Strange Letter from Marquette Today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruprick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get this? Today they invited me to be in their "alternate pool" if I send them a $1,000 deposit. I haven't even interviewed there!

1) Only school I've had experience with that makes you to pay to be in their alternate pool.

2) Strange that they would ask me for that $$ without an interview given that my stats are not through the roof.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, Tufts requires a $750 deposit for waitlist positions but with an interview.....So it is kinda strange......Good luck anyways

I hear they only cash it if you're accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
mkdds said:
Well, Tufts requires a $750 deposit for waitlist positions but with an interview.....So it is kinda strange......Good luck anyways

If you get in the money is applied to the tuition.

If you don't get in (beacuse they don't have room for you not because you chose to withdraw and go to another school) they return the $750.

to OP: call the school and clerify, it seems stange to be paying money for an alternate position if you have not had an interview.

howui3 said:
If you get in the money is applied to the tuition.

If you don't get in (beacuse they don't have room for you not because you chose to withdraw and go to another school) they return the $750.

to OP: call the school and clerify, it seems stange to be paying money for an alternate position if you have not had an interview.
I agree...I'm thinking that it may be a mistake. I am calling them first thing tomorrow. I intend to ask them how many people received that letter as well! If the letter was only sent to a few applicants, I may consider sending in the deposit.

Hahhaha, that would be so messed up if they didn't give you the money back if you didn't matriculate.

I just remembered another strange fact: I didn't ever send them my application fee, either!

My friend got the same strange letter today as well. He never interviewed there either. But Marquette use to grant acceptances without interviews just a few years ago. So who knows.

It's like somebody telling you...
Pay us a 1000 bucks and then we'll think about accepting you.
And if you can't pay us a 1000 bucks, well then, too bad.

Pay me 1 Million $ and give me a freak'n Lazer and I will think about writing you a letter of recommendation.

I got that same letter too. At least it's refundable.

Last year I paid the $750 dollars to be on their alternate list. My DAT scores were a 17 AA and 17PA at that point, 3.5 GPA. They returned the check around september. So they do not cash it until they accept you. However, this year my DAT scorea are 20 AA and 24 PA. I thought that this would push me into the acceptable pile but I guess not, I'm fine with going to LSU. I think they put you in the alternate list to give you hope so that you will apply next year. They want to say that 2000+ students apply there each year to make them look very competitive. But that is just my opinion; I may be wrong.

haha, if i get this letter, it's going straight to the trash. asking for money just to interview is an absolute joke, even if they don't cash it unless you're accepted.

i guess it fits this joke of an institution that continually gives applicants the runaround if they call and try to find out their status.

Ruprick said:
Did anyone else get this? Today they invited me to be in their "alternate pool" if I send them a $1,000 deposit. I haven't even interviewed there!

1) Only school I've had experience with that makes you to pay to be in their alternate pool.

2) Strange that they would ask me for that $$ without an interview given that my stats are not through the roof.

Yep I got the same letter! I did interview there however. I won't be sending the money so I guess it doesn't matter anyway!

Ruprick said:

I haven't received jack. The last piece of useful information I received from the school was that I was ON HOLD...but that was in December! I've already been accepted into a couple of schools but MU is my first choice. Last Friday, I spoke with some 2nd year students who I'm close friends with. They, all, said that one of their professors who has a seat on the admissions committee told them all seats for regular admissions were filled. :mad:

so i actually did get this letter today and i read it.

the original post made me think you were paying to be put in the alternate pool, which would require an interview. however, it's basically paying to be put on their wait list. their class is full, so if someone cancels, you get bumped up. so it's not as bad as i originally thought.

regardless, i'm not sending them a check.

ltb said:

the original post made me think you were paying to be put in the alternate pool, which would require an interview. however, it's basically paying to be put on their wait list. their class is full, so if someone cancels, you get bumped up. so it's not as bad as i originally thought.

I got it too. Weird. I filed it away into a metal can with other papers and a banana peel.

ltb said:

Wrong. You are indeed paying a deposit to be in their alternate pool. I confirmed this today with them over the phone. This letter went out to people who had and hadn't interviewed.

For those that haven't interviewed, if their number was picked in the alternate pool it would be up to the ADCOM as to whether or not an interview is necessary.

If it makes any of you feel better, I got a regection letter from them yesterday. I fake cried to make my wife laugh.

i got the same letter - it seems like they sent out a bunch of them... and i bet the $1000 deposit makes the alternate pool considerably smaller! who has an extra $1000 laying around to send off "just in case???" not me. peace, milwaukee.

Ruprick said:
Wrong. You are indeed paying a deposit to be in their alternate pool. I confirmed this today with them over the phone. This letter went out to people who had and hadn't interviewed.

For those that haven't interviewed, if their number was picked in the alternate pool it would be up to the ADCOM as to whether or not an interview is necessary.
if you took the time to read my post, you'd understand that i made a distinction between the two. i assumed "alternate pool" meant you would still need to be interviewed, while "wait list" means you will not require one. this is pretty obvious if you take the time to read the post instead of automatically trying to show your intellectual superiority.