Strategy for last 2 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banister

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am taking the Sept 12th test and am not really sure what I should do next. I started studying 2.5 weeks ago pretty much exclusively with EK and finished content review about a week ago. I have done all the lecture questions and 2/3 of the 30 min lecture quizzes. I also got EK 101 Verbal and only did the first test.

To see how I was progressing, I took AAMC 4R today and got 10-PS 10-V and 13-BS. I am pretty happy with the V and BS, but absolutely know I can get 3 more points in PS (I'm an engineer). Now with the limited time I have left, I am wondering which tests I should take? I am planning to take the free AAMC 3 next to see how I do with the shorter format, but after that, which ones should I take? I have AAMC 3R-8R as well as a couple TPR and the one that comes with EK. Should I stick exclusively on the AAMCs, or is it worth doing the ones from the other companies?

Members don't see this ad.

To improve on your physical sciences with 2 weeks left: allot 2 hours a day for 4 days to go over four of your weakest topics. You can probably easily determine them from your last PS test results. Review the content, then do practice problems -- at least 5 passages, at 8 minutes each. (Don't have to time yourself) With that, you should be able to nail the content into your brain because, honestly, how many different ways can they ask you how to calculate the pH of a weak acid? PS is entirely learn-able and YES YOU CAN do it.

During the days before the test, take an AAMC every other day simulating exam conditions (highlighting, maybe do the writing once or twice, focus on timing, snacks, lunch, caffeine, bathroom, etc) and go over it after. 10+ means you're getting most of the questions right already! Just hone your weakest topics, practice your timing and keep your nerves calm! Best of luck.

To improve on your physical sciences with 2 weeks left: allot 2 hours a day for 4 days to go over four of your weakest topics. You can probably easily determine them from your last PS test results. Review the content, then do practice problems -- at least 5 passages, at 8 minutes each. (Don't have to time yourself) With that, you should be able to nail the content into your brain because, honestly, how many different ways can they ask you how to calculate the pH of a weak acid? PS is entirely learn-able and YES YOU CAN do it.

During the days before the test, take an AAMC every other day simulating exam conditions (highlighting, maybe do the writing once or twice, focus on timing, snacks, lunch, caffeine, bathroom, etc) and go over it after. 10+ means you're getting most of the questions right already! Just hone your weakest topics, practice your timing and keep your nerves calm! Best of luck.

Sounds like good advice! I'm stuck at an 8 in PS and I'm going to try an extended version of your advice. Thanks!

Hmm, are the paper "R" (like in 4R, 5R, etc.) AMMC tests ok for practicing, or should I get some CBT versions of it? I am planning to get CBT 9 and 10, but for now, is it ok using the older ones?

I think the "R" might be the shortened CBT version. Or it could be the version for pirates.

I'd definitely recommend taking the test on your computer as a CBT. Just being comfortable with the format (knowing where the timer is, knowing how to highlight, striking out wrong choices) will help. 8, 9 and 10 are great, and are the most recent. I found 5 and 6 worthwhile too. 3, of course, is free. See if you can ask a buddy who took a course to let you have a look ;)