straight up...what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartwater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here goes...

I graduated college in May 2008 with a BS degree in bioengineering and a 3.55 gpa. I have no clue what my BCPM gpa is. I did get a C in 2nd semester physics, but it was significantly harder because it was tailored towards engineering students. I also got a C in ochem I, but I retook it and got an A. The rest were A's and B's.

Here is the stuff I was/am involved in:

- almost 2 years of research during undergrad, but it was more engineering/water science/microbiology and I wasn't published
- a summer of biomedical engineering research at UW Madison
- two summers working with developmentally disabled kids (I want to go into pediatrics)
- about 6 or 7 months volunteering in the peds unit of a hospital
- I currently volunteer in a clinic that provides low-cost healthcare to the underserved community. I volunteer in the pharmacy.
- I currently work for a company that uses cadavers to train surgeons and other medical professionals. I have gotten to observe several surgeries (mainly orthopedic and spinal) and have gotten to help procure some body parts

I am also a URM female (but I DON'T want this to be the only reason that I get in). I'm taking the MCAT in May and hopefully I can score at least a 30. I should actually be studying right now...

Anyhow, with all this being said, what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

The time you've spent in research is substantial, and it doesn't matter that is wasn't in the basic sciences. Your clinical experience is impressive and includes community service positions, which is expected. Your job working with cadavers is unique and will likely open some of the conversations at your interviews. I do not see a leadership position or teaching/mentoring, either of which would be good to list.

Your GPA of 3.55 is in the competitive range (3.65 is the mean GPA for acceptees to med school). The fact that you were an engineering major might add on a .05 at some schools. The C in Physics will be a detraction at some schools (unless you took an upper-level physics course and did better or plan to repeat it). I'm glad you repeated the OChem and got an A. I think you have a good chance of acceptance with an MCAT score of 30. A 32+ would get you a great chance, or the possibility of acceptance into more selective schools (if you care about that). I am assuming you'll have a compelling Personal Statement, enthusiastic Letters of Recommendation, and an ability to interview well.

I think you have a good chance to get in if your MCAT is strong and you interview well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also say you have a good shot provided you have a BCPM of at least a 3.5 and score a MCAT of 30+. Your EC's are absolutely awesome and you have research which is a definite plus. I'm assuming your BCPM will be near your cGPA as you said you are an engineer major, so again you should have a pretty good shot.

I do not see a leadership position or teaching/mentoring, either of which would be good to list.

Thank you so much for your reply! As for leadership, I was the team leader for my senior year engineering capstone project. All 4 of the other members said I was an AWESOME leader, but they were too lazy to nominate me for the leadership award. So I don't have any tangible accomplishments there. I taught a kids scrapbooking class when I was in highschool and I am *kinda* involved with the kids at my church. I saw all of these experiences as unimportant, and I didn't think it was necessary to list them. Do you think otherwise?

Thank you so much for your reply! As for leadership, I was the team leader for my senior year engineering capstone project. All 4 of the other members said I was an AWESOME leader, but they were too lazy to nominate me for the leadership award. So I don't have any tangible accomplishments there. I taught a kids scrapbooking class when I was in highschool and I am *kinda* involved with the kids at my church. I saw all of these experiences as unimportant, and I didn't think it was necessary to list them. Do you think otherwise?

I think the team leader is significant- especially if you work was presented to an audience or media outlet.

It's best to leave out high school experiences, but the involvement with kids through your church has potential. What did you do exactly? And I agree with mbe36 about the team leader position. You''ll have the opportunity to describe details in the narrative about that role.

So here goes...

I graduated college in May 2008 with a BS degree in bioengineering and a 3.55 gpa. I have no clue what my BCPM gpa is. I did get a C in 2nd semester physics, but it was significantly harder because it was tailored towards engineering students. I also got a C in ochem I, but I retook it and got an A. The rest were A's and B's.

Here is the stuff I was/am involved in:

- almost 2 years of research during undergrad, but it was more engineering/water science/microbiology and I wasn't published
- a summer of biomedical engineering research at UW Madison
- two summers working with developmentally disabled kids (I want to go into pediatrics)
- about 6 or 7 months volunteering in the peds unit of a hospital
- I currently volunteer in a clinic that provides low-cost healthcare to the underserved community. I volunteer in the pharmacy.
- I currently work for a company that uses cadavers to train surgeons and other medical professionals. I have gotten to observe several surgeries (mainly orthopedic and spinal) and have gotten to help procure some body parts

I am also a URM female (but I DON'T want this to be the only reason that I get in). I'm taking the MCAT in May and hopefully I can score at least a 30. I should actually be studying right now...

Anyhow, with all this being said, what are my chances?

I would say that at this point it all depends on your MCAT. Don't be so certain that you attain a certain score though...many people have said they want to "hopefully score a 30" and come back with a 25...although some come back with a 34+

Good luck...dont worry too much about the 2 C's, lots of ppl get them