Storing Collected Teeth: Mouthwash or Bleach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resiliens

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've begun looking into collecting teeth and am trying to figure out the best way to store them. My school recommends 1:1 mouthwash:water ratio, although they didn't specify whether or not to use alcohol-free mouthwash. I've also read of people storing in bleach.

Some sources I've come across say bleach makes the teeth brittle, while others advise against storing in alcohol for the very same reason. So which is it?

Also, would you recommend that the mouthwash be clear or can it be the color of original Listerine?

Thanks fam.

Members don't see this ad.

I've begun looking into collecting teeth and am trying to figure out the best way to store them. My school recommends 1:1 mouthwash:water ratio, although they didn't specify whether or not to use alcohol-free mouthwash. I've also read of people storing in bleach.

Some sources I've come across say bleach makes the teeth brittle, while others advise against storing in alcohol for the very same reason. So which is it?

Also, would you recommend that the mouthwash be clear or can it be the color of original Listerine?

Thanks fam.
Store in yellow listerine. Bleach will completely whiten the tooth making it difficult to distinguish fine anatomy and evidence of carious. It will also dissolve the pulp.