SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
Ok, I applying to this cycle of 2007, and expecting probably a bunch of waitlists, if not rejections. However, I do know that LOI's are almost standard when vying to get off of waitlists. What are your strategies for writing LOI's? Do you call in to check where you are on those waitlists and if there is a possibility of you being able to be bumped into an acceptance if you were at the top of it with a LOI? What elements do you include in your LOI? Who is it addressed to? Anyone with sample LOI's? Do you send multiple LOI's (defeating the purpose of even writing one I would presume?).

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
braluk said:
Ok, I applying to this cycle of 2007, and expecting probably a bunch of waitlists, if not rejections. However, I do know that LOI's are almost standard when vying to get off of waitlists. What are your strategies for writing LOI's? Do you call in to check where you are on those waitlists and if there is a possibility of you being able to be bumped into an acceptance if you were at the top of it with a LOI? What elements do you include in your LOI? Who is it addressed to? Anyone with sample LOI's? Do you send multiple LOI's (defeating the purpose of even writing one I would presume?).
Below is the template I wrote that I usually post when somebody asks about letters of intent.

Usually, a letter of intent is reserved for when you have been waitlisted, although, I suppose it could be sent sooner. I wouldn't send one pre-interview.

The view on multiple letters of intent is somewhat split on SDN. I am adamantly opposed to sending more than one, I feel it strikes against your credibility. But there's not much more it can do... so I guess it's your decision.

(Address to Dean of Admissions)

Paragraph 1: As you may know, I am currently on the waitlist. I am writing to state in no uncertain terms that it is my intent to attend XYZ medical school. If accepted I will withdraw all outstanding applications to other medical schools and begin the process of enrolling at XYZ medical school.

Paragraph 2: Kiss ass. Tell them why you love the school so much. Give details.

Paragraph 3: Closure. Include details about how you may be contacted since you are on the waitlist. (e-mail, home mailing address, phone, any alternate phone numbers, etc.)

Thank you and I hope to see you in August,

Your name
Your AMCAS ID

^Type and Sign

LauraPaz

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
St. Louis
laurapaz.livejournal.com
Status
Medical Student
braluk said:
I wrote an LOI (well, sort of) to the admissions committees along with a thank-you note to my interview right after I got home from my Wash U interview. In that one I thanked them for a wonderful interview experience (because it really was one of my best) and kind of listed out the reasons why I loved the school, including referencing stuff my interviewer and I talked about. Once I got wait-listed there, I sent in another one in with my "yes, I want to stay on the wait-list" form, again stating why I liked the school. I also included a few things about why I thought I'd do well/contribute to the school, because at this point you're really trying to convince them to like you.

I think about every month I sent something in, keeping them updated on what my summer plans were, and telling them what I was doing during spring semester to further prepare for med school. Also kind of re-iterated things I loved about them. I also have a copy of my final transcript sent. Perhaps I went a little overboard, but the third LOI (not including the thank-you-ish one after my interview) tipped the scale in my favor and I got the call from the Dean the day he received it. Actually, he opened the call with "I wanted to call and thank you for your letter" so obviously something in there worked.

I've still got them saved somewhere I'm pretty sure....PM me if you want any suggestions/samples.