Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

strange problem

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by relatively prime, Jun 3, 2002.

1. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

My very kind and enthusiastic pre-med advisor has decided he wants to send out my LORs NOW! :rolleyes: Lord... I hope he gets my e-mail before he actually does this.

2. ellerose

ellerose Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought that a pre-med advisor can't (shouldn't) send out your LORs until you request it. And usually you shouldn't request them to be sent until you actually get secondaries from schools saying that they want them. Depending on how many schools you are applying to, that will be a lot of postage and poor trees sacrificed if you don't even get secondaries from all of your schools. I wonder, though, if schools would simply throw out LORs that are unrequested, or will they read them and put weight on whether or not a student gets a secondary?

3. relatively prime

7+ Year Member

Well, he got my e-mail and he's going to wait until June 17. But to answer your questions...

1)Very few schools selectively send out secondaries... almost all schools now-adays send out secondaries to everyone.

2)To my knowledge... after they get your AMCAS application, medical schools just throw everything you send them into a file. They're not going to take the time to see if it's something the requested... they're just going to throw it into your pile until it's time for them to review your application.

3) I don't think you have to wait until you get your secondaries to send out your LORs... especially the basic ones, like 2 science profs and 1 non-science prof. The ones you'll send after you get the secondaries will be specific ones... like for a strange example... I've heard that Loma Linda asks for a recommendation from your priest.
    However, a lot of pre-med website say you shouldn't send recommendations till after you get secondaries.... but I don't know if that means you can't.

4) About postage and trees... it's not that much more paper and postage to send out a few extra recommendations... and hopefully, the medical schools recycle :)

4. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Most of the schools I heard from won't even look at them until your file is complete. And if they haven't sent you a secondary (which is their way of requesting your LOR's), they WILL toss them.

5. relatively prime

7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by UCNate:
    <strong>Most of the schools I heard from won't even look at them until your file is complete. And if they haven't sent you a secondary (which is their way of requesting your LOR's), they WILL toss them.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you serious? Where did you hear this? I always thought they wouldn't care...

6. KKay999

KKay999 Member
    15+ Year Member

How does you advisor know where to send them being that you haven't gotten any information from the schools yet. Doesn't it seem like your advisor's jumping the gun a little? Do you think that you would come across as somewhat cocky or overconfident especially if some of these schools haven't even decided if they want to review your file any further? I wouldn't want to give the ACOM the slighest reason to question my application. Just something to think about. :rolleyes:

7. relatively prime

7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by KKay999:
    <strong>How does you advisor know where to send them being that you haven't gotten any information from the schools yet. Doesn't it seem like your advisor's jumping the gun a little? Do you think that you would come across as somewhat cocky or overconfident especially if some of these schools haven't even decided if they want to review your file any further? I wouldn't want to give the ACOM the slighest reason to question my application. Just something to think about. :rolleyes: </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah yeah I know... I'm e-mailing him again. My pre-med advisor is a great guy, but he doesn't know ANYTHING about medical school admissions. He's been so nice to do everything I've asked of him... including writing a composite letter, which he says he would only do for me. So basically I'm trying not to to be a pain in the arse... but now I'm really scared.

I'm just going to ask him to mail them all in on August 1. If I submit my AMCAS on June 12, I'm thinking I'll have all (or most) of the secondaries I'm going to get by then.

AAMC has a list of all the Medical School's Admissions offices addresses.

8. soren77

soren77 Member
    7+ Year Member

i just wanted to add my two cents. i just finished the application process this past year and my pre-med advisor sent our my LOR's in mid-July. i applied to twenty three schools and only umich indicated that they wanted LOR's only when requested. i really don't think it matters when your recommendations get sent. i actually think it helped that my recs were sent so early because schools started a file for me early. it's a problem when your pre-med office is bogged down and send your recs late...then your whole process gets delayed. sometimes your recs get lost in the mail (supposedly) and you have to resend them.

9. relatively prime

7+ Year Member

Geez... now I really don't know what to do... :confused:

10. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    just send your LORs. the schools will keep them on file until later on. its a timesaver. there are only a handful of schools that want LORs at a specific time or not at all. most of these being in the michigan area (those damn michigonians?) anyway, you are safe with sending out your LORs to id guess about 90% of schools. so just do it if they are ready. gluck.

11. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

You can always call schools to confirm that they have your LORs on file. Some schools won't tell you when you call, but they should contact you if your app is not complete because they decided to "toss" your LORs. I happen to think that the whole "tossing" thing is just a bluff anyways.

12. relatively prime

7+ Year Member

Thank you so much everyone! I'm just going to have them all sent out on July 25... I figure that's early enough not to hold anything back... and late enough that I should have most my secondaries just in case.
    Thanks again :)

13. Assassin

Assassin Assassin
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by UCNate:
    <strong>Most of the schools I heard from won't even look at them until your file is complete. And if they haven't sent you a secondary (which is their way of requesting your LOR's), they WILL toss them.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that is not correct at all...i've requested plenty of recommendations to be sent to the schools (before my secondaries got there) and have not had a single problem because of it :)