streamline medical education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It appears we still use an old archaic version of medical education that hasn't really been changed over the years.

Why not make medical school 3 years instead of 4? 4th year is a waste of time for the most part.

We should have our MD's by the end of 3rd year and our 4th year of medical education should be the start of our internships. The internship should be either in medicine, surgery, or a transitional year. During your internship there should be a 3-4 week period where all medicine (or medicine type specialties like FM, Peds, neuro) will hold interviews for residency. Then another 3-4 week period for surgical specialties. Similarly there would be a 3-4 week interview period for those interns doing TY's who want specialties like radiology, optho etc.

It really makes sense to have 3 years of school so we have one year less of tuition to pay. Also we start making a salary earlier as well, and we save 1 full year in terms of medical training.

Members don't see this ad.

It appears we still use an old archaic version of medical education that hasn't really been changed over the years.

Why not make medical school 3 years instead of 4? 4th year is a waste of time for the most part.

We should have our MD's by the end of 3rd year and our 4th year of medical education should be the start of our internships. The internship should be either in medicine, surgery, or a transitional year. During your internship there should be a 3-4 week period where all medicine (or medicine type specialties like FM, Peds, neuro) will hold interviews for residency. Then another 3-4 week period for surgical specialties. Similarly there would be a 3-4 week interview period for those interns doing TY's who want specialties like radiology, optho etc.

It really makes sense to have 3 years of school so we have one year less of tuition to pay. Also we start making a salary earlier as well, and we save 1 full year in terms of medical training.

Sounds good to me. My school has 1.75 years of preclinicals, 9 weeks for boards, 1 year of required rotations, and over 1 year of electives/research/vacation months.

No reason why you couldn't condense preclinicals to a year and a half (including boards time), 1 year of rquired rotations, and half a year of electives and aways.

The real solution is to get the government out of medical education and allow the market to determine the ideal training regimen.

I think 1.5 year of preclinical is a sound plan. Aren't some schools moving to that anyway?

And considering 4th year is mostly elective based, I think that would be an ideal way to do a transitional year internship.