strengths of UNLV? how is UNLV different from others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ranbow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I got an interview form UNLV on Feb 11th. anybody knows what are the strength and weakness of UNLV?

PLease help me

Thanks mona

Members don't see this ad.

- Brand new, top notch facilities
- no shortage of chairs
- everything is digitized --> no paper EVER
- Amazing faculty from around the country, incredibly friendly and excited to work with students
- HUGE PATIENT POOL. i think they saw over 120,000 patients in 2009.
- exposure to a ton of procedures that students in other parts of the country have to refer out to the on-site specialty programs. for example, i know for a fact that d4's get to do some pretty cool surgical extractions and aveolectomies
- great research opportunities if one feels so inclined
- you are in clinic from year 1

- no cadaver lab --> a good or bad thing depending on who you ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow those are some prettttty amazing attributes. I had heard about clinical procedures that they let you do which other schools do not but thanks a lot for the details. This is making me even more excited for my interview. I have friends going there for other majors n pharm and they definitely love it.

wow those are some prettttty amazing attributes. I had heard about clinical procedures that they let you do which other schools do not but thanks a lot for the details. This is making me even more excited for my interview. I have friends going there for other majors n pharm and they definitely love it.

well the pharm program is not actually part of the "university of nevada" system (state-owned, state-funded). It's part of the "University of Southern Nevada" system (which is a private, non-profit institution). just a clarification :)

apparently, people really like the idea of going to professional school in las vegas :D

I keep hearing UNLV will give you the opportunities to do procedures not possible at schools with specialty but can someone be more specific. I keep hearing they have excellent oral surgery experience as hajibandeh have mentioned but I don't hear anything special besides that. In fact, I sorta question the school's clinic experience because they don't allow or rarely allow students to do molar endo and Rotary, which I think is something important when you enter the job market as an associate. I frequently notice molar endo& surgical EXT as job requirement on craigslist.

Btw, here's the direct quote from UNLV SDMthat depicts how rare molar endo experience is at UNLV.

"RCT was scheduled as the first molar to be treated by a student at UNLV SDM in over 2 years."
http://dentalschool.unlv.edu/pdf/newsletter/jan2009.pdf

Last edited:
Also, UNLV makes you learn Spanish, which I think is a great idea for any health professional to learn. And every other house is in foreclosure so you can get a nice house for like $80k. You also get all of your books on a disc and a shiny new laptop that is serviced for free on campus. And you can actually park at the school and walk right up to it, unlike some of the big city schools and ones located directly on huge campuses. And last but not least, there is a Carls Jr. across the street that gives student discounts

Another con, besides no cadaver lab, is that there isn't a library, unless you head over to the main campus. And you may wake up hungover and married (pro or con, depending on who you marry) with a baby in the closet and tiger in the bathroom.

Also, UNLV makes you learn Spanish, which I think is a great idea for any health professional to learn. And every other house is in foreclosure so you can get a nice house for like $80k. You also get all of your books on a disc and a shiny new laptop that is serviced for free on campus. And you can actually park at the school and walk right up to it, unlike some of the big city schools and ones located directly on huge campuses. And last but not least, there is a Carls Jr. across the street that gives student discounts

Another con, besides no cadaver lab, is that there isn't a library, unless you head over to the main campus. And you may wake up hungover and married (pro or con, depending on who you marry) with a baby in the closet and tiger in the bathroom.

And your lateral incisor might be gone:laugh:

which may be worth it if your valet brings out a cop car and you get to meet mike tyson :D

it sounds like a smart move for gps. on the other hand how well do students match into post-doc programs from unlv?

thank you everyone. all the quotes are very helpful and some are funny too lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question. Does UNLV show up on your AADSAS under "School Decisions" because I have nothing. I interviewed on Jan 14th and they said they're gonna have a meeting most likely today. They said they will update AADSAS and send snail mail for acceptances, but they will make no phone call. I don't want to keep bugging them by calling and would rather know by AADSAS so can anyone let me know?

I like the spanish learning part a lot. I think it is definitely imp. when you say "you get a shiny new laptop" umm is it free lol? or additional cost?

Parking definitely sounds great --- especially coming from ucla where even though you could pay you probably wouldn't be able to get the school permit.

I had a question about being in the clinic the very first yr. Umm is it like after a semester or so or right away?

I like the spanish learning part a lot. I think it is definitely imp. when you say "you get a shiny new laptop" umm is it free lol? or additional cost?

Parking definitely sounds great --- especially coming from ucla where even though you could pay you probably wouldn't be able to get the school permit.

I had a question about being in the clinic the very first yr. Umm is it like after a semester or so or right away?

The Dell laptop is an additional cost of $2000-2500 so definitely not free.

You start clinic Fall semester of your first year. It is once a week on a Friday afternoon according to the student schedule they gave us on interview day. I remember Dr. Kingsley telling us that you start off with learning Spanish and taking patient history, doing prophy/scaling on each other, assisting upperclassmen, and etc.

Random question. Does UNLV show up on your AADSAS under "School Decisions" because I have nothing. I interviewed on Jan 14th and they said they're gonna have a meeting most likely today. They said they will update AADSAS and send snail mail for acceptances, but they will make no phone call. I don't want to keep bugging them by calling and would rather know by AADSAS so can anyone let me know?

yes UNLV uses AADSAS and they update it frequently.

The Dell laptop is an additional cost of $2000-2500 so definitely not free.

You start clinic Fall semester of your first year. It is once a week on a Friday afternoon according to the student schedule they gave us on interview day. I remember Dr. Kingsley telling us that you start off with learning Spanish and taking patient history, doing prophy/scaling on each other, assisting upperclassmen, and etc.

That sounds very interesting

Hi Mona

I got accepted to both UNLV and USC. I think u got interview for both, congrats...I mighr be able to answer some of ur questions

my friend told me when he got accepted on dec 1st that he only received a status update on AADSAS that said "offer made". No phone call. and not sure if he received snail mail or not, forgot to ask LOL.

my friend told me when he got accepted on dec 1st that he only received a status update on AADSAS that said "offer made". No phone call. and not sure if he received snail mail or not, forgot to ask LOL.

Yeah, they update AADSAS to "offer made" and then a few days later you get a big packet in the mail. No phone call but if you call, they will tell you.

where do most students study? are there study spaces at the d-school?