strange reaction.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the cannizaro reaction? We had to do one in lab, only we never covered the reaction in lecture, and it's not in the textbook, and lucky me, i get to write a discussion on it without knowing anything about it.

all i know is i had a (please don't laugh at my pathetic attempts of nomenclature) chlorobenzoaldehyde? chlorobenzene carboxylic acid? it's CH=O with a chlorobenzene group attached to the C. and it underwent a cannizaro reaction and i got 2 products. i have to say what the two products are, but i do not know a thing about this cannizaro reaction, unless it's a regular reaction that just has a fancy name.

Members don't see this ad.

Disproportionation of aromatic aldehydes into aromatic acids and aromatic alcohols.

The speed of the reaction depends on the substituents in the aromatic ring.

2 ArCHO ----> (in the presence of KOH, ethanol, and 50C) ArCOOH + ArCH2OH

what is Ar? i'm sorry if that's a stupid question, but i'm really lost with tis thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ar is an Aromatic ring i.e. Benzene

enjoy your rxn

i've got it! thanks jlee, thanks farley. you guys are too smart. i am simply not worthy.

Man. How the heck do people still remember this stuff? I forgot my reactions they day after I took my final.

You can also look up this stuff on yahoo and try to get lecture notes on it. When I have a hard time learning something, I will search for it on yahoo and try to get other lecture notes on the topic.

Originally posted by cather
You can also look up this stuff on yahoo and try to get lecture notes on it. When I have a hard time learning something, I will search for it on yahoo and try to get other lecture notes on the topic.

i tried that, but all got was syllabi from different schools, nothing really useful.

Originally posted by leavesam
Man. How the heck do people still remember this stuff? I forgot my reactions they day after I took my final.

we just really love ochem and sleep with our notes :D