Stress Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SupernovaNights

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Face it, anyone whose had to go to several interviews in life has faced these. You know, where you sit down, and the interviewer(s) bombard you with questions about your personal life, bordering on harassment. Of course, the purpose is to see how well you respond to stress... they'll give you impossible to solve problems, questions that are designed to get a rise out of you, and all of that fun business...

So here's my question.. What's the coolest way you've ever heard a stress interview dealt with (or that you've personally dealt with a stress interview)?

Members don't see this ad.

Who still does these? I haven't had one in five med school interviews or dozens of job interviews over the years. They're a throwback to business logic from over 20 years ago. I didn't think they were still used anywhere.

yeah, of my 4 interviews (1 at a top 10 school), none of them were stressful at all.

but, my strategy would be to add some humor in there...and if the interviewer still didn't laugh, i would laugh myself, keep my cool, and show that i am not easily intimidated.....

Members don't see this ad :)
The only stress med school interview I've heard of is the Harvard HST program (you get grilled by a panel). All of my 8 interviews were mainly about selling the schools/making sure the students were sociable and not insane.

Who still does these? I haven't had one in five med school interviews or dozens of job interviews over the years. They're a throwback to business logic from over 20 years ago. I didn't think they were still used anywhere.

They are definitely still used. A poster came back from a school interview, I don't remember which school, and complained about it just a week or two ago. They're still used in job interviews too in some places, and my gifted high school used them to get a rise out of prospective students (heck, I was even part of a stress interview panel).

They are definitely still used. A poster came back from a school interview, I don't remember which school, and complained about it just a week or two ago. They're still used in job interviews too in some places, and my gifted high school used them to get a rise out of prospective students (heck, I was even part of a stress interview panel).
Huh. Well, I wouldn't worry about it. If you look on the Interview Feedback page, you'll find that almost no medical schools really use it.

The only stress med school interview I've heard of is the Harvard HST program (you get grilled by a panel). All of my 8 interviews were mainly about selling the schools/making sure the students were sociable and not insane.

Aw heck, for serious?

That's my dream program! Does anyone have advice for stress interviews?

Lots of my classmates and my boyfriend have gone through a bunch of these. They're all in finance and consulting however. Any extremely stressful competitive field will have at least a couple interviewers that are proponents of this type of interview. You may encounter this though I'd say it's unlikely. The best way I've heard it being dealt with is from this kid in my major. He smiled and grinned and joked the entire way through and actually got a rise out of the interviewer for it! LoL she was just trying so hard and nothing worked! He was amused and later was offered the job and received many compliments lol. Don't overdo it though, it may backfire!