strength of acid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allstardentist

All-Star
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
we know that HI is stronger than HBr or HCl
but how come H3PO4 is stronger than H3AsO4?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
just learn your list of strong acids...I dont think you can tell by looking at the molecule or relating electronegativity, but rather having an idea of the pKa values of some of them.

Yes you can.. these are oxyacids, and have different qualities than regular acids which i may or may not post after i eat this delicious pizza :) .

from my ochem class i learned that i need to look at the conjugate base to determine the strength of acid. Whichever forms the weakest conjugate base is the strongest acid.

Generally, the more electronegative the atom attached to H atom is, the stronger the acidity of molecule will turn out to be, where removal of the proton, H+, is enhanced by unevenly shared electron pair on the bond. In the case of oxyacid, HClO4, the increase of formal charge and oxidation number on the central atom, Cl, promotes even greater electron withdrawing from hydrogen atom via one of the other four oxygen atoms; making it comparatively the greatest in acidity strength.

Not directly related but something similar

For elements in the same group, you compare their bone length. For example: HI is stronger than HCl because I is less electronegative than Cl; therefore its bond with H is longer and weaker.
For element in the same row, you look at their electronegative , the one has the highest electronegative is the strongest acid.
Also, you can look at their resonance and inductive effect

For elements in the same group, you compare their bone length. For example: HI is stronger than HCl because I is less electronegative than Cl; therefore its bond with H is longer and weaker.
For element in the same row, you look at their electronegative , the one has the highest electronegative is the strongest acid.
Also, you can look at their resonance and inductive effect

BUT for oxyacids, the stronger acids have a more electronegative central atom even for elements in the same group. If the central atom is the same, then you look at the number of oxygens attached to the central atom. Thus, H3PO4> H3AsPO4.