wolfspeaker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2008
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
What are your favorite staple foods? (what do you eat all the time, more than say, once a week?)

What are your favorite "treat" foods? (what do you love, but don't have that often?)

Me: I tend to eat a lot of spaghetti, chicken, cereal(hot or cold) and lately cheap boxed foods. But the boxed foods aren't necessarily my favorites, just food to get me by. I have a terrible diet right now due to lack of funds. But soon that will change and I'll be getting more fruits and veggies and non-processed food. Oh yeah, coffee! Who could forget the coffee? Mmmm

My treat food is a huge burger with lettuce, tomato, mayo, fried onions and cheese from a local bar! Only get it about once a month, but man is it good. And baclava. So tasty!

Ok your turn. Give me some more delicious meal ideas!

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
I eat lots of crap, but nothing specific - just crap.

I don't really watch my diet... kind of a convenience eater. I do make things on a whim, but usually it ends up being dessert or something. :hungover:

I do cook sporadically, but I make it count when I do. Now that It's winter, I make a mean chili, awesome baked potato soup, from-scratch lasagna, and some crock pot specials. Also, I recently learned how easy it is to make kettle corn on the stove... enjoying that quite a bit.

Also, just an aside from the food snob within, but making hot cocoa from packets is silly and never tastes right, and making it with WATER is especially gross.

Now excuse me while I go do parasit HW and let my arteries harden.

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2009
MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
What I DO eat and what I WANT to eat are often vastly different. Lots of junk food. LOTS. I mean hey, I work in a vet clinic, people bring us cookies and they are free. I have a lot of microwave meals, mostly the Morningstar fake chicken things and frozen veggies. My cooking skills are limited, as is my time.

However, when I am stressed, I bake. I love to bake. My coworker gave me like 20 cans of frosting just to get me to make more cupcakes. My specialty is chocolate covered cake balls/truffles. White-chocolate oreo, white chocolate red velvet, pumpkin cream cheese, you name it. And yummy breads, like banana bread and pumpkin bread. My most prized possession is my huge stand mixer. :D So come see me if you want to get fat and happy.

scb44f

Llamas and cattle and sheep, oh my!
7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2009
MO
Status
Veterinarian
Also, just an aside from the food snob within, but making hot cocoa from packets is silly and never tastes right, and making it with WATER is especially gross.
I've never had real hot cocoa I guess, but my SO's mom makes a mean instant mix herself, using Nesquik I think (it's really better than it sounds...). I do agree though that making it with water is just awful. I let him make some one night and I was like, "This tastes funny." Then I realized he had used water so I let him drink the rest :)

As for what I eat, definitely a convenience eater here too. I do not bother cooking just for myself now that my SO and I don't live together, but when we did, I cooked more often, and I will when we move back in together.

I especially love homemade chicken parm, but it's a lot of work for just 2 people so I don't make it very often. Usually it's Hamburger Helper, canned fruit, eggs, pancakes, all sorts of yummy stuff. I'm hoping to branch out into casseroles, beef stews or roast beef next winter.

ETA: I love baking. Oh, and cake decorating. When I left the two clinics I was at last spring for the summer, I made them each cakes and decorated them using a homemade icing recipe. The roses turned out more like carnations though, since it had been ohhh... 8 years since I had made roses.

Last edited:

SocialStigma

OVC c/o 2015
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2009
Midwest, US
Status
Resident [Any Field], Veterinarian
Sushi and pasta!

I love love both. I also have Post honey bunches and oats with skim milk for breakfast pretty much every morning unless I've ran out of milk.

I also love potatoes but they take so long to cook that I eat them probably once a month.

My treat foods are chips and candy in bulk..I get eat these pretty much exclusively only during exams haha.

katryn

UTCVM c/o 2014!!!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Status
Veterinary Student
I am learning to love cooking! I got tired of seeing all of the processed crap on boxed food labels, so I've learned to make some of my favorite meals myself. I've also enjoyed finding different ways of including veggies(gross) into things in a way that tastes good. For example, grated eggplant pizza crust. Pizza crust made of eggplant, cheese, egg white, and almond meal.....tastes like whole wheat pizza crust....and I eat an entire serving of veggies with every slice. :p

My treat food is cookies and cream milkshakes from chick-fil-a.

I also really really miss Dr. Pepper, but I do not miss not sleeping for three days after having one.

Dec 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I know I'm really stressed when I crave a big bowel of mac and cheese, sauerkraut and veggie hot dogs all mixed together. Gross, huh? But I love it. The ultimate comfort food for me.

New Foundland

be seeing you
Jan 6, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
On a short list, I'd have to include falafel (made myself), all kinds of pastas, veggie sushi, and indian/pakistani food (usually rice/veggie curry dishes from awesome local places) :love:

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I love meatless Big Macs and BK veggie burgers with extra mayo. I don't get them very often anymore because the boyfriend with a car went away to school :(

As a treat, I'll buy myself cookies or ice cream.

Jamr0ckin

UTK c/o 2016
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2010
East TN
Status
Veterinarian
I cook frequently - mostly pasta and chicken. I also eat a lot of rice, spanish style (homemade).

I LOVE veggies, and have been known to have a dinner consisting of a big bowl of peas and corn.

I eat a lot of frozen dinners too, like the Healthy Choice Steamers and the Birds Eye microwave veggies/pasta in the steam bag.

BUT, my specialty is homemade salsa. I have a food processor and make big batches of it to eat on all week.

iheartmycorgi

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2009
The Puget Sound
Status
Pre-Veterinary
my diet is soo unfortunate right now. i live on coffee, apples, progresso soup, goldfish, string cheese and ice cream... i'm not kidding. i don't really have time or money to cook. if i had more money i would probably go out to eat more often because i am really bad at cooking :(

that redhead

7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2010
The things I eat most frequently are granola bars, fruit of all kinds, soup, honey bunches of oats and bagels. I do have too much junk food (Chik fil A, pizza) and I drink way too much Diet Pepsi for my own good, too. I love to cook, but only cook when my boyfriend is over because cooking for one is both depressing and yields more leftovers than I want. I tend to buy varied things to keep me interested, so I'll buy apples one week and then pears the next. For my boyfriend, I've made steaks, pork tenderloin, chicken, shepherds pie, stirfry, rice and usually frozen peas or fresh green beans or broccoli. I buy the stuff that's on sale for the week and then rotate to whatever's on sale after that and it works out pretty well. I love to eat healthy things, actually, but it's hard to buy small enough quantities for one person and have it keep for the week or longer (lettuce for salads, for example).

For treat food, I do love me a Chipotle burrito :D

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
I cook a lot :)
Things in my freezer waiting to be eaten... Homemade mac and cheese, shepherds pie, chicken parmesan, beef stew, sweet and sour kielbasa, onion & bacon burgers, super garlicky hummus, a cheesy chicken casserole thingie, french onion soup and probably more that I'm forgetting about now. My freezer is PACKED. In the fridge I've got cheese dip and cream cheese dip (see the "cheese" theme? I like cheese :) ) There's a ham steak and pineapple in there waiting to be eaten as well.
I eat a lot of beef and chicken. I make a pretty mean steak, so that happens pretty often. My idea of an easy meal is throwing a burger on the george foreman grill and adding some bacon/cheese. I also have some AWESOME fish recipes, but unfortunately, the seafood selection in this town is scary.

I actually dont spend any more on food now than I did when I was working. IF anything, I spend less because I tend to eat at school 2-3 nights a week for meetings and such. I'm careful to buy things on sale, and I buy in bulk when I can- big "family packs" of something will last me a couple weeks, which is nice. I split things like chicken, ground beef, steaks, etc up and freeze them individually. I'm considering getting a chest freezer so I can really stock up on things :)

I rarely buy chips, cookies, icecream and other things like that, so those are pretty much my comfort foods after a crappy day/week (or if I'm just really really starving while attempting to grocery shop!)

In short, I have no intentions of cooking before any exams, or at all for about two weeks before/during finals

Jamr0ckin

UTK c/o 2016
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2010
East TN
Status
Veterinarian
I cook a lot :)
Things in my freezer waiting to be eaten... sweet and sour kielbasa...
I would LOVE that recipe. I love kielbasa, actually have an unopened package waiting to be eaten...

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
I would LOVE that recipe. I love kielbasa, actually have an unopened package waiting to be eaten...

Heh, me and recipes are not friends. I tend to wing it, for the most part. I think for that one, I used a jar of tomato-based chili sauce (heinz, probably), an equal amount of grape jelly, 1 tsp hot sauce, and some red pepper flakes. I seem to recall having to add some more jelly to cool it down a bit, so use caution. You could probably cut out the hot sauce without a problem

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
Status
Veterinary Student
I still have the pleasures of home-cooking (live at home), and that's one of the things I'm freaking out a bit for vet school (that, and having to pump my own gas :D). I tend to eat really poorly when I'm stressed.

My staples: chicken parmesan, any other kind of chicken, yogurt, pasta.

My love foods: black and white cookies. Definitely. And Chinese food.

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2009
MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I still have the pleasures of home-cooking (live at home), and that's one of the things I'm freaking out a bit for vet school (that, and having to pump my own gas :D). I tend to eat really poorly when I'm stressed.

My staples: chicken parmesan, any other kind of chicken, yogurt, pasta.

My love foods: black and white cookies. Definitely. And Chinese food.
Lol, I'm a Jersey girl too. I remember the first time I drove out of state for the weekend to visit a boyfriend in CT when I was in high school. The night before I left, I went "OH MY GOD, HOW DO I PUMP GAS?!?!" and my mother laughed at me a lot.

Also: OMFG black and white cookies. I love them so much. So. Much.

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2009
MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Haha, you silly Jerseyers with your gas and your lack of left turns....
Yup, and we love watching out-of-staters trying to navigate our circles! :laugh:
Seriously though, 17-year-old me nearly had a panic attack when I realized I had no idea how to pump my own gas. In retrospect, it was pretty hilarious.

sooprnova

Penn c/o 2016!
May 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Heh, me and recipes are not friends. I tend to wing it, for the most part. I think for that one, I used a jar of tomato-based chili sauce (heinz, probably), an equal amount of grape jelly, 1 tsp hot sauce, and some red pepper flakes. I seem to recall having to add some more jelly to cool it down a bit, so use caution. You could probably cut out the hot sauce without a problem

I eat a lot of garbage, but that pretty much made me barf a little.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
Status
Veterinary Student
Haha, you silly Jerseyers with your gas and your lack of left turns....

Agree with you there! HATE the no left turn thing. You need to drive 5 miles in the other direction to turn around and go where you want to go. On the other hand, we do get to make a right on red!

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
I eat a lot of garbage, but that pretty much made me barf a little.
I thought it sounded nasty before I had it for the first time too. It's one of those things you just need to try. Once you melt the jelly down, it doesn't taste grape-like at all. I've made the same dish with molasses, but it's a lot thicker that way.

ETA: And I HATE grape jelly on sandwiches and stuff. Can't eat it unless its been boiled down and mixed with something else. There is no grape jelly-ness to it at all by the time im done.

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
Agree with you there! HATE the no left turn thing. You need to drive 5 miles in the other direction to turn around and go where you want to go. On the other hand, we do get to make a right on red!
Most states I know you get to make the right on red too :p Jersey's not =that= special :)

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
Status
Veterinary Student
Most states I know you get to make the right on red too :p Jersey's not =that= special :)

Pft. Haha. Well, my world basically consists of New York and New Jersey (sometimes PA, and sometimes FL). And in NY, there's no right on red :)

P.S. We think we're pretty special ;)

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2009
MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Pft. Haha. Well, my world basically consists of New York and New Jersey (sometimes PA, and sometimes FL). And in NY, there's no right on red :)

P.S. We think we're pretty special ;)
In so many ways. Pineys, anyone?

Also, nowhere else in the states can you find 24 hour diners like we have in Jersey. Something I sorely miss since moving to the midwest. Mmmmm, diner shakes and fries. Talk about indulging in food that's bad for you!

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
Status
Veterinary Student
What parts of NY were you in? I grew up in NY and have always made R on R. I think the city is the only part where you can't, and even that's because its physically impossible, not necessarily illegal!
I guess my world of NY is limited to the city. I'm so sheltered :(

Jamr0ckin

UTK c/o 2016
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2010
East TN
Status
Veterinarian
Sounds amazing. The hotter the better for me... i currently am eating on a jar of habenero jelly. YUM!

sooprnova

Penn c/o 2016!
May 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I thought it sounded nasty before I had it for the first time too. It's one of those things you just need to try. Once you melt the jelly down, it doesn't taste grape-like at all. I've made the same dish with molasses, but it's a lot thicker that way.

ETA: And I HATE grape jelly on sandwiches and stuff. Can't eat it unless its been boiled down and mixed with something else. There is no grape jelly-ness to it at all by the time im done.

I'll just take your word for it. ;) I have an uncle who would make his "famous Christmas fudge" every year and we would all look forward to it. One year he finally gave us the recipe, and it included VELVEETA. Needless to say, the Christmas fudge remained famous, but was no longer a staple of our Christmas spread!

sooprnova

Penn c/o 2016!
May 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Sounds amazing. The hotter the better for me... i currently am eating on a jar of habenero jelly. YUM!
What spicy things are you eating atop that jar of jelly? Sorry....it's late and I had to do it.

LMMS

Back Hunting Wolves
Aug 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
In so many ways. Pineys, anyone?
Also, nowhere else in the states can you find 24 hour diners like we have in Jersey. Something I sorely miss since moving to the midwest. Mmmmm, diner shakes and fries. Talk about indulging in food that's bad for you!
Pineys?!? Oh lord, I never thought I'd see the day that term on appeared on SDN! Ha! :D

Hooray for the Jersey diner!!!! Seriously, I swear only we Jerseyites understand the value of 'The Diner'. Philly and DC both have a few decent ones; but they're just not the same as NJ's... Gosh, now I could really go for some diner fries with a grilled cheese... Then wash it all down with a black and white shake. Or maybe a 'genetically altered' piece of coconut cream pie... :p

I would go into my first 'waddya mean I gotta pump my own gas?' story, but, since that's way off the topic...

I'm a pretty lousy cook, am lazy as far as cooking goes, and have a kitchen the size of a postage stamp (hooray for urban living!!). So, sadly, my diet is, as far as I'm concerned, 'ugly'. I'm one of those folks who really should watch what they eat, but have a hard time with my schedule. To make matters worse, I tend to go through food 'phases'. It's been lots of toast with cheese and salad for dinner recently. Occasionally I stop at the local Whole Foods on the way home on school nights to pick up something 'good' to eat. Their vegan ravioli is to die for! So, to compensate for my at home nutrition 'horrors', and the fact that I rarely get time for lunch at work, I do my best to have a decent breakfast - yogurt, high fiber bread, fruit, etc. along with my coffee.

As for treats, I'm a sucker for pie, ice cream (Ben and Jerry's Strawberry Cheesecake is a personal favorite), and 'fun' cereals like Froot Loops and Cap'n Crunch.

squibby

Illinois CVM c/o 2015
Sep 9, 2009
CA
Status
Veterinary Student
Mint chip ice cream.

Mac and cheese with chopped :spam: in it. :eek:

Oh, and gummies (not Black Forest brand, ew)

futurevet3000

Dick Vet 2015
Aug 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Mac and cheese with chopped :spam: in it. :eek:

Oh... god, why?

I was going to announce that anytime I study and/or feel stressed I make a box of kraft mac n cheese, and add some shredded sharp cheddar to the main ingredients (of which I do not follow the box directions, I have my own amounts I put in), and presto... a delicious meal. Yes, i eat the entire box, its not that big of a box... its meant to feed small children, right?

I had a biochem exam yesterday, and you betcha I ate it Thursday night!

If I get into vet school, my pantry will be stocked to the extreme.

canis13

Tufts V'15
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
Anything and everything from the frozen section of Trader Joes. That has pretty much made up all of the dinners I've eaten at home for the last 2 years.

Breakfast is a breakfast sandwich from either Wawa or Dunkin Donuts. But the whole "pick 2 pay $3" deal with Sizzli's means that Wawa usually wins the "DD or Wawa?" contest these days. Also, Wawa has the best cappuccino machine of any convenience store ever (my personal combo is 1/2 pumpkin spice, 1/2 mocha alert).

Sorry, I'll stop waxing poetic about Wawa now.

squibby

Illinois CVM c/o 2015
Sep 9, 2009
CA
Status
Veterinary Student
Oh... god, why?
Because my mom made it when I was a kid. Isn't that how we come up with much of our food taste? It's really not that bad, if you can get over thinking about what's in the spam.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
You know what guys, squib here is right. Here's my big oddity: I drink milk. With nearly everything. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy? Gotta have a big, cold glass of milk to drink with that. Chili? Milk. Spaghetti? Milk. Eggs and bacon? Milk.

The only thing that absolutely does not go with milk is pizza.

And if anyone here has a PBJ with anything OTHER than milk, I don't know if we can be friends.

Anyway, this would most certainly not be the case if I hadn't been required to have milk with every meal as a child.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
Becoming lactose tolerant would be like becoming allergic to cats... it would ultimately end in a resolution to be miserable for the rest of my foreseeable lifetime.

squibby

Illinois CVM c/o 2015
Sep 9, 2009
CA
Status
Veterinary Student
:hello: lactose intolerant as well

Have you heard of Digestive Advantage once-a-day lactose intolerance tx? Available everywhere online. Works wonders for me. Could never remember to take the pills when I ate.

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
Baking is my stress reliever. The day before our last histo test, I baked up some lemon bars from scratch. Delicious. I may be biased though. Cowgirla had some and she seemed to like them.

Mmmm, they were delicious! Even if I did almost get mobbed leaving your house :laugh:
I owe you a meal! If we both flunk out of vet school, we should totally open a restaurant or something, because this town desperately needs a good one.

bonaparte

UC Davis c/o 2015
Mar 30, 2010
Davis
Status
Veterinary Student
Recently, my eyes have been opened to a whole new realm of delicious fruit. Well, not really a realm, more like a particular kind of apple — Honeycrisp apples. Has anyone tried these before? Forget your Granny Smith or Fuji, Honeycrisp are the epitome of what a good apple is. They have the perfect texture, just the right amount of sweetness and juice, and they are also giant.

Despite how silly this sounds, I am seriously excited about my new fruit discovery! :D

kanariya

That's a Bingo!
Aug 14, 2010
NOLA/BR Bound
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Recently, my eyes have been opened to a whole new realm of delicious fruit. Well, not really a realm, more like a particular kind of apple — Honeycrisp apples. Has anyone tried these before? Forget your Granny Smith or Fuji, Honeycrisp are the epitome of what a good apple is. They have the perfect texture, just the right amount of sweetness and juice, and they are also giant.

Despite how silly this sounds, I am seriously excited about my new fruit discovery! :D
OMG Honeycrisp apples are the ****! I had them for the first time about a year ago when I had lunch with my aunt and they became my new favorite! I'm pretty pickey about apples (because I absolutely hate both red and yellow) I'm more of a GS, Gala, and Pink Lady eater.

I have a pretty strict diet because of serious health issues (4 in fact, that severly limit the food that I am able to digest/tolerate), mostly vegan (but I do eat egg whites occasionally and seafood, of course) and all clean (i.e. non-processed foods), so I am constantly cooking. I usually make fresh fruit breads weekly (for breakfast with herbal teas, I can't have coffee), I make and freeze soups and legumes for quick meals during the week. I go to the market every week for fresh fruit and veggies for soups/salads/smoothies and whatever recipie I plan on making for the week (making some Mediterranian 7-Vegetable couscous and zucchini bread tomorrow).

Snacks are usually fresh fruit, bagels with lox and soy cream cheese and yum-yum dairy free ice cream. I like the coconut milk variety best. I usually have sushi at least one a week (it's an addiction, really) and also enjoy Thai, Indian and Chinese in rotation, but not as often.

Last edited:

psilovethomas

fading
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2010
Status
Veterinarian
Just made homemade mac and cheese and no bake cookies for my boyfriend and his roommates. :) My favorites!

scb44f

Llamas and cattle and sheep, oh my!
7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2009
MO
Status
Veterinarian
The only thing that absolutely does not go with milk is pizza.
We had milk with everything at my house. This included pizza (which we also ate carrots with every time). Mmm carrots...

Part of the reason that is turning me off of cooking is how dirty the kitchen gets with my roommates not putting their dirty pans away, or washing them immediately. They use them and leave them on the stove, which to me is icky...

I cleaned the kitchen today though... so maybe I could've used it, but I still didn't have anything to cook. Oh wells.