, don't let the competitiveness of it stop you from even trying to apply. If I were able to help reduce any other applicants' neuroticism, though, then I'm pretty happy, because I remember that period was stressful and it was easy to feel like all that mattered were board scores and publications.

Reactions: 1 user
Lesson: you chan apply to derm if you have top tier med school, awesome grade, AOA, rotation at top tier hospital, connection to people in high places.......yeeeeep guess I'm not matching derm lol

I'm not sure if you read the post...

Reactions: 1 user
Do superstars from Stanford actually worry about the match? If I was a pd, I'd be writing them love letters and sending flowers to their mothers
I think it's all relative. I unfortunately knew a couple people who didn't match from my school each year.

To summarize,

I absolutely love her blog, including the health and beauty sections, but you said it so much better than I could about the reality, although a little harshly, but I'm assuming that was on purpose. Very few people will ever get into Stanford Med, much less ever be seriously considered at UCSF Derm, and then match into the #1 Derm residency. I can see how many would think she is leading a very privileged and charmed life when she tells her story and her perceived insecurities during interview season. After all, she started with wanting to go for Ophtho in the beginning which is probably close to Derm in terms of competitiveness.

Needless to say, her story is only possible coming from a top tier med school. When you go to a top tier med school the world is your oyster, even without the grades and board scores. 99% of us aren't that lucky, but I am glad she still told her real experience and it ended up so well for her. Lesson to all premeds, go to the most prestigious medical school you can get into.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you went to Stanford, you cannot say "non-traditional"

Sorry not sorry

Reactions: 3 users
Catching an Uber in downtown Boston is probably harder than matching any specialty when you're coming out of Stanford. Oh, and wasn't there an article not too long ago about Stanford having the 'lowest match rate' since so many students go into/get recruited/start non-residency, business endeavors that are very lucrative?

Anyway, I gotta study, and thats to hope to match something less competitive than derm..

I think it's all relative. I unfortunately knew a couple people who didn't match from my school each year.
Is there a reason they didn't other than thinking they would match in competitive fields and/or programs since they go to Stanford? No backup plans for them while applying?

Is there a reason they didn't other than thinking they would match in competitive fields and/or programs since they go to Stanford? No backup plans for them while applying?

Probably not being realistic about their chances and applying anyway. A low step score, lack of research in the field, mediocre clinical grades, applying to a small number of programs, etc.

Relax, Joyce is just like, doing some like, free marketing.

Thanks for your comment. I think switching late is definitely risky and I would not recommend it. My point was that if you really think derm or any other competitive field is really the one for you, don't let the competitiveness of it stop you from even trying to apply. If I were able to help reduce any other applicants' neuroticism, though, then I'm pretty happy, because I remember that period was stressful and it was easy to feel like all that mattered were board scores and publications.

You seem genuine; I appreciate that and wish you the best. However, I hope you also have thick skin as you have surely rolled into the den.

If not, at least you probably know how to repair it ;-)

ontological wins this thread