DMDDDSHopeful

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2016
1,193
1,502
Status
Pre-Dental
I just want to understand if anyone else had a similar suggestion. One school admissions, I won't name the school, said that they have applicants this year applying with PhDs and MDs. At first, I thought the MDs were applying to become Oral Surgeons, but was told no, they are changing careers.

So the advice given to me was that if I want to be competitive, to apply to PhD programs meanwhile I wait to hear from schools.

Is the competition really getting that crazy? Are people really going above a postbacc and/or Masters to get into Dental?

I would like some serious thoughts and answers. Thanks.
 

NavyDDS1990

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2014
1,041
919
Status
Dental Student
I am currently in my master's to get into dental school and seems it's working great for me since I have 3 interviews so far
 
OP
DMDDDSHopeful

DMDDDSHopeful

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2016
1,193
1,502
Status
Pre-Dental
I am currently in my master's to get into dental school and seems it's working great for me since I have 3 interviews so far
Yeah I just saw your thread and am very happy for you. It would be a big bummer if the time and money you've spent on a graduate program didn't work out.
 

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
8,161
2,300
Status
Dentist
I just want to understand if anyone else had a similar suggestion. One school admissions, I won't name the school, said that they have applicants this year applying with PhDs and MDs. At first, I thought the MDs were applying to become Oral Surgeons, but was told no, they are changing careers. So the advice given to me was that if I want to be competitive, to apply to PhD programs meanwhile I wait to hear from schools. Is the competition really getting that crazy? Are people really going above a postbacc and/or Masters to get into Dental? I would like some serious thoughts and answers. Thanks.
applicant- singular
applicants- plural (more than 1)
 

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
658
707
USA
Status
Dental Student
I just want to understand if anyone else had a similar suggestion. One school admissions, I won't name the school, said that they have applicants this year applying with PhDs and MDs. At first, I thought the MDs were applying to become Oral Surgeons, but was told no, they are changing careers.

So the advice given to me was that if I want to be competitive, to apply to PhD programs meanwhile I wait to hear from schools.

Is the competition really getting that crazy? Are people really going above a postbacc and/or Masters to get into Dental?

I would like some serious thoughts and answers. Thanks.
Don't attend that school.

I'm only half joking BTW. For them to say that you need a PhD to attend dental school seems to say a lot about how wacked up and delusional they are.

If I felt like I needed to get a PhD to go to professional school, I'd just use my PhD to do R&D for a Fortune 500 company.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DMDDDSHopeful
OP
DMDDDSHopeful

DMDDDSHopeful

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2016
1,193
1,502
Status
Pre-Dental
Don't attend that school.

I'm only half joking BTW. For them to say that you need a PhD to attend dental school seems to say a lot about how wacked up and delusional they are.

If I felt like I needed to get a PhD to go to professional school, I'd just use my PhD to do R&D for a Fortune 500 company.
It's a non-Ivy League state school that claims a 22AA average.
 
F

fogorvostan

My class at MWU AZ has some with masters degrees (maybe 15-20 or so), a few without a bachelors, but the rest are your typical applicant. There's no way I would do more than a masters degree for dental school.
 
OP
DMDDDSHopeful

DMDDDSHopeful

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2016
1,193
1,502
Status
Pre-Dental
My class at MWU AZ has some with masters degrees (maybe 15-20 or so), a few without a bachelors, but the rest are your typical applicant. There's no way I would do more than a masters degree for dental school.
So if that's what they told you to do, you wouldn't do it? Just curious. I mean, heck, I did what AT Still told me to do and they still rejected me the cycle after so in that respect, I think you're right with what you said.
 
F

fogorvostan

So if that's what they told you to do, you wouldn't do it? Just curious. I mean, heck, I did what AT Still told me to do and they still rejected me the cycle after so in that respect, I think you're right with what you said.
If a dental school told me I needed a PhD to attend there, I would scratch them off of my list of schools to apply to. I'm not going to spend a minimum of 4 years getting a PhD to then spend 4 more years to become a dentist. That's a waste of time and money on tuition, not to mention a loss of future income.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DMDDDSHopeful

frozenicecreamDMD

2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2016
341
278
Status
Dental Student
hmm dental schools only last for 4 years. some people spend 2 3 years on masters, and thats already a lot.

in reality, majority of dental students just finished their bachelors.

just do well in your bachelors, and you will have no problem competing with the PhDs and Masters.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DMDDDSHopeful

bwc

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2015
355
99
Status
Pre-Dental
However, nowadays, only 30% of people go into dental school straight out of college. The other 70% either got graduate degrees or took gap years.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DMDDDSHopeful

ncide

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
1,317
1,372
Status
Dental Student
Sounds like UCLA...?

A sizable amount of my classmates have masters degrees. More often than not people did not go directly into dental school from undergrad.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DMDDDSHopeful
OP
DMDDDSHopeful

DMDDDSHopeful

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2016
1,193
1,502
Status
Pre-Dental
However, nowadays, only 30% of people go into dental school straight out of college. The other 70% either got graduate degrees or took gap years.
I might complain that I'm having difficulty gaining an invite or acceptance with a 3.9 for a MS degree but I can attest that there's people who did a double Masters to get in so just throwing that out there. I, myself, refuse to do a second Masters. I would go for a PhD instead. There's quite a lot of DMD, MS and DMD, PhD but I don't see the benefit of doing a second Masters to just apply, but that is just my opinion.
 
  • Like
Reactions: x0jessmariex3

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
8,161
2,300
Status
Dentist
However, nowadays, only 30% of people go into dental school straight out of college. The other 70% either got graduate degrees or took gap years.
Did these statistics come out from the same hat as the rabbit?
 
OP
DMDDDSHopeful

DMDDDSHopeful

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2016
1,193
1,502
Status
Pre-Dental
3.5 undergrad GPA and a 3.9 grad GPA and you are not competitive? What?!
I had a bad start in college but then graduated with honors for my bachelors, then I immediately did a postbacc that led to a Masters and applied since. No, thats why I don't buy this "upward trend" philosophy. I've hit Dean's Lists, I have TA'ed, I have research, I have publications, etc. I think bottom line is that admissions rather see someone who were hitting 3.5-4.0 from the get go. Even if it means that the courses involved "nonsense" classes like "Intro to being a Freshman".
 
  • Like
Reactions: x0jessmariex3