straight out of dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theilleztpaki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any1 know the salary of a newly graduated dentist?? And how much would that come out to after taxes?? i want to know this to see how life would be the first couple of years after paying off students loans. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

here we go again...there are a million salary threads on this forum, but to sum it up...

you will NOT be rollin in your mercedes benz right after graduation. you will make at MOST about $100K gross income as an associate, and after taxes about $70K. That's about $5800 per month, minus your loan payment (anywhere from $1000 to $3000) minus ALL OTHER COSTS OF LIVING.

sorry.... anyelse have any input???

here we go again...there are a million salary threads on this forum, but to sum it up...

you will NOT be rollin in your mercedes benz right after graduation. you will make at MOST about $100K gross income as an associate, and after taxes about $70K. That's about $5800 per month, minus your loan payment (anywhere from $1000 to $3000) minus ALL OTHER COSTS OF LIVING.

Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically, right out of school, you can't expect much. You'll be slow, and inexperienced. Why would anybody pay top dollar for that?

I disagree. From what I hear around the dental community, the average salary for an associate ranges from 300-700, but 500 seems to be the "norm". At 500 a day, working 5 days a week that is 10k a month, putting you at 120k or so untaxed. So after taxes you do the math.

anywhere from 500 and up a day is pretty good for an associate...by the way where did u hear this..

I disagree. From what I hear around the dental community, the average salary for an associate ranges from 300-700, but 500 seems to be the "norm". At 500 a day, working 5 days a week that is 10k a month, putting you at 120k or so untaxed. So after taxes you do the math.

Realistically, right out of school, you can't expect much. You'll be slow, and inexperienced. Why would anybody pay top dollar for that?

from what i hear, you won't be slow and inexperienced if you go to a clinically focused school. but then there's GPR/AEGD if you lack the confidence.

from what i hear, you won't be slow and inexperienced if you go to a clinically focused school. but then there's GPR/AEGD if you lack the confidence.

Not all GPRs and AEGDs are for people who lack confidence. The AEGD at the VA hospital in San Antonio is one of the best programs in the country, and you have to be ranked pretty high in the class... I know a guy who was accepted who was number 11. So AEGDs and GPRs can be very competitive... not just for the dental student who couldn't cut it clinically or lacks confidence.

Yes... some programs are like a 5th year of dental school, but there are plenty of others that offer experiences you wouldn't get elsewhere... i.e. placing at least 70 implants (most place more than that) at the GPR at MCG.

it deponds, but what I have heard, it will be in range between 80K-130K. what I am thinking is not the money the dentist can make, IMO, job security for dentist is huge preference, plus enjoying from what you are doing. if money is the(only) reason for choosing dentistry, I think there are better and easier alternatives.

it deponds, but what I have heard, it will be in range between 80K-130K. what I am thinking is not the money the dentist can make, IMO, job security for dentist is huge preference, plus enjoying from what you are doing. if money is the(only) reason for choosing dentistry, I think there are better and easier alternatives.

Like what?

Yeah, I can't come up with those alternatives either. It's not like the 80's when you could make a fortune by selling candies besides haveing a small sense of business.

Like what?

Yeah, I can't come up with those alternatives either. It's not like the 80's when you could make a fortune by selling candies besides haveing a small sense of business.

Ok, lets start, there is a guy in my apartemant complex that owns little limousine company started with one sedan in 1998,, last year he filed 215k gross!
in my the company I am currently working( limousine company as a driver) the average income is 70K! threr are few drivers that make over 90K. many of these people even can not work with computer. I know a waiter( a simple waiter in 2000 the time I knew him). he moved to Noth Carolina in 2001, after a year opend two chain Pitza resturants, two years ago he came back to the Dallas and open a resturant with almost half a million, investment. A friend a mine owns litlle home improvement company and makes easily >100k a year these are the people I myself know, and I am sure, if you look around, you will see these alternatives like what I see. maybe I can recognize these alternatives ways because I am older than you and having a little more experience. :thumbup:

On a similar note, my friend dropped out of college after 1 year and is making 6 figures as a programmer. Obviously, you and I don't know how to work with code the same way he does, otherwise we'd probably being doing that instead. However, as predents, if we were to focus as much time developing a skill as we have in developing academic prowess, we'd probably be pretty successful in a number of other money making jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)

Those sound like Cali numbers ;)

What about Middle America?

Ok, lets start, there is a guy in my apartemant complex that owns little limousine company started with one sedan in 1998,, last year he filed 215k gross!
in my the company I am currently working( limousine company as a driver) the average income is 70K! threr are few drivers that make over 90K. many of these people even can not work with computer. I know a waiter( a simple waiter in 2000 the time I knew him). he moved to Noth Carolina in 2001, after a year opend two chain Pitza resturants, two years ago he came back to the Dallas and open a resturant with almost half a million, investment. A friend a mine owns litlle home improvement company and makes easily >100k a year these are the people I myself know, and I am sure, if you look around, you will see these alternatives like what I see. maybe I can recognize these alternatives ways because I am older than you and having a little more experience. :thumbup:

But those types of jobs are rare. It takes a lot more time and it is a lot harder to start a successful limousine company or chain of pizza restaurants than it is to be a successful dentist. And none of that is guaranteed. If you go to dental school and pass all your exams, you WILL be a dentist (majority of the time) and you WILL make >100k. Simple as that. With the exception of other health professions (optometrists, doctors, pharmacists, etc.) No other job is like that.

Thats just my opinion.:thumbup:

How much you will make will be a function of what you produce/collect.

But those types of jobs are rare. It takes a lot more time and it is a lot harder to start a successful limousine company or chain of pizza restaurants than it is to be a successful dentist. And none of that is guaranteed. If you go to dental school and pass all your exams, you WILL be a dentist (majority of the time) and you WILL make >100k. Simple as that. With the exception of other health professions (optometrists, doctors, pharmacists, etc.) No other job is like that.

What if you didn't go to college and instead decided to use those 4 years of undergrad + 4 years of dental school + $$$ in loans to establish a pizza joint? Loans would be an issue as a high school diploma holder with no credit, but supportive parents could help. I don't think it's that far farfetched. I imagine that you'd be able to be successful in less than 8 years, and with less than 25 years worth of loan debt.

I totally agree with Andre. Yes, looking around I can find few X number of people who make six figures without even having a high school diploma, but at the same time I can find 100X number of people who cannot find a job with their university degree. The guys that Danny289 mentioned do no represent random people. I have two friends who have graduated with their degree in business, and have no clue what they are supposed to do. The guy with the limousine company or the one with the pizza chains have been very talented, sharp and smart in what they have done, besides being lucky with the time (1998 or 2004). Try opening a pizza place or a limousine company at this time of recession (and more to come) and good luck with that. Sure, there are different opportunities for making money even at recessions, but then I can't come up with any, and people who can are again those people with the creative minds, and right tactics. IMO, just because we are good at learning organic chemistry or the physics laws does not mean we can go out and find easy ways of making money without education. It does mean that if we follow this path into dentistry, and work hard, we will be able to make a good income in future, but I don't see easier ways of making money at least for me (And I'm sure, many other average applicants are just like me).

What if you didn't go to college and instead decided to use those 4 years of undergrad + 4 years of dental school + $$$ in loans to establish a pizza joint? Loans would be an issue as a high school diploma holder with no credit, but supportive parents could help. I don't think it's that far farfetched. I imagine that you'd be able to be successful in less than 8 years, and with less than 25 years worth of loan debt.

Sure thats possible but thats a much higher risk endeavor than becoming a dentist is. Too many things have to go right and those would have to be REALLY supportive parents. Plus if you are trying to start your own business you probably will have a debt comparable to that of a dentist. I'm not saying that there aren't people out there making the same money dentists are making doing other things. I just think that being a dentist is a safer way to insure a >100k income... If you are interested in healthcare that is.

Right, getting loans would be an issue, so supportive parents could help. But what if you take the support and blow it up in a couple of years followed by bankrupcy? Also, there aren't that many parents to support, and there are far less parents to support for a second time.
IMO, becoming successful by having educatinoal credentials (like us) is much easier than becoming succesful without any education. The guy with high school diploma who gets to become successful IN THIS ERA has to be far sharper and smarter than us (Not in solving math problems, but in other issues related to business).

:^ maybe that is different view of world we have.
those people I talked about, I worked(working) with. I know them very well and honestly none of them are talented as you say. they are dedicated to what they do( I mean hard working, and customer service....).
in other hand I shadowed a dentist years ago. she graduated from dental school in 1998 or 1999 ( I don't remeber exactlly). she opend her practice just end of 2006! she was working kinda of government job and making much less than those people I mentioned in my previous post.
in other hand I had a dentist from California as my client last year. He was very happy because he could win one $20 rare gold coin for 232K in action!
(I think you can imagine how much money he is making that can pay 232000 dollars in one bid!)
IMO, put your mind and energy in whatever you are doing you will be succeed.
my whole point "education is not equall to money".
just my opinion! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Sure thats possible but thats a much higher risk endeavor than becoming a dentist is. Too many things have to go right and those would have to be REALLY supportive parents. Plus if you are trying to start your own business you probably will have a debt comparable to that of a dentist. I'm not saying that there aren't people out there making the same money dentists are making doing other things. I just think that being a dentist is a safer way to insure a >100k income... If you are interested in healthcare that is.

:thumbup: agree with this phrase "safer way" I mentioned in my first post in this thread.

So, why u want to be a dentist again????

:^ maybe that is different view of world we have.
those people I talked about, I worked(working) with. I know them very well and honestly none of them are talented as you say. they are dedicated to what they do( I mean hard working, and customer service....).
in other hand I shadowed a dentist years ago. she graduated from dental school in 1998 or 1999 ( I don't remeber exactlly). she opend her practice just end of 2006! she was working kinda of government job and making much less than those people I mentioned in my previous post.
in other hand I had a dentist from California as my client last year. He was very happy because he could win one $20 rare gold coin for 232K in action!
(I think you can imagine how much money he is making that can pay 232000 dollars in one bid!)
IMO, put your mind and energy in whatever you are doing you will be succeed.
my whole point "education is not equall to money".
just my opinion! :thumbup:

what i mean to say, in dentistry there is no limit to how much u can make in private dentistry. It depends on how many hours/days u work. after all dentistry is a business. the more u know the business side, the better u can do and make.

Maybe you can assign a numerical value to "a lot".

what i mean to say, in dentistry there is no limit to how much u can make in private dentistry. It depends on how many hours/days u work. after all dentistry is a business. the more u know the business side, the better u can do and make.
but there is a general ceiling, for which say 95% of dentists will struggle to surpass no matter how many hours/how fast they are/what area they're in etc..

There is always a limit. After all the max is 24/7.

There is always a limit. After all the max is 24/7.
haha, yes, i'm just trying to emphasize the point that life is not all about money, i would rather work less and have less money but the time to spend with a wife and kids rather than work 7-9, 5-6 days a week!

Be a dentist because you actually like it, otherwise you may not be happy in the long run.

on another note, all the dentists i know make more then any of the websites state that list salaries....

also, a good friend of mine is about to graduate from dental school and has a job offer making quite a bit more than 100K (somewhere in the neighborhood of 130-150K, maybe a little more, maybe a little less Im not sure exactly)... Maybe he is one of the lucky exceptions...? not sure.