strength and weakness of step up and FA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optiplex

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey ppl:

what do you think are the strong sections in step up and FA for step1? I heard that FA is strong for pharm and micro. Also for step up, I heard Neuro is covered very well. any input?

optiplex

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that the strong point of FA is its format and mneumonics. It covers a lot of high-yield stuff in a concise manner. However, this conciseness can be challenging to take full advantage of because a lot of the material is out of context. Step-up puts the info into more context but is not easy to recall as the info in FA. In other words, it seems to me that FA is good for those straight forward questions while Step-up is better for questions that require more thought and covers pathohology and embryo a lot better.

I think it is good to study them both for a good review.

I agree with solace... I just don't think FA is very good for pharm. If you want to really put the smack down, go through Pharm made Ridiculously Simple (I know time is tight). Do it then follow up with FA for reinforcement. Step up is cool for most topics but is very weak when it comes to pharm...lMO.
ATnS Pharm.D., MSII

i have to disagree with the previous poster.

First Aid is all i'm using for boards. been annotating it all semester with the actual course. if it can get me past me class final with ease then there is nothing to worry about.

many 3rd years at our school recommend first aid for micro and pharm as sole source.

they've had no problems.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that anatomy in FA is sufficient, but I'm not sure what the others here (esp. the Step I veterans) have to say to that.