Apr 22, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I hate to this because I am already leaning one way but in my close group of friend this seems to be a polarizing question. So if you had a choice between going straight to Howard University or doing the GEMS program and having a great chance at Georgetown the next year, which would you pick?

weezynation

5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2011
Status
Medical Student
take the guaranteed md acceptance, every time. Nothing is certain and you'll be giving up at least a full year's salary in order to spend more money - always a losing combination. :thumbdown:
+1

jippyslim

7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2010
Midwest
Status
Dental Student
Take the guaranteed MD acceptance, every time. Nothing is certain and you'll be giving up at least a full year's salary in order to spend more money - always a losing combination. :thumbdown:
:thumbup:

Jan 4, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Take the guaranteed MD acceptance, every time. Nothing is certain and you'll be giving up at least a full year's salary in order to spend more money - always a losing combination. :thumbdown:

:thumbup::thumbup: (just in case you wondered if everyone agrees)

RedSox10

5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Two years into the Georgetown program after you've essentially taken (some?all?) of the first two years of med school classes, you will be hating yourself for not just taking the sure fire MD.

OP
M
Apr 22, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Haha. Trust me I personally can't find a reason to turn down a med school acceptance for a post bacc but some people seem to think that Georgetown trumps Howard enough to warrant a consideration. I don't see it, though the program at Georgetown is top notch imho.

weezynation

5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Haha. Trust me I personally can't find a reason to turn down a med school acceptance for a post bacc but some people seem to think that Georgetown trumps Howard enough to warrant a consideration. I don't see it, though the program at Georgetown is top notch imho.
Let me guess...those people are not pursuing medicine/have never applied to med school before. If this is the case, they are just uninformed. If these people are pursuing medicine/have applied before, they are obviously ridiculous.