Strategy for biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a biology major and my school doesn't offer a general biology I & II sequence. As a result, I have a weak background in biology: I've only taken zoology, cell bio, and molec bio. (I've contacted some schools and they generally allow waivers since cell bio and molec bio are sufficiently rigorous substitutes.)

Anyway, I know little about most of the biology science topics like microbiology, specialized cell structure/function, the nervous and endocrine systems, etc. Given my weak background, how should I approach biology: try to memorize all of this information through content "review," or focus on passages?

Members don't see this ad.

Any suggestions? Is there any value in trying to cram two plus semesters of biology into my brain?

Take a practice exam and see where you are. That will be the best judge.

Sounds like you have a start for the background.

But you should take a physiology course. But you really need to learn the information before you decide to take a test. If you don't know about hormones, basic exocrine functions, etc, then reading the passage would be the first time you had ever seen the information. That would be disastrous. Just learn what you need to learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
First you need to get content down then review passages.... use TPR..... if you buy the books new you get access to their online content.

I'm not a biology major and my school doesn't offer a general biology I & II sequence. As a result, I have a weak background in biology: I've only taken zoology, cell bio, and molec bio. (I've contacted some schools and they generally allow waivers since cell bio and molec bio are sufficiently rigorous substitutes.)

Anyway, I know little about most of the biology science topics like microbiology, specialized cell structure/function, the nervous and endocrine systems, etc. Given my weak background, how should I approach biology: try to memorize all of this information through content "review," or focus on passages?

This site is great for studying concepts: http://mcat-review.org/biology.php

read through it (it's all organized exactly as the AAMC study guide) - and any areas that don't make sense - do some background reading in addition to this site. Otherwise, use that site for review/light teaching - and then start attacking problems.

Go to some other school's website and see if you can access a taped lecture or podcast of physio. That's what I'm doing (except I'm using my own school's). I'm retaking because I failed the bio part after thinking trying to learn all the material from reading review books would be enough. Barely.
You can teach yourself, it just has to be from the right material.

Go to some other school's website and see if you can access a taped lecture or podcast of physio. That's what I'm doing (except I'm using my own school's). I'm retaking because I failed the bio part after thinking trying to learn all the material from reading review books would be enough. Barely.
You can teach yourself, it just has to be from the right material.

Which materials did you use?

As in, actual books? I started with TBR--don't do that! Seriously, don't. It's boring as heck, and sucks even more if you don't know what it's talking about 80% of the time. And it gives you waaaay more information that you need to and care to know. I then switched to TPR. It's a lot better because it has pictures, bigger writing (I sound like a child, but that really helps), and it's better summarized. On top of that though, for things I had never encountered previously, I looked into lectures or online videos :)

I'm liking MCAT-Review a lot. Seems to really cover all you need to know, in outline form with some great diagrams. Also use Chad's Videos for chemistry and physics. That really should be enough for content review. Seems like most of what the MCAT tests is bare bones and basic. It's more about understanding why and how rather than plain ol' what.

Just my take on it.

I'm liking MCAT-Review a lot. Seems to really cover all you need to know, in outline form with some great diagrams. Also use Chad's Videos for chemistry and physics. That really should be enough for content review. Seems like most of what the MCAT tests is bare bones and basic. It's more about understanding why and how rather than plain ol' what.

Just my take on it.

Agreed. You can know everything about hormones, the circulatory system, the digestive system, the reproductive system, etc., but the chances of you actually running into these questions are very slim. Most questions are based on the passage.