Stress levels and bad studying methods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I know there are a lot if threads dedicated to efficient studying tips however I feel like I needed to make a new one to address my situation

I am a senior who is climbing his way up (gpa wise) I messed up in 3 pre reqs getting C s in all, deciding to continue on this path I basically " locked"myself in my room for the next two semesters what I mean is I cut myself from everyone to prove to myself I can achieve the grades which I did, I got a 4.0 the whole last year

However now I'm in my fall semester taking Ochem and physics B and I don't know how else to study other than isolate myself from the world ( which I ve been doing so far)

however I am uneasy with this method of studying as I feel as though its not efficient.
Can I have some good study tips? I am just really scared to not isolate myself if I get a bad grade ill feel like ill be responsible

Can someone please share some insight? I am always fearful and anxious because of my gpa

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ugh, first of all use paragraphs better so I dont have to hurt my eyes reading a wall of text...

Second of all, the best way to study in my opinion is to first get all the information you are required to know in a concise area that you can review in shorter amounts of time. The act of condensing the material helps you learn it and it makes it easier to study later.

For memorization repetition is key.

For computational based classes practice problems are key.

Ugh, first of all use paragraphs better so I dont have to hurt my eyes reading a wall of text...

Second of all, the best way to study in my opinion is to first get all the information you are required to know in a concise area that you can review in shorter amounts of time. The act of condensing the material helps you learn it and it makes it easier to study later.

For memorization repetition is key.

For computational based classes practice problems are key.

Fixed it

I just feel like there is always more to do
I don't cram I start from Day 1 every single day
It's depressing to study so much
And I am still fearful for my grade

Members don't see this ad :)
I've found it helpful to study around other people.

1. Ideally, I like to study at or near the same table with a few people I know, each of us doing our own work, and not really talking much. It's just nice to have someone there for occasional comments, once and a while taking a break together, asking about each other's day, etc.

2. When I'm not so fortunate as to have friends around, I will sometimes head to the coffee shop. And guess what, now I know many of the regulars at several coffee shops around here. They understand that I'm busy, so we usually have quick conversations and I still get plenty of work done.

3. Very worst case scenario, I will lock myself in a room to study or take a long practice test. Then on breaks I will call people, email people, chat, go to online forums, etc. While studying MCAT, I made a point to leave the house at least once a day, even if only for trip to the store. And I would do one special thing for myself every day for an hour, and only an hour.

Hope you've found this helpful.

I've found it helpful to study around other people.

1. Ideally, I like to study at or near the same table with a few people I know, each of us doing our own work, and not really talking much. It's just nice to have someone there for occasional comments, once and a while taking a break together, asking about each other's day, etc.

2. When I'm not so fortunate as to have friends around, I will sometimes head to the coffee shop. And guess what, now I know many of the regulars at several coffee shops around here. They understand that I'm busy, so we usually have quick conversations and I still get plenty of work done.

3. Very worst case scenario, I will lock myself in a room to study or take a long practice test. Then on breaks I will call people, email people, chat, go to online forums, etc.

Hope you've found this helpful.

How often do you study?
I study everyday as soon as I get back
From school, every Friday Saturday and Sunday from morning to night
Only breaks are bathroom breaks and dinner

In regards to studying for the class, I have had good results from going to lecture, taking detailed notes, reading the relevant chapter in the book, then composing both sources into one set of notes that you can read easily, but not so easily that you drift off after the first paragraph. This process takes me about an hour outside of class, in order to reinforce this information I watch YouTube tutorials, chat with upperclassmen who have taken the class. In the end I focus on exposure, because when you make it a part of your daily life then it becomes a lot less stressful; however, if you keep having even a slightly negative connotation toward studying, then I think you will eventually run into a road block.

As far as learning the actual subject, I think Dr. Ben Carson said it best, "Books are for reading". Meaning that if you want to gain knowledge, you must read and use all the resources you can find.

How often do you study?
I study everyday as soon as I get back
From school, every Friday Saturday and Sunday from morning to night
Only breaks are bathroom breaks and dinner

It varies. Typical behavior:

1. If I'm behind, I lock myself in a room every single day (option 3 above). I make few exceptions and weigh them carefully. I may or may not go to church and the gym, but won't hang out afterwards.

2. If I'm barely caught up and work is pouring in, I will put social stuff on hold 6 days a week unless it's of significant importance (ex. weddings, funerals, stuff that's been planned for a long time, etc.), and even then I might limit my social time. I also make exceptions for quick social stuff as mentioned above.

3. If I'm maintaining a busy schedule and not behind, I will not usually hesitate to go out two or three times a week. I will weigh taking additional evenings or days out, against the opportunity to get ahead in work, and any potential of falling behind.

4. If I am ahead by a comfortable margin, I will do whatever, as long as I keep my lead.

I also make a plan. Some time ago I learned the hard way that time "disappears" when I left things off my schedule that needed to get done. These days, I keep a list of everything that needs to get done, and write deadlines or highlight the urgent and/or important stuff. Before committing to optional stuff, I look at my list.

Last edited:
In regards to studying for the class, I have had good results from going to lecture, taking detailed notes, reading the relevant chapter in the book, then composing both sources into one set of notes that you can read easily, but not so easily that you drift off after the first paragraph. This process takes me about an hour outside of class, in order to reinforce this information I watch YouTube tutorials, chat with upperclassmen who have taken the class. In the end I focus on exposure, because when you make it a part of your daily life then it becomes a lot less stressful; however, if you keep having even a slightly negative connotation toward studying, then I think you will eventually run into a road block.

As far as learning the actual subject, I think Dr. Ben Carson said it best, "Books are for reading". Meaning that if you want to gain knowledge, you must read and use all the resources you can find.

Honestly I think this is bad advice for someone who is studying inefficiently. He would better off finding one or two information sources that are high yield for his class, condensing that info and getting to know it very well. That is just my own opinion of course, everybody is different.

Another idea: What do you all think of Chad Videos (sums up physics) and EK (sums up OChem 1) as supplements for OChem and Physics classes?

Honestly I think this is bad advice for someone who is studying inefficiently. He would better off finding one or two information sources that are high yield for his class, condensing that info and getting to know it very well. That is just my own opinion of course, everybody is different.

My anxiousness tends to get to me a lot which causes the fear of doing poorly resulting in isolation from everything in life, only breaks are bathroom, dinner and drive to school and the daily freak out session that I might fail
I feel that I can put my time to better use if I take breaks and be more manageable but I just don't know how to do that without risking my grade

Another idea: What do you all think of Chad Videos (sums up physics) and EK (sums up OChem 1) as supplements for OChem and Physics classes?

Never thought about it
Are they helpful ? Free? I use freelanceteach sometimes

Master the material by using your brain. Amount of effort put into a course doesn't necessarily equate with amount of success.

Critical thinking and ability to analyze is much more preferred than memorizing and regurgitating the material. Yes, even biology should be mastered using thinking rather than memorizing everything without regard to the connections.

Learning how to study efficiently will help you ace your classes without putting in a gargantuan amount of time. Yes, there are classes that will take a lot more time than others, but you will be spending less time. Being a successful premed goes beyond locking yourself in your room 24/7.

Members don't see this ad :)
Master the material. Amount of effort put into a course doesn't necessarily equate with amount of success.

Know the material and master it. Critical thinking and ability to analyze is much better than memorizing and regurgitating the material. Yes, even biology should be mastered using thinking rather than memorizing everything without regard to the connections.

Learning how to study efficiently will help you ace your classes without putting in a gargantuan amount of time. Yes, there are classes that will take a lot more time than others, but you will be spending less time. Being a successful premed goes beyond locking yourself in your room 24/7.

Any tips on how to study Effieciently?
I'm taking physics (electricity) and ochem together this semester
So there s a lot of switching between the two

This is rather subjective, some people can learn a ton by getting in a group and just having a good 45 minute discussion. Others, such as myself, prefer to go home, pull out one of my snakes, and read &/or work practice problems. What are your strengths as far as learning? Focus around those without being a shut in, I still text occasionally while I study... I think it can be somewhat beneficial to practice focusing in, focusing out, then focusing back in to a topic due to the extra effort; however, everything is n=1.

I apologize, I think the organization of my post confused you. Notice how in the first paragraph I suggest a way of learning the CLASS by using lecture and the book as main sources, then supplementing as the OP feels necessary. My second paragraph is my advice for learning the SUBJECT. In order to gain knowledge I believe you must completely immerse yourself in the literature, other media, and applied areas for a good period of time.

This is rather subjective, some people can learn a ton by getting in a group and just having a good 45 minute discussion. Others, such as myself, prefer to go home, pull out one of my snakes, and read &/or work practice problems. What are your strengths as far as learning? Focus around those without being a shut in, I still text occasionally while I study... I think it can be somewhat beneficial to practice focusing in, focusing out, then focusing back in to a topic due to the extra effort; however, everything is n=1.

The thing is I can get a lot done being a hermit , I do learn it's just that I do not see it as a healthy way of living life and I feel as though I'm out for a rude awakening in med school , if I'm studying this hard in undergrad ,, then med schools going to be a killer

Never thought about it
Are they helpful ? Free? I use freelanceteach sometimes

If you know someone who's studying for the MCAT, ask that person if s/he has access to those (EK and Chad Videos). They are not usually free but are very popular MCAT prep materials, and the very best summaries available IMO. You might be able to find EK in a google search too. Sometimes there's a free version online. If you search for Examkrackers Organic Chemistry Pdf, one might come up. Or you can call local bookstores where you might get to look at it before buying it, to make sure you find it helpful. Chad's biology videos are free, but not his physics.

The other idea I have to improve efficiency is to find a tutor with a learning style like your own who thinks s/he can help you with efficiency. Try out a few tutors for one appointment each. Go with the best one.

I apologize, I think the organization of my post confused you. Notice how in the first paragraph I suggest a way of learning the CLASS by using lecture and the book as main sources, then supplementing as the OP feels necessary. My second paragraph is my advice for learning the SUBJECT. In order to gain knowledge I believe you must completely immerse yourself in the literature, other media, and applied areas for a good period of time.

No I understand what you are saying. I realize all the sources are about the same subject, but those different sources take time to use and often aren't high yield. I think OP needs to pick the one source that the professor is taking most of the questions from and focus on that one source. Studying that source in a systematic way is likely to be much more high yield than studying multiple different sources.

No I understand what you are saying. I realize all the sources are about the same subject, but those different sources take time to use and often aren't high yield. I think OP needs to pick the one source that the professor is taking most of the questions from and focus on that one source. Studying that source in a systematic way is likely to be much more high yield than studying multiple different sources.

It's the feeling that one test can determine your life that's freaking me out...
I know another guy, he also studied every single weekend(Friday Saturday and Sunday) from 8am to 4 am(yes I said AM) and everyday after classes
All his grades were bad.
Lets just say he is not in med school.
I don't want to be that guy. If I am going to fail a test, if rather be going out every night than studying my ass off for the same grade

It's the feeling that one test can determine your life that's freaking me out...
I know another guy, he also studied every single weekend(Friday Saturday and Sunday) from 8am to 4 am(yes I said AM) and everyday after classes
All his grades were bad.
I don't want to be that guy. If I am going to fail a test, if rather be going out every night than studying my ass off for the same grade

If you do not want to be that guy, then do not be that guy. The problem with him was not that he studied too much (I have been known to work on one textbook for ~6 hours daily then 2-3 hours on another), he did not commit to studying it well. I am starting to think that what you really need is some stress relief and not necessarily study tips. I had the same issue at one time in high school, to help I would crank out about 30 push ups every time I felt anxiety coming on...I also find drinking flavored coffees to be rather refreshing and mellowing or handling one of my snakes. Once again though n=1.

Maybe you should check with a counselor at your college and get a good perspective from a professional?

Last edited:
If you do not want to be that guy, then do not be that guy. The problem with him was not that he studied too much (I have been known to work on one textbook for ~6 hours daily then 2-3 hours on another), he did not commit to studying it well. I am starting to think that what you really need is some stress relief and not necessarily study tips. I had the same issue at one time in high school, to help I would crank out about 30 push ups every time I felt anxiety coming on...I also find drinking flavored coffees to be rather refreshing and mellowing or handling one of my snakes. Once again though n=1.

Maybe you should check with a counselor at your college and get a good perspective from a professional?

What do you mean by n =1

I have decided to take an hour break after classes to watch tv and 1 hour for dinner daily what do you think about that

What do you mean by n =1

I have decided to take an hour break after classes to watch tv and 1 hour for dinner daily what do you think about that

Yes, of course do that.

Studying every minute of every day will realistically get you nowhere. You're going to burn yourself out physically and mentally and end up where you are now: frustrated and not retaining/learning material.

Taking a break to just do something else, something you enjoy, is beneficial for your learning and health. Watch TV, workout, take a thirty-minute nap. Just do something else for an hour once or twice a day depending on how much you have to accomplish. Then at night, get your 6-8 hours of sleep and give your brain time to consolidate the things you've learned.

EDIT: By n=1, the poster is referring to the fact that this is purely anecdotal and based on personal experience, so the "sample size" is one. You may or may not find the advice useful and/or relevant.

Yes, of course do that.

Studying every minute of every day will realistically get you nowhere. You're going to burn yourself out physically and mentally and end up where you are now: frustrated and not retaining/learning material.

Taking a break to just do something else, something you enjoy, is beneficial for your learning and health. Watch TV, workout, take a thirty-minute nap. Just do something else for an hour once or twice a day depending on how much you have to accomplish. Then at night, get your 6-8 hours of sleep and give your brain time to consolidate the things you've learned.

EDIT: By n=1, the poster is referring to the fact that this is purely anecdotal and based on personal experience, so the "sample size" is one. You may or may not find the advice useful and/or relevant.

Thank you
I think this what I needed to hear

I'm taking physics (electricity) and ochem together this semester
So there s a lot of switching between the two

Physics and Ochem are heavily based on problem solving.

For Physics, make sure you understand the overall picture of what is happening. Do not memorize which formulas to use and what types of problems you will see. Instead, understand what properties the formula represents. When reading the problem, understand all the phenomena that is happening and develop an intuition for how to approach it.

Let's put it this way -- when you can begin reading a problem and have your brain instinctively formulate "plans" for how to attack the problem, THEN you will have mastered the material. What most people do is read the problem, try and figure out what type of problem they've seen before like this, and plug and chug numbers into equations.

For Ochem, it's all about understanding the unequal distribution of electrons. Learn how to push electrons without thinking about it. If I give you a compound, you should be able to immediately visualize the resonance structures.

How do you develop this immediate intuition for Organic Chemistry? Do tons and tons of practice problems. Yes, this course will take a bit more time to master, but the good thing is that if you can master these few techniques in Organic Chemistry, you've basically mastered more than 90% of the course.

Good luck!

he also studied every single weekend(Friday Saturday and Sunday) from 8am to 4 am(yes I said AM) and everyday after classes
All his grades were bad.

Stories like this give me compassion for many people with bad grades.