• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Strategic leave of absence for research and clinical experience

foregoingfun

2+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello,

Hoping to get some advice regarding taking a leave of absence from my undergraduate institution to pursue a year of clinical research (started freshman year) and continue working/volunteering as an EMT in a free clinic and at a COVID testing lab. I am currently going into my third year and cannot fathom more online learning.

I understand leaves of absence are typically due to health, finances, and other life struggles. My friends and I are concerned about the prospect of our school going back online for the fall. We learned nothing when classes went online in the spring and wonder if a solid year of clinical experience and research would be a safe bet. While we could wait until a final word from the school's administration, we are concerned that it will no longer be an option when God & country apply for a leave. We go to a small LAC on the west coast and are concerned the college will make a statement along the lines of "your return will not be guaranteed should you take a leave of absence for 2020/2021."

I'm curious as to what people think adcoms will think of this year off. I like the idea of being able to help my community, get experience, and continue my research while offsetting my education to ensure I get the quality I want from in-person classes, but perhaps I am being selfish in this thought process. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
  1. Academic Administration
Schools are judged by the number of students who achieve graduation at 5 years so schools will have an incentive to take you back rather than cut you loose if you take a year long leave of absence.

Taking time off is pretty common among applicants who do missionary work for 2 years -- usually at about the point you are in your studies. What you are proposing to do is more related to an career in medicine that missionary work would be so I don't see a downside in taking a year off to get some work experience before returning to the classroom.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.