Strage question about vet school and airports

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SydAlready

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel silly for even asking but does anyone know of any vet schools that are within about an hour of a major airport? My boyfriend is an air traffic control and I was hoping to find an airport close so it's not to inconvenient for either of us.

So far what I have found is the Denver air port is big enough and within an hour of CSU however I'm a bit intimidated that CSU is ranked second in the nation as far as vet schools go.

Any way it never hurts to ask right?

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts and Penn are close to airports. I'm sure many others are too. Maybe NCSU? (raleigh?) UFl? (Gainesville?)

Davis is close to an airport, as is LSU. Mizzou is farther from the main airport in the area (~2.5 hours from STL), but there is a small airport in Columbia (flights are probably really expensive, though). I feel like a better question would be which schools aren't close to airports because I think most of them are . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan State CVM is right next to the Lansing airport, which is a small international airport, an hour away from a rather large airport in Grand Rapids, and hour and a half from the Kalamazoo airport, and about an hour away from the Detroit airport (one of the largest in the country I believe).

I feel silly for even asking but does anyone know of any vet schools that are within about an hour of a major airport? My boyfriend is an air traffic control and I was hoping to find an airport close so it's not to inconvenient for either of us.

So far what I have found is the Denver air port is big enough and within an hour of CSU however I'm a bit intimidated that CSU is ranked second in the nation as far as vet schools go.

Any way it never hurts to ask right?

Don't think you really want to commute from near Denver (or to near Denver from Ft. Collins).

Major airports are going to be Class B. (your boyfriend will understand).

Any others he probably wouldn't be interested..... Class B airports by state below.

Arizona: (NO VET SCHOOL)

California: (SF is a bit of a hike from Davis. Sacramento is Class C)

Colorado: (Denver is a bit of a hike from Ft. Collins).

Florida:

Georgia:

Hawaii: (Don't we wish)

Illinois:

Kentucky:

Louisiana:

Maryland:

Massachusetts: (About an hour without traffic)

Michigan:

Minnesota:

Missouri:

Nevada: (No vet school)

New Jersey: (No vet school)

New York: (no where near cornell)

North Carolina:

Ohio:

Pennsylvania: (Penn is 20 minutes away :D)

Tennessee:

Texas:

Utah:

Virginia:

Washington:

(Source: NACO Sectional Aeronautical Charts)

Maybe other students can fill in the blanks for you....

Purdue is an hour away from Indianapolis and the Indianapolis airport.

I can't believe this is the topic that finally pushed me out of lurkerdom :laugh:. But, I love airports, and it certainly doesn't risk giving away my precious anonymity :D

University of Minnesota is about 20 minutes from MSP, a major international airport (maybe a touch longer with traffic), and there are nice places to live in St. Paul that would put you about 15 minutes away from both the vet school and the airport.

Minnesota, Penn and Tufts are all in cities with major airports. Don't know Philly or Boston well enough to know how close, but almost certainly commutable.

The 1-1.5 hour range to major airports (ones in SOV's list) would include:
LSU - New Orleans
Purdue-Indianapolis (although not on SOVs list? smaller airport?)
CSU- Denver
Western U - LAX (close on paper, but I think this could be about an 8 hour commute with LA traffic! lol)
Michigan State - Detroit
Guelph - Toronto (if air traffic controllers can work across international boundaries!)

Mostly, vet schools tend to be closer to the farms than the city :). Surprisingly short list, although I'm sure I missed some. And, almost every college town is near AN airport, just not necessarily a big one.

Last edited:
Everyone mentions LAX in California, but Ontario airport (ONT) is less than 30 min. away from WesternU.

NCSU is about a 10-15 minute drive from RDU airport. I've used it about three times myself already and have picked up my long-distance boyfriend there an equal number of times. Really convenient and good number of flights daily. Charlotte is much larger but is about 2-2.5 hours away.

I know there are airports in Columbus, too, that are wayyyy closer to OSU than Cleveland Hopkins. CLE is about 2.5 hours north of Columbus. I've never used an airport in Columbus but there are enough low-flying planes going over my apartment every day that I know there's one near by =)

I know there are airports in Columbus, too, that are wayyyy closer to OSU than Cleveland Hopkins. CLE is about 2.5 hours north of Columbus. I've never used an airport in Columbus but there are enough low-flying planes going over my apartment every day that I know there's one near by =)

Columbus definitely has an airport! I have family there and fly in a couple times a year. CMH is fairly big. I'm from the NJ/NY/PA area so its not as large as Newark, JFK, LaGuardia, or Phila, but its big compared to some other airports I've seen.

Also, Tufts is not all that near to Boston, as I think someone posted earlier. The vet school is in North Grafton, not in Boston like the undergrad/medical schools. Its like 45 min by train to Boston. Its near to Worchester, but from what I know there isn't a major airport there. Providence, RI might even be closer than Boston.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, Tufts is not all that near to Boston, as I think someone posted earlier. The vet school is in North Grafton, not in Boston like the undergrad/medical schools. Its like 45 min by train to Boston. Its near to Worchester, but from what I know there isn't a major airport there. Providence, RI might even be closer than Boston.

Just out of curiosity (because I'm only applying to Tufts this year), I looked up the various Boston area airports and their distance to Tufts campus. It looks like Boston Logan is officially the closest, at 56 minutes; Providence, RI (T.F. Green) airport is 1 hr 5 min; Manchester, NH is 1 hr 20 min. So once you take into account traffic (I'm guessing that I-90 out of Boston is more likely to have traffic than driving from Manchester, but I could be wrong), all three airports are about the same in terms of travel time. So it's an hour-plus travel time, but you have three decently sized major airports instead of just one. And having three airports to choose from means more options in terms of picking the cheapest airline/flight.

Also, just to throw out my personal experience - Penn is pretty damn convenient, airport wise. The R1 regional rail line goes directly from Philadelphia's airport to University City, and the trip takes about 15 minutes. The only downside is that it's a whopping $7 for the trip (thanks, SEPTA, for having the most ridiculous prices ever!).

There is a regional airport about 10 minutes away from Cornell, but it is not major by any means. Syracuse International (Hancock? I think that's what it's called) is about an hour away, and while it's more "major" than the one in Ithaca it's still not really a "major" airport.

I recall the Columbus airport being very close to the OSU (maybe 20 minutes tops?). I flew in and out of there for my interview in December. However, I do also remember it being relatively small (compared to JFK, LGA, PHL, etc).

Flying into Logan is the best bet for Tufts. I live in MA and there is alot of traffic. Especially if you are flying in at peak times(am commute/pm commute) than no matter what airport you fly into you will have a ton of traffic. From Manchest airport you would hit 93S/95S traffic, from TF Green airport in RI you would hit 95 north traffic and from Logan you would hit 90 west traffic, but there is less 90 west traffic in the am commute than in the PM commute. So anyway you try it, even with no traffic you are best to fly into Logan and head out to Grafton. The MBTA commuter rail station is right down the road from the Tufts vet school campus. Just have to be at the mercy of the train schedule, and sometimes the trains run late:(

To the Origin post, just wanted to add 2 cents about UF. I went there for my MS and my husband is a US customs agent at airports. He worked in Jacksonville(closest big airport to Gainesville) it is about an hour and a half away from Gainesville. I looked into vet schools near airports he could transfer to, but turns out there aren't many(he needs an airport with several international flights a day) so looks like we will be doing long-distance if I can get in this year. I am crossing my fingers for UPenn or Dublin(he could go work for US customs over there), btu I would be happy no matter where I got in:)

Wisconsin has the Madison airport just outside the city. It is not a huge airport but they do have regular commerical flight that go all over the country and also deals with a lot of the FedEx and UPS flights.

I

Don't be. The "rankings" are meaningless. That's not to say CSU is not a good school, it is. But don't pay any attention to whatever ranking you are looking at.

In fact, let's say it all together shall we?

The Vet School Rankings Are Meaningless.

I have to add to the Logan - Tufts thing. I wouldn't trust the 56 min commute given by google maps!

I commuted from Boston to Nashua, NH, which is 45 miles north (different route from Mass Pike... but they're both just as congested). It took me at least 2 hrs each way during traffic hours. Google maps has that commute at 59 - 70 min.

It took a good hour to travel just 11 miles from Cambridge to Wellesley down Mass Pike during traffic hours, going pretty much the same route you would if you were going from Logan to Tufts. Now... this is with good weather. Add in snowstorm... and you're SOL. (Not to mention the ~$10 tolls you would have to pay each day on top of gas going Logan <-> Tufts. That should be right unless I looked at the wrong exit... but it's something to look into).

If your SO is going to be travelling at very odd hours of the day, then it could work... but I would avoid driving down MassPike anywhere between 7 - 10 am, and 4 - 7 pm if you can! Great thing about Logan though, is that it's pretty much right in the city.

Wisconsin is in Madison, which has a small airport of its own, maybe 20 minutes from the vet school. The nearest big airport would be Milwaukee, which is like an hour and a half or so away.

If I remember correctly, Ohio SU (Columbus airport) was about 30 minutes away.

Western U from Ontario airport is about 30 minutes away. Depends on traffic which varies greatly. Gotta love LA.

Davis is close to Sacramento but about 1.5-2 hours away from SFO. This can be up to 3-4 hours depending on traffic. (I don't miss Bay Area traffic one bit!) However, Davis doesn't accept very many OOSers, so keep that in mind. I don't know what the WICHE acceptance rates are. Maybe someone can chime in on this one?

Rankings are a load of crap. The best vet school out there is the one you're accepted to and attend. It doesn't matter what school you go to in the world. If you can't communicate effectively, then what's the point of being book smart and having a degree from a top ranked University? (Sorry for the tangent.)

The Columbus International airport (CMH) is like 15 min, tops, from the vet school, and really easy to get to. There is also the Ohio State airport, which is smaller and again, 20 min from the airport in the opposite direction.

And I personally recommend OSU cuz it's a pretty cool school.

Surprised it took so long to get Ohio mentioned! Their airport is very near the school.

Western has an airport very close by as well.

Texas A&M also technically has an airport but it's not a major one.