1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Stress or take extra year to finish undergrad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by latinfridley, Dec 10, 2002.

1. latinfridley

7+ Year Member

What do yall think? Finish undergrad in 4 years, with a heavy courseload + work each remaining semester (really stressful) or take an extra year to spread things out a bit, take 'fun' classes, extra time to volunteer, do research, etc...(much less stressful, less pressure)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Caerulea

Caerulea Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd take an extra and relax. But then again, I'm not in any type of mindset that I have to finish "x number of things" within "y number of years". ;)

Having fabricated deadlines seems meaningless (unless, of course, you don't have the financial means to take extra years to finish something).

Good luck ! :cool:

4. klp14

klp14 Member in Flipflops
    7+ Year Member

My vote is for the extra year too. And it sounds like you pretty much have your mind set anyway. Med schools want to see that you did well (GPA/MCAT/ECs), they don't necessarily care how long it took you.

5. The Chronic MD

The Chronic MD Funky Decknician
    7+ Year Member

I think you should go the more stressful route, pulling out your hair studying for cell bio and anatomy tests the next day, just having left the clinic where you volunteered for 7 hours, on your way to work, eating Raman in the car, realizing that you forgot to complete your physiology lab assignment, being called by your boyfriend/girlfriend who tells you "you're fired!", running out of gas, having to use the restroom...but no time...ahhhhhhhh!

:mad:

C'mon man...Listen to the Chronic. Or shall I say, "Let the Chronic speak for itself." Sit back and relax. Don't you want to be able to go out and enjoy yourself? Take the relaxing route fo sho! But then again, I'm the guy who has taken the relaxing route all of his chronic life!

:cool:

6. osar92

osar92 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I say take another year also. At least that's what I'm planning on doing- at least one extra quarter, maybe two. (BTW Im a senior now, taking MCATs in APril, so I would have the extra year anyways between undergrad and med school)
    This way i can take some more science classes now to boost my science GPA and then worry about finishing up the rest of my econ classes for my major after all my apps are in next year.

7. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

If ya got the money and the time (the former is more important), then stick around.

8. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey,
    Good luck with your decision. I'm in the same place, and I've opted not to take the extra year. However, my reasons for doing so are mainly financial. I have a 4 year scholarship, and when my four years are over that's it. If I had the choice, I'd probably spend the extra year....

9. latinfridley

7+ Year Member

yeah, thanks. ive also got a 4 year scholarship so financing that extra year is an issue.

screw it.... im going for an extra year.:)

10. Raptor

Raptor Found one
    7+ Year Member

take the extra year, you are going to be a doctor for the rest of your life and one year isn't going to make a big deal. Do your thang Latinfridley

11. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    good for you. that's what i did and i have no regrets, just a little more debt, but that will be nothing in comparison to what we're about to embark on.

12. Pre-Dent-David

Pre-Dent-David Super Hero
    7+ Year Member

I did the 5 year plan in highschool.... IT WAS AWESOME! ha jkkkkk.