Stress and Gap Years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CollegeGirl94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wasn't the best student freshman year. I realize that's okay, but can I even work to fix my mess ups?

Things that worry me...

I need to take Organic Chemistry in the summer. Therefore, I will not be studying for the MCAT until after for about 4 weeks.

I just started getting into my EC's with commitment and regularity. I want to continue doing them a lot, if not more.

Junior year I need to take lots of upper division Biology/Chemistry to finish up my degree and then do concentration senior year.

As you can see, I don't know if being strong in my EC's, studying during junior year for the MCAT, and good grades will all be able be accomplished.

I don't want to wait until senior year or do a post-bac, that puts me one-two years behind, but should I? A weak app is not better than a postponed strong app.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Breathe.

One step at a time. Focus on doing well in what you can, and see where you're at when junior year is underway. The road to a medical career is long enough as is, no point in trying to sprint a marathon.

A 'post-poned' stronger app is way better than an 'on-time' weaker app. If you need to take a gap year to improve your GPA and EC's, then do it. 1-2 years won't make a difference in the long-run, and I have yet to meet someone who regrets taking time off before med school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A 'post-poned' stronger app is way better than an 'on-time' weaker app. If you need to take a gap year to improve your GPA and EC's, then do it. 1-2 years won't make a difference in the long-run, and I have yet to meet someone who regrets taking time off before med school.
I wholeheartedly agree. That extra year (senior) gives you the chance to boost your GPA, ECs, do a research project, gain more experience, learn more about yourself and others and finish your degree. Many people with great stats take a gap year. If you do well, all it does is improve your chances. That year following graduation is all yours and your don't have too do something to woo adcoms because you have already applied. Get a job, travel, teach, whatever.

Wish my mom understood that taking a crack at it next year won't benefit me... :/

It's definitely something I want to do, but I'm confused. I apply end of senior year and then wait for interviews even though that means not applying for a postbac (something I want to do in a second gap year, if necessary)?

If you don't mind what are your stats? Don't rush it--better off doing entering the cycle when you're ready.

It's definitely something I want to do, but I'm confused. I apply end of senior year and then wait for interviews even though that means not applying for a postbac (something I want to do in a second gap year, if necessary)?
Right, if you are taking a gap year, you would apply at the end of your senior year, and attend interviews during your time off. So what you do during you gap year won't show up in you application. You can put what you plan to be doing, and send update letters to the schools youre applying at in some cases (e.g., a publication after you submitted your application). You would apply to the postbac (or masters, etc) while still in school. If you wanted to have the stuff you do during you gap year to tangibly appear on your app, you would need to take an additional gap year.

I'm not sure if this was exactly what you were asking or not. Also as said immediately above, stats (though not compulsory) could provide some context in what is best for you, personally.

Don't worry about what you mom thinks. She'll love you no matter what. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Right, if you are taking a gap year, you would apply at the end of your senior year, and attend interviews during your time off. So what you do during you gap year won't show up in you application. You can put what you plan to be doing, and send update letters to the schools youre applying at in some cases (e.g., a publication after you submitted your application). You would apply to the postbac (or masters, etc) while still in school. If you wanted to have the stuff you do during you gap year to tangibly appear on your app, you would need to take an additional gap year.

I'm not sure if this was exactly what you were asking or not. Also as said immediately above, stats (though not compulsory) could provide some context in what is best for you, personally.

Right, I want to do a post-bac, but won't know if I won't get into any medical schools or not by the deadlines.