Strange question but has anyone here ever taught for TPR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheShaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview with TPR for an MCAT instructor position soon and I have to take a qualifying exam. Has anyone ever had to do this? How hard is it and how did you study?

I saw from some past threads that they take some of the hardest free standing problems from the MCAT and put it on there...

Do I actually have to...*shudders*...reopen my MCAT books? :scared: I'm a year removed from that test so I don't think I have it in me to answer difficult MCAT questions anymore...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's compensation like for that? Any cutoff mcat score?

Yes, the test is difficult. You'll have far more than enough time, but the vast majority of questions are just as hard as the toughest freestanding questions (all multiple choice). You can't miss very many either, so yes, I would study and make sure you remember how to do the more complicated calculations.

What's compensation like for that? Any cutoff mcat score?

I think it's a fair amount of pay but I don't really know that much about it yet. I think they ask for at least 90th percentile so 33+.

Yes, the test is difficult. You'll have far more than enough time, but the vast majority of questions are just as hard as the toughest freestanding questions (all multiple choice). You can't miss very many either, so yes, I would study and make sure you remember how to do the more complicated calculations.

Oh dear god then I'm screwed. :( Did you have to rememorize all the formulas? I don't know if I can review the whole genchem section in a day...

They don't give you any formulas. And I believe they want either an 11 or 12 in the subject you want to tutor, I forget which. However, they will still hire you even if you haven't taken the MCAT at all-- you just have to pass the written test and impress them at the interview (and it helps to have prior teaching experience).

You can totally do it. If you really want to teach gchem, you're probably very good at it. Just review the parts that you don't remember. I reviewed the whole book in about 4 hours and was fine.

From what I remember you need an 88 or 90% to pass the test so you can only get a couple of questions incorrect. Also they asked me to pick a topic and "teach" it to them like I would a class. The pay when I did it a few years ago was 25 an hour teaching and 10 an hour for prep time but I think the prep time was limited to 5 hours a week? even though your first time teaching the course will take much longer to prepare for it.

Training is usually a full weekend at 10 dollars an hour.