Strength of undergraduate educations...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

hon abe lin

I'm at UVM now and my GPA is strong... 4.0 in Biology, Chem, and Calculus; 3.9 overall. To what degree do med schools consider the strength of undergraduate education? Will my GPA, if I finnish where I've started, be "discounted" coming from UVM and not an ivy or school with a stronger reputation? And, to what degree can the MCAT dispell any question of merrit?

Members don't see this ad.

hon abe lin said:
And, to what degree can the MCAT dispell any question of merrit?

Not knowing how to spell might hurt.

hon abe lin said:
I'm at UVM now and my GPA is strong... 4.0 in Biology, Chem, and Calculus; 3.9 overall. To what degree do med schools consider the strength of undergraduate education? Will my GPA, if I finnish where I've started, be "discounted" coming from UVM and not an ivy or school with a stronger reputation? And, to what degree can the MCAT dispell any question of merrit?

I doubt it matters much. As long as you have a solid MCAT and a high GPA, you'll be fine. Don't worry about it and kick ass on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's UVM?

UVM is fine; I wouldn't worry too much about strength of school in your case. GPA and MCAT are the overwhelming factors.

It is without-a-doubt, beneficial to come from a well known undergrad institution. I know that my undergrad school is hurting my application. If you school has a bi-directional name, you are in trouble.

sdnstud said:
what's UVM?

The University of Vermont. Not to be blunt but it's a very crunchy/granola place.

If someone had the same GPA, MCAT, ECs as you and came from a top tier school, they'd get your spot.

JDAD said:
It is without-a-doubt, beneficial to come from a well known undergrad institution. I know that my undergrad school is hurting my application. If you school has a bi-directional name, you are in trouble.

Man, yeah, because "Northwestern" sucks. :laugh:

I had an admissions director tell me that your undergrad institution is not that significant in the process. If your MCAT is low, then they'll question your high GPA, but if you have a 3.9 and a 35, then you have little to fear.