strength of residency and salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E.A. Poe

the man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is something that I've been wondering about a lot lately. What is the correlation with strength of residency program with the salary that you make when you're done. When looking at starting salary ranges for different specialties, well, it is always a range. What gets you into the top tiers? If you start at the 50% or below, do you jump right up after 3-5 years?

Members don't see this ad.

E.A. Poe said:
This is something that I've been wondering about a lot lately. What is the correlation with strength of residency program with the salary that you make when you're done. When looking at starting salary ranges for different specialties, well, it is always a range. What gets you into the top tiers? If you start at the 50% or below, do you jump right up after 3-5 years?
I have not seen that there is such a correlation.It may be that a graduates of very marginal programs have questionable qualifications and problems getting good jobs. For the vast majority of individuals their income will be related to personality,productivity,motivation,geography and many other variables.While finishing up a residency at at truly top notch program will help you land a plum position,this is not generally how salaries are determined.

right. also graduates of "top" academic residencies are more likely to head toward academics and may be less business-savvy.

and remember, medicare doesn't adjust reimburements based on pedigree.