Strange story about Teacher's College - University of Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycho-logy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me know if you know what's happening here - I have no clue...

I applied to the clinical psychology program at TC in the fall and hoped for an interview invite; however, when I started to see posts on SDN in early February saying that people had been invited to the interview day, I began to wait for a rejection letter from TC. It did not come throughout February, and in early March I accepted an offer from Northwestern-Evantson and subsequently notified the other schools I applied to that I was withdrawing from consideration. I notified TC on March 6. In early April, I was not surprised that I hadn't heard anything else from TC; I assumed they just took me off the list of rejections to send out since I withdrew. But on April 4, I started receiving strange e-mails. At 9AM, I received an e-mail from TC containing only a PIN number for enrollment purposes - but the e-mail said it was from 11AM (and I'm in the same time zone as TC, so it wasn't just a Mountain time confusion). The next day, at 9 AM, I received another e-mail from TC (also from 11AM) directing me to their admitted students website. Although strange, I still thought I just got these e-mails by mistake. Then, last Friday, I received a letter in the mail addressed on April 11 offering me admission to TC! This after no communication from ANYONE at the school since the time my application was acknowledged as complete. So, to repeat, I have no clue what happened here....

Members don't see this ad.

I'd give them a call...

I was accepted to a program I didn't interview at (I was on the waitlist)

That's probably what happened with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
psycho-logy,

i am so happy to hear that someone else is having the same experience as me haha.. i received the same letters/emails and finally, after receiving the april 11th letter today, i emailed the [email protected] address to tell them that i had already accepted another offer. i'm not sure if maybe we were accepted to their master's program instead? it's all very confusing to me, but if i get an answer back from them i will let you know!

Whoa! This happened to my co-worker re: their counseling psych program. No interview. A couple of weeks ago, she got an e-mail instructing students to "pay their tuition by clicking *here*." She was like, what!? And promptly called & accepted the offer. Bizarre...
Congrats on Northwestern- that's amazing!

It may be the MA program. I've heard that they often offer consolation MAs to people that don't get into the Ph.D. program. But regardless of what's up with that, you're probably better off at Northwestern. It's a waaaaaaaaay better program than Columbia.

It is def the Masters program. TC-Columbia made 10 admission offers this year for the clinical psych PhD and all of those students accepted. Nobody turned them down this year.

And they aren't very on top of things with the Masters program.

TC has the most unorganized administration i've ever encountered, and there is SO much redtape everywhere.

I received the same e-mail, and I was told by one of their professors that "our masters program is quite large." it's a one year MA, mainly for making money from the students' tuitions.

I don't think I've been getting these emails (if I have, they've made it to the spam folder?), but I was admitted to their MA. It IS a pretty huge program.

I got the same acceptance into their M.A. program (the e-mail and acceptance package) after applying to their clinical Ph.D. After reading some bad things about it on the forums I talked it over with one of the schools I interviewed with but did not have a spot for me. He told me that it is a great program and is definitely a good step to take as a way to boost your CV.

Most of the bad things I have heard of the program is that it won’t get you licensed and it is made just to help pay for the Ph.D students. However, on their websites it states flat out that it is a one year program that is not meant for licensure and is just a stepping stone into getting your Ph.D. I think people go into it expecting to get their final M.A. so they can practice then are mad because that is not what the program is for.

That's interesting that you got that response. My POIs told me not to do it.

I got the same acceptance into their M.A. program (the e-mail and acceptance package) after applying to their clinical Ph.D. After reading some bad things about it on the forums I talked it over with one of the schools I interviewed with but did not have a spot for me. He told me that it is a great program and is definitely a good step to take as a way to boost your CV.

Most of the bad things I have heard of the program is that it won’t get you licensed and it is made just to help pay for the Ph.D students. However, on their websites it states flat out that it is a one year program that is not meant for licensure and is just a stepping stone into getting your Ph.D. I think people go into it expecting to get their final M.A. so they can practice then are mad because that is not what the program is for.

I'm far from an expert on this, but I think that the TC Master's program is particularly helpful for people hoping to go on to apply to NYC-area PhD (and PsyD) programs. For example, at my school (a NYC-area PhD program), there was an applicant who we rejected one year, who was then accepted 2 years later after completing the TC MA program.

I think that the most helpful part is the connections you make while there--you can hook up with faculty members' research projects and then get good letters of rec from them (and possibly publications as well). In addition, many students in TC's program end up doing research at "PI" (New York State Psychiatric Institute), which is extremely well-regarded by admissions committees, at least in NYC. It's a very desirable thing to have on your CV.

Just my sense from a few cases I've observed!

Hi,

I did get my MA from TC last spring, and will be attending a PsyD program at George Washington this fall. I think the Clinical MA program at TC is a very good program for what it is - exactly as someone said, a one-year stepping stone to further research/graduate study. It's not a licensure program (although there is a 2-year Counseling Psych MA that is quite good and leads to licensure), and it's a great way to show doctoral admissions committees that you're committed to the field.

I think TC is going to drive me crazy, today I received an e-mail notifying me that they have received my application to their PHD clinical psychology 2007 Fall, and the admission office will continue to communicate with me by e-mail and postal mail. My goodness, they don't have to tell me once again they've received my application after they have already accepted me to their MA program. So impressive!

i received the same email even though i turned down my acceptance to their MA program last week....very strange.....