stranded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grasshopper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, is anybody else stranded at a med school interview? I'm in Pittsburgh indefinitely, I guess. Didn't even get to have the interviews because the university shut down. We did get to do all the touring stuff though .. . .man this is a great place! The anatomy labs are awesome, and I'll never forget them becuase we were all in there looking around when somebody came over the intercom and told us about the WTC. Anyway, looks like I'm going to be missing quite a bit of school, since the Pittsburgh airport has apparently been taken over as a military base. Are there others out there stranded in random cities for the same reason, or was this the only interview session going on today?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow grasshoper, I think I would be very nervous about missing so much school. Have you looked into other means of transportation? When will you get another interview? Hope everything works out for you!

Well, I didn't get stranded today at GW, (I was fortunate enough to catch a ride home from one of the other interviewee-to-be's father. Evidently all the doctors that were lined up to interview us were called to help with the Pentagon tragedy. They said they'd try to reschedule our interviews for later.

best of luck getting home,
chunk-ee

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck getting home, grasshopper!

Originally posted by grasshopper:
•Just out of curiousity, is anybody else stranded at a med school interview? I'm in Pittsburgh indefinitely, I guess. Didn't even get to have the interviews because the university shut down. We did get to do all the touring stuff though .. . .man this is a great place! The anatomy labs are awesome, and I'll never forget them becuase we were all in there looking around when somebody came over the intercom and told us about the WTC. Anyway, looks like I'm going to be missing quite a bit of school, since the Pittsburgh airport has apparently been taken over as a military base. Are there others out there stranded in random cities for the same reason, or was this the only interview session going on today?•

Do you have any idea how long the airport at Pittsburgh will be shut down? Are we talking a few days, or more like weeks?

The last thing I need is somebody helping me worry more. :) I freaked out at first, but there's honestly nothing I can do. I go to school on the west coast, so driving is impossible, and amtrack is just as defunct as the plane system right now. I have never before missed lecture, period, so I do see where you're coming from, but I think my professors will be understanding, and I'll work closely with them to catch up when I get back. I don't know what else to say.

baylor21--I was thinking maybe this weekend, but your guess is as good as mine . ..

anybody have any suggestions for fun things to do within walking distance of u pitt in the meantime? :) Watching CNN is getting old quickly . ..

Oh, man, Grasshopper, that really sucks. I am sure your professors will understand, though, considering the whole situation.

Sorry, but can't think of anything fun to do in Pittsburgh. If you like it that much and end up going there, though, it would good to scout out the area (maybe take a look at available housing, areas, etc) and find your way around town.

Hope it all works out!

I am actually also very worried about this. My plane is set to fly off on Thursday morning to head to Michigan from Oakland and now I don't know what is going on. To make matters worse, I have not even begun to work on my interview preparation. Who knows if all my connecting flights will be where they are supposed to be....this is going to be a rough week for our nation...and of course ...b/c of my wonderful luck..I have already purchased over 1,000 dollars in airflights on united and american airline to fly all around the country over the next two weeks!!

Oh, thank God you are ok ScoobyDoo. I remember you saying something about staying in Manhattan and I have been worried. Phew. Good to have you. :)

hi again guys, and thanks for all your support. A couple of us from yesterday's session showed up this morning at the admissions office in suits, so they started calling around and scrounged up a couple of interviews for us. I think we're probably the first ever group of Pitt interviewees that didn't get the list of questions they're supposed to ask every applicant. In fact, one interviewer mentioned that they had been specifically instructed not to ask our greatest weakness, as they customarily do. I guess they're afraid we'll break down or something. Concerning Pittsburgh: this is an awesome school to be stranded at. It wasn't necessarily a "top choice", but I've seen so much that I really like that it's becoming higher on my list. If anybody wants to hear more about why I say that, personal message me.

As for the airline situation, I dont' know what I'm going to do. I'll try making some phone calls this afternoon. Any suggestions about whom to call or how to expedite the situation would be greatly appreciated, although I think this is a really good lesson for me in flexibility in the meantime. Certainly not something I'll ever forget. :)

hi all. i am stranded in new orleans. today i had my tulane interview. day after WTC disaster. i was the only one here. of 10 interviewees, 9 cancelled, but i got here on monday to visit some friends. kind of weird to interview today and be the only one. now i can't get back to LA. wish me luck.

Originally posted by grasshopper:
•anybody have any suggestions for fun things to do within walking distance of u pitt in the meantime? :) Watching CNN is getting old quickly . ..•

Here are a few things for you to do in Pittsburgh. Ask someone how to get to Schenley Park - you can walk there, and it's a nice place to spend some time. Also, the Carnegie museums of art and natural history are located about two blocks from the campus - behind the Cathedral of Learning on Forbes Avenue. The Carnegie public library, right next to the museums, is worth checking out too. As I'm sure you found, there are a lot of places to eat on Forbes Avenue near the university. That's about everything in walking distance! Hope this helps.

Thanks for the concern praying4md :) :)
I'm not going to manhatten until end of october.